The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

Proper Name: Rosie
Nick name: Roro...occasionally razza :s-smilie:
What subject you're going to do?: Medicine witha pre med year
What are you most looking forward to about Sheffield?: Meeting new people..getting away from belfast!
...and Least?: Pre med physics aaahh
What accommodation are you in?: Howden D4 room 5
Self-catered or catered?: Self-catered
En-suite?: yep
What are you going to do on the first day? make as many new friends as possible!..then idk, get trashed?
Why did you choose Sheffield as your firm? best med school with a pre med option imo and the only one to give me an offer haha
Are you interested in joining any societies/sports teams?: medsoc definitely, tennis and maybe sailing
Is anyone you know also going to Sheffield or are you all on your lonesome? all alone!
Hair colour: Blonde
D.O.B: 04/07/1991
Eye colour: blue
A2 subjects: French, Spanish, Biology
Any pets?: nope...dog passed away during the exams :frown:
Fave band/artist: like most things..atm its probs katy perry/lady gaga or rihanna
Fave song: love the way you lie
Fave TV show: greys anatomy, desp housewives, mock the week, curb your enthusiasm...
Fave hobby: tennis
Fave colour: pink haha how cliche..
Fave food: anything mum makes...don't know how i'll cope!
Fave sport: tennis, sailing..follow the golf a bit but don't play anymore
Which football team do you support?: not really into it
Fave non-alcoholic drink: diet coke/hot chocolate
Fave alcoholic drink: double vodka and diet coke or malibu and sprite
How often do you drink?: check out my nationality :wink:
Do you smoke?: occasionally enough to not feel hypocritical when nagging friends about lung cancer haha
Can you play an instrument?: nope
Can you speak a foreign language?: french and spanish to a level
What makes you happy?:being out with friends, a good book and obviously chocolate
What's your pet hate? arrogance and people using others or taking responsibility for someone elses work
Describe yourself in 5 words: friendly, excited (for sheffield), nervous, enthusiastic and a bit lazy at times...
Anything else you want to say... Can't wait for sheffield! Hope its as good as i remember from my visit!
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
ANYONE IN UNIVERSITY ACCOMMODATION:

i know this is really complicated but i am going to ask anyway.

i am joining shef in september 2010 and going to live with some friends in a house.

my parents are really strict and INSIST on me going to uni accommodation... problem is my dad will come to uk with me for the first two weeks to make sure i settle well (i am from sri lanka)

so, in the first two weeks of my semester (mid until end september) i will need to pretend i live in uni accommodation.

would anyone here be willing to swap rooms with me for the two weeks (i will pay for the trouble you are going through) and either you can live in my room in the house in that period or i will pay for a hotel or so for you to stay in.

in case you want to know more about me, pm me or something...

i am male btw

cheers
Reply 22
need uni room
ANYONE IN UNIVERSITY ACCOMMODATION:

i know this is really complicated but i am going to ask anyway.

i am joining shef in september 2010 and going to live with some friends in a house.

my parents are really strict and INSIST on me going to uni accommodation... problem is my dad will come to uk with me for the first two weeks to make sure i settle well (i am from sri lanka)

so, in the first two weeks of my semester (mid until end september) i will need to pretend i live in uni accommodation.

would anyone here be willing to swap rooms with me for the two weeks (i will pay for the trouble you are going through) and either you can live in my room in the house in that period or i will pay for a hotel or so for you to stay in.

in case you want to know more about me, pm me or something...

i am male btw

cheers

There is a tv show in this.
Reply 23
danny1mcc

How often do you drink?: I'm irish.

Rosieposie4791

How often do you drink?: check out my nationality :wink:

Can we be friends?
danny1mcc
There is a tv show in this.

well i am serious about needing the uni room

can anyone think of any other option i have got? is it possible to rent rooms from the university or something? like guest rooms?
need uni room

can anyone think of any other option i have got? is it possible to rent rooms from the university or something? like guest rooms?

ring them ffs and ask. i think it's all a bit silly really.
Reply 26
need uni room

I'm pretty sure this isn't the answer anyway. Who'd wanna give up freshers week and have to meet their housemates 2 weeks late in the first place.

