The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Freshers, are you taking a desktop or a laptop?

Poll

Desktop or Laptop?

Just to see what people will be taking up when they start in October. Me, I'm leaning towards a compact desktop, purely because I don't really envisage walking around with a laptop and doing work, and speaking to soe Aero Eng students on interview, they suggested that it wouldnt be necessary. So yeah, state your choice, reason and your course!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My desktop has slowly started destroying itself over the last 2 weeks, and I can't use it for more than 5 mins without the screen going pink, blue and flashing, the fans going supersonic and the tower making some retarded lorry-reversing noise as if it's about to explode. Anyway I ordered a Sony Vaio E-series a couple of days ago.. should get it at the start of september.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Make an option for both? :P
Reply 3
Taking a desktop - I only got it last year and it seems pointless buying a new laptop now (especially since I need the money for a new phone anyway). I don't think a laptop would be as useful as people say. The only real advantage would be wi-fi around campus but a smartphone would cover that anyway :smile:

Although, having said that, I might need a netbook and have a desktop + netbook combo.

Oh, it also helps that my parents will be driving me down on moving in day - so transport is not really an issue :biggrin:
Take a laptop. You'd be surprised how much you'll want one half way through first year. As said, you barely take it to lectures but its useful to take to the library for revision (at my uni, free computers are rare), watching films in the common area with mates, playing music for parties...
Plus they look cooler.
Reply 5
Desktop. See how I get along with it, may buy laptop later if needs be.
Desktop. It served me well last year.

But a netbook's looking pretty good right now...
Laptop....
Reply 8
TomInce6666
Make an option for both? :P

Ahh oops, should have thought of that, I'm a bit stuck as I aint got a clue how to add an extra choice.
SummerAnthems
Take a laptop. You'd be surprised how much you'll want one half way through first year. As said, you barely take it to lectures but its useful to take to the library for revision (at my uni, free computers are rare), watching films in the common area with mates, playing music for parties...
Plus they look cooler.

Do you bring a laptop bag or just carry it under your arm?
Reply 10
I've recently sold my desktop computer in order to purchase a laptop, mainly because I need the portability!
Banburyhammer
Ahh oops, should have thought of that, I'm a bit stuck as I aint got a clue how to add an extra choice.

I love my desktop. But i reckon getting a laptop wouldnt be too bad an idea, for all the reasons above. So i'll probably end up taking both tbh.
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
Do you bring a laptop bag or just carry it under your arm?

I just stick it in my rucksack. Probably not so good for it but its fine after 1 year of uni and 2 of college.
Desktop + Netbook combo with syncronizing software. Combined price was lower than a good spec laptop.
desktop, laptop and netbook. my dads selling his house and moving back to hong kong so i can't leave any at home
both my awesome gaming PC and my little dell netbook for lectures and stuff if i need it.
Reply 16
what is the spec of your awsome gaming pc

Mine is 5870, AMD 965 Quad
Where's the option for both?
Reply 18
Thinking about it desktop+netbook seems like a good idea - you can just use dropbox to sync files across and use the netbook over wi-fi around campus :yep:
iMac & MacBook

Latest

Trending

Trending