The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
I'm doing French too xD and I asked a friend who does French and German. Apparently it's best to wait till freshers to get your books cos you can buy 'em cheaper then :smile:
Reply 3
Ahh good job :smile: see you there lol, aye I had a look at the reading lists but theres hundreds of them :redface:....hopefully you don't need to buy them all
Reply 4
ollie_77
Ahh good job :smile: see you there lol, aye I had a look at the reading lists but theres hundreds of them :redface:....hopefully you don't need to buy them all

I have a few friends who do French and German degrees and one who does French-German-Russian :eek3:. There are only a few books you will need to buy. I can recall some of the books they had although I don't know if the course has changed or not.

I recommend all new undergraduates to check out the Barnardos Bookshop in Bell Street during Freshers' Week. They sometimes have second hand course books which are in good condition and cheaper than you will get in Blackwells. I've seen French and German course books in there before.

I often get my books online. I'm a bit of a cheap skate and I find buying them new online cheaper than getting them in St Andrews.
Reply 5
Lucia.

I often get my books online. I'm a bit of a cheap skate and I find buying them new online cheaper than getting them in St Andrews.

Ditto! :yep: I think it's a bit more like Blackwells being extortionate than us being cheap skates :p:
Not that I'm trying to put Blackwells out of business, but as soon as you know what books you need, get on to Amazon/Play/Abebooks etc and you'll be guaranteed to find the book a lot cheaper there!
Reply 6
Having said that, you can sometimes get secondhand ones at Blackwells, and if you get a Blackwells Reward Card, you eventually get credit for your points. I got a book basically for free thanks to my Reward Card.
Reply 7
Hey! Im doing French aswell, with Spanish though. Thank God I came across this post - I pure didnt know whether I should have had an email or something telling me what to get haha... So thanks I guess :biggrin:!

Latest

Trending

Trending