Just tell your dad that you lied to him when you land in Sheffield and that all the uni accom is taken anyway. Plug the benefits of living with ppl you know-more trust therefore arguably safer, cheaper, less likely that you'll be living with 6 ppl on ket etc etc.

Altho ideally this convo happens BEFORE you go over.
Reply 28
Proper Name: Noor
Nick name: Noodle/Noonoo/Noreo/Noorina/many more haha
What subject you're going to do?: English Language & Linguistics
What are you most looking forward to about Sheffield?: Meeting new friends and living in a city!
...and Least?: the debt-ness
What accommodation are you in?: E2 Millstone, Endcliffe - Room 4
Self-catered or catered?: Self-catered
En-suite?: Yes
What are you going to do on the first day?: GO FREAKIN CRAZY
Why did you choose Sheffield as your firm?: Amazing city with really friendly down-to-earth people, good students union, good course
Are you interested in joining any societies/sports teams?: RockSoc! and maybe a few other random ones
Is anyone you know also going to Sheffield or are you all on your lonesome?: A couple, and two already in Hallam
Hair colour: Brown, planning to dye it blue soon haha
D.O.B: 30th September 1991
Eye colour: Brown
A2 subjects: French, English Lang, Politics
Any pets?: I had a mini-hedgehog.. who I've given to a friend to look after whilst I'm at uni :smile:
Fave band/artist: I have many! I love all music.. but I'm a massive metalhead haha :smile:
Fave song: Trains by Porcupine Tree
Fave TV show: LOST!, Top Gear, Mock the Week, Snog/Marry/Avoid hahah
Fave hobby: eating lolll
Fave colour: Green
Fave food: this is weird, but blackberries!
Fave sport: Not really a sporty person.. I prefer just running
Fave non-alcoholic drink: Hot ribena!
Fave alcoholic drink: Apple Sourz? haha
How often do you drink?: Not very often. Alot more this summer. However I'm pretty sure this will change once uni starts!
Do you smoke?: No.
Can you play an instrument?: Guitar and Piano :smile:
Can you speak a foreign language?: French (a level standard)
What makes you happy?: Sunny weather/racing/music/happy people
What's your pet hate?: Dishonesty
Describe yourself in 5 words: Friendly, 'eccentric', non-judgemental, happy and interesting!
Anything else you want to say...: Let's party hard be friends!
danny1mcc
Can we be friends?

Of course! haha where abouts do you live in belfast?
danny1mcc
Can we be friends?

It's comedy because my only Irish friend (so far) drinks ridiculous amounts. It's one of those stereotypes I'm finding to be well earnt.
WithFlyingColours
It's comedy because my only Irish friend (so far) drinks ridiculous amounts. It's one of those stereotypes I'm finding to be well earnt.

yeah...its kind of true i suppose but i doubt its any more than the english drink!
Reply 32
danny1mcc

What are you going to do on the first day? Gotta buy a lot of my stuff in sheffield as I'm flying in-damn u ryanair and ur crafty money swindling baggage restriction schemes makin me poor!

D.O.B: 29th sept 1990 (hopes no one notices I'm a bit old)

Is it me, or does it seem like all the fees went up for baggage! I have to buy pretty much everything I need when I get there. Such a pain :sigh:

And 1990 is the best year ever. Just throwing it out there.

need uni room

Anyone caught renting their room out to you would basically have their contract terminated so anyone who did decide to offer you the room would be in big trouble.
http://www.shef.ac.uk/accommodation/guest
There's guest accommodation info there.

