The Student Room Group

Can i apply for biology with a B in Biology?

here's the thing... I got 2A*s (maths + statistics) 5As (double science + music + german + history) 3Bs (Business studies, Eng Lang, Religious Studies) and a C (Eng Lit) in GCSEs...

Then I got AAABB In A Levels, with a B in biology and chemistry. They are like 4 marks out of 300 away from an A and I got 287/300 in maths + furthermaths and for eco I got 80/100 in Unit 1 and 95/100 in Unit 2...

How does that look to unis? Can I still apply to unis like UCL, imperial and good unis?
Reply 1
If you're predicted all As next year then there is no harm in applying, but you'll struggle as it's quite competative. You can always call up and ask whether they would consider your application and whether they would prefer you to retake units or not.
Reply 2
Biology isn't very competitive; however, you need an A in biology to get onto the biological sciences course at UCL (at least i did). So you would need to be predicted an A and acheive an A in biology for UCL and possibly Imperial too (although you didn't need an A this year). With those grades and A predictions in biology and chemistry with A* prediction in maths you can apply to any university you want.
Reply 3
You definitely can apply for biological courses with a B in biology. However, if your aim is the top-notch ones, then you will have to convince them that you can get an A in the end, or at least have a good reason why you can't, especially now that they've introduced in the A*!
At imperial, UCL, Oxbridge, Durham and etc, you will definitely need an A in biology overall.

Though at other institutions with top-notch biology departments like Sheffield, I think they're not so set on you must get an A, though do check with them! =]

Hope that helps!

Latest

Trending

Trending