The Student Room Group

Need some help REALLY bad

hey guys, I know this is a fairly long post but i need help REALLY bad, this could mean the difference between me going to uni and not and I really can't tell you how much I'd appreciate your help for answering this, very awkward scenario
Basically for UEA I needed BBC, I received ACC (A in maths, C in furthers maths and economics)
I thought I would be ok, due to it being the same amount of points overall (i know it doesn't ask for points but you can see what I mean) and my 3 subjects aren't the nicest of the bunch (not only that, but I was only 7 marks off a B in economics)

However, the univesity has still rejected me :frown:(((

I need to know how to argue my case tommorow morning (I know people say it doesn't do much good now but I feel like i have alot to argue for)

(this is the part I really need an answer for)
Basically I've looked through my modules in maths and as many of you know modules in furthers maths and normal maths can be mixed and matched (excluding core and further pure modules)
I've worked it out and there are several combination's where I can clearly get BBC instead of ACC, i know edexcel gives me an AC by default, but is there any way of editing this?

if not, if anyone could give me any strategies in 'begging' for my place I would really appreciate it (as in order of importance of my points)
Reply 1
anonomist
hey guys, I know this is a fairly long post but i need help REALLY bad, this could mean the difference between me going to uni and not and I really can't tell you how much I'd appreciate your help for answering this, very awkward scenario
Basically for UEA I needed BBC, I received ACC (A in maths, C in furthers maths and economics)
I thought I would be ok, due to it being the same amount of points overall (i know it doesn't ask for points but you can see what I mean) and my 3 subjects aren't the nicest of the bunch (not only that, but I was only 7 marks off a B in economics)

I need to know how to argue my case tommorow morning (I know people say it doesn't do much good now but I feel like i have alot to argue for)

Basically I've looked through my modules in maths and as many of you know modules in furthers maths and normal maths can be mixed and matched (excluding core and further pure modules)
I've worked it out and there are several combination's where I can clearly get BBC instead of ACC, i know edexcel gives me an AC by default, but is there any way of editing this?

if not, if anyone could give me any strategies in 'begging' for my place I would really appreciate it (as in order of importance of my points)

My first question is: Why didn't you ring them today? Don't tell me because they were withheld etc... You had 9 hours to ring them, surely there was a time when you could have got through! You should continually rang them until someone answered. This shows how desperate you are to get into the uni!

Just tell them you were only 7 marks a B in economics. Did they specify what grades had to be achieved in which subjects? I get where your coming from with the whole mix-and-match maths thing but tbh, after a hard days work with the phone stuck to their ears, do you really think that they would be bothered to listen to why you got BBC. The answer ... not really. You'll have a better chance telling them you only missed a B by 7 marks.
Reply 2
anonomist

I have been out of the loop for 6 months and I have feeling it was going to change but the way Maths, FM modiule split used to work was that they allocated modules to (in order):
i)Maximise Maths grade
ii)Maximise FM grade.

So you will get AC not BB

Hence I think UEA or gone.
Instead focus on alternatives in clearing.
1)Start rining around unis.
2)Get list from Independent newspaper or UCAS Clearing Course Search online,

Places that were in clearing yesterday include, Essex, Kent, Lancaster, Queen Mary, Royal Holliway. Look at TAELT 2010 for their typical 2010 offers. (You may not need their typical offer to get in).

ATB

Latest