The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

frenzied
This is really interesting as well, what would you say to Oxbridge though? That you're on a gap year?

Presumably you'd mention in your PS plans for your gap year... mixed reports on whether admission tutors put much store in the PS though so it isn't something to get too concerned about.
Reply 21
PercyChatsworth
Presumably you'd mention in your PS plans for your gap year... mixed reports on whether admission tutors put much store in the PS though so it isn't something to get too concerned about.

I also presume them that their school provided them with a reference?
frenzied
I also presume them that their school provided them with a reference?

Yes, they did. You'd be applying as an independent candidate so your school has to send you the reference and you copy and paste it into the application.
Reply 23
PercyChatsworth
Yes, they did. You'd be applying as an independent candidate so your school has to send you the reference and you copy and paste it into the application.

Okay, thank you for all this help, I really appreciate it. Little unsure how I'd claim I was on a gap year in an interview haha!

I'm looking into asking Kings to defer my place to next year and reapply, so that I still have a place there next year come what may.
frenzied

I'm looking into asking Kings to defer my place to next year and reapply, so that I still have a place there next year come what may.

Unfortunately you can't hold offers in two different application cycles at the same time. If you could, lots of people would hedge their bets by holding onto an offer while applying to other courses during their gap year. UCAS will boot your 2011 entry application if you have an offer open on your 2010 application even if it has been deferred.
Reply 25
PercyChatsworth
Unfortunately you can't hold offers in two different application cycles at the same time. If you could, lots of people would hedge their bets by holding onto an offer while applying to other courses during their gap year. UCAS will boot your 2011 entry application if you have an offer open on your 2010 application even if it has been deferred.

True.

Choices are:
(a) accept Kings for 2010 entry and apply to Oxbridge while in first year and then restart first year if accepted
(b) defer Kings and have a gap year but you wouldn't be able to apply to other universities in the 2011 application cycle as you would be holding a firm offer already
(c) get released from Kings, take a gap year, and make a fresh application for 2011 entry hoping like mad that you haven't made a balls of things
Reply 26
JCM89
True.

Choices are:
(a) accept Kings for 2010 entry and apply to Oxbridge while in first year and then restart first year if accepted
(b) defer Kings and have a gap year but you wouldn't be able to apply to other universities in the 2011 application cycle as you would be holding a firm offer already
(c) get released from Kings, take a gap year, and make a fresh application for 2011 entry hoping like mad that you haven't made a balls of things

I would say A is probably therefore the best option, because by no means am I disappointed by Kings and at the moment I have no idea what I should do if I took a gap year.

I'm therefore assuming my UCAS application would solely be for Cambridge? Just a tad worried about making up an elaborate lie about being on a gap year to them!
frenzied
Just a tad worried about making up an elaborate lie about being on a gap year to them!

This would be folly as (a) you have to declare your presence at KCL on the education section of your UCAS application, and the only sensible place to go to for a reference would be your KCL tutor and (b) Cambridge does not normally (as a matter of principle) accept applications from undergraduate students at other universities.

The relevant part of the Cambridge website says:

Please note that the Cambridge Colleges will not normally, as a matter of principle, consider applications from students attending other UK universities applying to study the same or a very similar subject at Cambridge.

If you wish to make such an application it will have to be strongly supported by your tutor at your current university. A reference or letter of recommendation from him/her to the Cambridge College will be required, and only then can a Cambridge College consider it.

If you wish to apply to Cambridge to read a different subject from the one you are currently studying at a UK university, we would assume that you had had a change of heart and no longer wish to study the subject you are currently pursuing. In this case your application would be considered, but would still need strong support from your current university tutor.
Reply 28
frenzied

I'm therefore assuming my UCAS application would solely be for Cambridge? Just a tad worried about making up an elaborate lie about being on a gap year to them!

Doesn't have to be elaborate - many peoples gap years are forced as they didn't get into where they want to go to or they needed to earn some money so that they can afford and enjoy their university experience.

It would be cheaper to just list one choice in your UCAS form - might look a bit presumptuous though. If I were applying I would stick down another couple of courses which you can withdraw from before interview.

Applying to Oxbridge in this way is not as uncommon as people think. In my year at school, a handful of unsuccessful applicants reapplied during their first year on other courses - the school knew about it and nothing was said - and a couple of these got into Cambridge and one to Oxford. I also know several people on my course at Oxford who had started off elsewhere and either dropped out when they got their Oxford offer or completed the first year at another university and then started their first year again at Oxford.

In all the cases that I know about, no-one mentioned their university course in the education section or used a university reference for their application.
Reply 29
Well just to update you, I've decided on the back of my schools advice to drop out and try again. It is merely a matter of choosing a college now, one that would ideally maximise my chances following last years failing. Girton and Homerton both interest me.
Reply 30
Original post by PercyChatsworth
I know someone who reapplied to Cambridge during their first year at UCL, got in and then started at Cambridge the following year. They didn't mention that they'd started another course on their UCAS application - as technically they hadn't when they completed the form.

If I hadn't got into Oxford I would probably have done this exact same thing, assuming that the offer I did have was acceptable and I would be happy to continue to years 2-3 of that degree if I got a second rejection from the Oxbridge application.

I am the parent of a potential oxbridge student for 2012 (with one already there) who is intrigued. My question is who did their reference? the old School? I perceive that the whole university application process is a dark art especially for oxbridge. My own experience and anecdotes from others leads me to believe that if you have the good enough GCSe's and AS UMS your childs future or at least interview chances lies totally in the hands of the referee and predictor chosen by the School. So I am curious about reapplying with achieved grades in hand. Who else could do the reference if the School were not effusive enough in the first place - if indeed a reference is required. FWW given the opaque system these kids have to wade through applying from another course seems fair enough.
Original post by Shnufulduful
Bump

Why are you bumping this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the question that was asked in the last post about references.
Reply 33

In 2011...

I applied to Oxford after a year at another university. I got my Biology teacher from my 6th form to write my reference (I applied for Biological Sciences), and that seemed fine. A reference can be made by anyone with an academic relationship to you (teacher, head of 6th form, university tutor, etc.)
I've closed this thread as it is mega old - if you've got questions about applications, it's much better to start a new thread :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending