The Student Room Group

Any chiropractors??

I have been offered an interview, through clearing at the uni of glamorgan to study Mchiro chiropractic. I am leaning towards a career change, as I have a scientific research undergrad in biomaterials but dont really want to continue doing research, as biomaterials is generally underfunded and there is no definitive career path. Also, dont see myself doing a P.H.D and working in a lab for another 3 years?!!.

I dont really know much about chiropractors as a profession, so would like to know if its a rewarding profession and as far I know its pretty well paid (those working in private practices).

Do you think I should take this opportunity to study at the Uni of Glamorgan, especially considering the lack of places avalaible through clearing this year and the entrance requirments are ABB. (pretty high), which suggests its a demanding course.
Sorry if this seems rude, but why on earth would you want to change from a proper science subject, to a made up woo one?
Reply 2
biomaterials_guy

I dont really know much about chiropractors as a profession, so would like to know if its a rewarding profession and as far I know its pretty well paid (those working in private practices).

It is a load of ********, simply put.
Reply 3
Chiropractic is about as worthwhile as homeopathy.
Hmmm worthless??? yet the university entry requirments to study are ABB and many work with GP's in helping long term sufferers of neck and back pain.

Many GP's will simply prescribe anti-inflammatorys for such injuries, but doctors of Chiropractic have proven to realign the spine and drastically improve lower back pain without the need for surgery.
Reply 5
Actually there's very little evidence to show that chiropractic works. The fact that chiropractors are are used by GPs proves nothing, because GPs have also been known to send people to homeopaths, and there's even less evidence for that than there is for chiropractic. So yeah, sorry, but it's a load of crap.
Reply 6
biomaterials_guy
Hmmm worthless??? yet the university entry requirments to study are ABB and many work with GP's in helping long term sufferers of neck and back pain.

Many GP's will simply prescribe anti-inflammatorys for such injuries, but doctors of Chiropractic have proven to realign the spine and drastically improve lower back pain without the need for surgery.

:facepalm:

So many mistakes, must...restrain...myself.
digitalis
:facepalm:

So many mistakes, must...restrain...myself.

Keep prescribing pain killers for back related injuries.
Reply 8
I'd suggest asking the uni what percentage of graduates find employment. I have a couple of friends who see chiros and they seem to charge an extraordinary amount, but then I live in a relatively affluent area.
Reply 9
biomaterials_guy
Keep prescribing pain killers for back related injuries.

:rolleyes:

How would a chiropracter treat a cauda equina then, oh great and learned one?

You haven't even started a degree in anything healthy, it's laughable how you think you are qualified to tell me about treatment options for 'back related injuries' when you self admittedly 'don't know much about chiropracters as a profession'. (What is a 'back related injury' ps? Does a fractured NOF count as a 'back related injury'? I would think that the leg is pretty 'related' to the back!)

Here's some constructive advice: go be a physio which is a recognised discipline where you can help people and have reasonable scope for private practice.

Latest