The Student Room Group

Vauxhall Corsa cutting out/not starting... Help?!

My X reg Vauxhall corsa 1.2 has recently begun cutting out whilst driving and doesn't get much further than a short distance (around 1 mile). It starts up fine to begin with and no warning lights appear on the dashboard, however after it cuts out it simply will not start, even though there is plenty of turnover. In addition to this the engine management light appears. I know there's nothing wrong with the battery, and it has plenty of oil/petrol etc.

Anyone got any ideas what it could be?
Reply 1
Could be overheating, have you checked your coolant?
Reply 2
Go To A Garage You Idiot
Reply 3
Might be the clutch going, thats what happened to my car, i was on the motorway and for the past few days it wasnt going above 30 mph hour, when i got on the motorway it was fine but on the way back i pulled up on hard shoulder and the car just wouldnt move, at all. Turns out the clutch was wearing out and it cost £1000 to sort it out.
Go to a garage asap, they'll know what it is, it could be anything really
I would probably agree with raza, but your best bet is to take it to a garage since none of us can see the car.
Reply 5
Ok thanks, I'll definitely be taking it to a garage anyway, I was just wondering if there was something simple I might've been missing.
Reply 6
It's certainly not the clutch. My bet would be something like the fuel pump failing or a blockage in the fuel system, possibly the fuel filter.
Reply 7
I could be the ignition system, fuel pump or anything. Without seeing the car its impossible to diagnose. Best to take it to a garage.
Reply 8
A clutch? How on earth would it be the clutch if the car suddenly breaks down? Blimey...

And some other comments like ....take it to a garage - I'd advise those to remain to the 'learners progression thread'.

To the OP: Curly Ben has come up with the best answer although I personally suspect it's to do with over-fuelling. I used to have Corsa and the same thing happened to me.

I'd hazard a guess and say it's something called the Coolant Temperature Sensor. My advice now would be to go on a Corsa B/C forum and find out if this is likely to be the cause. If so, go from there.
Reply 9
I had this problem on my 1.2 Corsa (V-reg), although on a cold start it lasted about 20 minutes before cutting out. It was the crankshaft sensor. The connection inside the sensor was broken, and when the engine heated up, the wires came apart and cut off the fuel supply so the engine just cut out. Quite scary at 40mph in town in rush hour traffic...

Anyway the AA guy I called out had a spare sensor because it's quite a common problem and there's no way of botching it to get it to a local garage other than by leaving it to cool down for an hour. He bashed it in, cleared the fault codes to make the engine management light disappear, and it's been fine since.
All sorted. FFX was right, it was the crankshaft sensor that'd blown. In regards to it being a common problem, I've heard that's the case from a few sources. Thanks guys.
Reply 11
I have a 1.2 twincam corsa 52 plate it starts but then cuts out any ideas plz
My daughter has a 2003 corsa c,it has decided to not start,no spark,no fuel coming through just 1 light on the dash.They have changed the crank sensor but no spark.They have changed the coil pack no spark.Any suggestions,please keep it sensible.
Reply 13
Original post by Tadpole1
My daughter has a 2003 corsa c,it has decided to not start,no spark,no fuel coming through just 1 light on the dash.They have changed the crank sensor but no spark.They have changed the coil pack no spark.Any suggestions,please keep it sensible.

Asking on an owner's forum instead of bumping an old thread on TSR would probably help you out better. It's your mechanic's job to find the problem.

Latest

Trending

Trending