Proper name: Jessica
Nicknames: Jessie, Jess
What subject you're going to do?: International Politics and East Asian Studies
What are you most looking forward to about Sheffield?: The course, the uni, and being abroad again
...and Least?: Baggage. I have vowed to never fly US Airways again, as I don't like to have to pay for a second bag on international flights. :mad:
What accommodation are you in?: Crescent Flats Flat 18
Self-catered or catered?: Self-catered. Love cooking and can't stand 'cafeteria' food
En-suite?: No :sigh:
What are you going to do on the first day? Unpack, search the city for cooking supplies...(US Airways ::shakes fist:: )
Why did you choose Sheffield as your firm?: The course is exactly what I'm looking for
Are you interested in joining any societies/sports teams?: Still unsure but will mostlikely end up joining at least 2
Is anyone you know also going to Sheffield or are you all on your lonesome? Just me and my lonesome self
Hair colour: Brownish blondish mix. Changes depending how much time I spend in the sun
D.O.B: 20 Aug 1990
Eye colour: Brown
A2 subjects: Didn't take any
Any brothers/sisters?: An older sister and 2 younger brothers
Any pets?: 3 cats (not a cat lady! Two of them are my family's cats and the other is mine)
Fave band/artist: Too many to really call them faves
Fave song: Harmony - Susie Suh, Count on Me - Bruno Mars, Nu ABO - F(x)
Fave TV show: Crime Shows (NCIS, White Collar, Bones, The Closer, etc.), Gossip Girl
Fave film: Don't have a fave, just many enjoyable films
Fave hobby: Reading, making jewellery, travelling
Fave colour: Purple
Fave food: Pretty even tie between Indian, Chinese, and my Mum
Fave sport: Football
Which football team do you support?: Man Utd
Fave non-alcoholic drink: Smoothies ^^
Fave alcoholic drink: Gin tonic or Bacardi Breezers
How often do you drink?: Not very often at the moment, but will probs change in a month
Do you smoke?: Never
Can you play an instrument?: Piano and Violin
Can you speak a foreign language?: Spanish, Chinese, a bit of French.
What makes you happy?: Being with friends, dancing, great scenery, baked goods :biggrin:
What's your pet hate?: Untidy people. Can't stand the sight of a dirty kitchen/bathroom
Describe yourself in 5 words: Energetic, friendly, ambitious, 'soccer mom' (many of my friends say I can be very motherly lol)
Anything else you want to say... Can't wait to be in Sheffield! :biggrin:
Reply 33
Rosieposie4791
Of course! haha where abouts do you live in belfast?

Finaghy, et toi? What school did you go to? Belfast's so small I bet we've at least 1 fb mutual friend! We'll have to fight to see whos resident irish drunk of howden.

WithFlyingColours

There's like a difference between the way the irish and english drink...the english always seem to be into drinking games or doing as fast as possible...usually leading to them being put to bed at half 11:wink:

With us it's more of an inherent problem where we're drawn to the bar the whole night so that we're still sitting there drinking a wee whiskey at closing time.
danny1mcc
Finaghy, et toi? What school did you go to? Belfast's so small I bet we've at least 1 fb mutual friend! We'll have to fight to see whos resident irish drunk of howden.

There's like a difference between the way the irish and english drink...the english always seem to be into drinking games or doing as fast as possible...usually leading to them being put to bed at half 11:wink:

With us it's more of an inherent problem where we're drawn to the bar the whole night so that we're still sitting there drinking a wee whiskey at closing time.

haha i suppose im more of an english drinker then...o well :smile: I actually live just outside belfast in a town called holywood. But i went to methody. I know a couple people from around finaghy so we probs do have mutual friends lol.
Reply 35
Rosieposie4791
haha i suppose im more of an english drinker then...o well :smile: I actually live just outside belfast in a town called holywood. But i went to methody. I know a couple people from around finaghy so we probs do have mutual friends lol.

There's a few nights I've had to be put to bed myself in fairness:o: but the weather's nice up here on my high horse. Yeah I know a couple of ppl from Methody too...most probably the year above tho I think. I'm gonna spend my whole flight over trying to spot you now lol
danny1mcc
the irish and english drink...the english always seem to be into drinking games or doing as fast as possible...usually leading to them being put to bed at half 11:wink:

Ah yeah, the early bath.

Happens to the best of us.
Reply 37
Proper name: Rachael
Nicknames: Rach
What subject you're going to do?: Physics and Astrophysics
What are you most looking forward to about Sheffield?: Meeting a load of great new people but still knowing my way around!
...and Least? Stressing about exams
What accommodation are you in?: Ranmoor Village, Ravenstones C3!
What are you going to do on the first day? Hopefully meet my new flatmates, get to know some people, make tea! (Apparently I'm good at it ^^)
Why did you choose Sheffield as your firm? I would have been too overwhelmed living in a different city other than Sheffield, but apart from that, the Physics department was amazing, really impressed me and I loved it from get-go.
Are you interested in joining any societies/sports teams?: I'm not that sporty (at all) but I might try my hand at some volunteering.
Is anyone you know also going to Sheffield or are you all on your lonesome? There are a couple of people from my college going to Uni of Sheffield, but I don't really know them. A few of my friends are going to Sheffield Hallam or are still at college here so no, not so lonesome!
Hair colour: Somewhere inbetween ginger and brown.
D.O.B: 30th December
Eye colour: Blue
A2 subjects: Physics, Chemistry, Maths
Any brothers/sisters?: Only child.
Any pets?: No, did used to have a dog and guinea pig though.
Fave band/artist: Ah, the tricky question.. I will listen to anything but my all-time favourites are: Michael Bublé, Muse, Rosie Thomas and Super Junior.
Fave song: At the moment: 'Nothing' by Charice Pempengco
Fave TV show: Doctor Who, Supernatural and Fringe. But also, Mock the Week, CSI, Sons of Anarchy..
Fave film: The Illusionist blew me away, it's definitely one of my top favourites. I've watched way~ too many to have one favourite ^^
Fave hobby: Listening to music, being with friends, pub. The usual!
Fave colour: Red
Fave food: A big bowl of paella, can't beat it! (or Nandos..)
Fave sport: Cricket
Which football team do you support?: I don't, even though I've lived near the Sheffield Wednesday ground my entire life!
Fave non-alcoholic drink: Milk
Fave alcoholic drink: Baileys, but cider is a close second.
How often do you drink?: These past few weeks, twice a week? Normally, it goes from once a week to once every two/three months ^^
Do you smoke?: No.
Can you play an instrument?: Clarinet, but very badly since I haven't picked it up in four years!
Can you speak a foreign language?: I can read and pronounce the Korean language (albeit very badly) and I know a few words/phrases.
What makes you happy?: Reading, friends, a good comedy sketch on the telly - basic things really :smile:
What's your pet hate? People with lack of manners or common courtesy.
Describe yourself in 5 words: quirky, friendly, open-minded, determined, loyal

Anything else you want to say... TL;DR I'm Rachael, bit ginger, bit dorky, easily made happy. Loves music, telly, books and Baileys.
Reply 38
aurai

Which football team do you support?: I don't, even though I've lived near the Sheffield Wednesday ground my entire life!

Ohh ohh maybe you can help me!
What is the quickest cheapest way to get from Endcliffe to the BnQ on Penistone road?
danny1mcc
There's a few nights I've had to be put to bed myself in fairness:o: but the weather's nice up here on my high horse. Yeah I know a couple of ppl from Methody too...most probably the year above tho I think. I'm gonna spend my whole flight over trying to spot you now lol

haha when are u flying over? Its going to be a tres stressful day with all my things! Who do you know from mcb? Theres a good chance i won't know them though cos the schools so big lol. Where did you go?
btw do u know if theres anyone else from home coming to sheffield this year? it doesnt really seem all that popular with NI students :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending