The Student Room Group
Don't bother doing A-Level law - unis tend to look down on it, especially for those applying for a law degree.

- Government & Politics has a lot of cross-over with law (especially how it is made in the AS year and, in the A2 year, specific examples e.g. new offences that have been brought in)
- Psychology (certainly some syllabuses - you'd have to check) contains a criminology topic. That said, it is often regarded as being softer.
- History is a well respected A Level, goes well with Politics and has a lot of influence on law.
Reply 2
zakiya786
i want to do law and criminology but i dont know what a-levels to choose

please help in what a-levels i should choose

What subjects do you like / what subjects are you good at?
Reply 3
Jonty99
What subjects do you like / what subjects are you good at?

Mix that approach with what subjects do universities prefer and you'll be fine. :yep:
Reply 4
DPLSK
Mix that approach with what subjects do universities prefer and you'll be fine. :yep:

Well the thing is, for Law, as long as they're respected academic subjects, universities don't really have a preference.
Reply 5
zakiya786
i want to do law and criminology but i dont know what a-levels to choose

please help in what a-levels i should choose

History
English + E lit
2 other subjects you like and which are considered traditional
Reply 6
Origami Bullets
Don't bother doing A-Level law - unis tend to look down on it, especially for those applying for a law degree.

- Government & Politics has a lot of cross-over with law (especially how it is made in the AS year and, in the A2 year, specific examples e.g. new offences that have been brought in)
- Psychology (certainly some syllabuses - you'd have to check) contains a criminology topic. That said, it is often regarded as being softer.
- History is a well respected A Level, goes well with Politics and has a lot of influence on law.

For Law English literature and History are a must I'd say, along with a language (helps if you want to look at international Law).
Reply 7
James4d
For Law English literature and History are a must I'd say, along with a language (helps if you want to look at international Law).

No subjects are "a must" for Law.
Definitely don't do Law. I have no idea why but there is such a stigma attached to that particular A level and from what I've heard if you apply to do Law at uni and they see you've done it at A level then you're at such a disadvantage. God knows why?!
Choose subjects that are traditional and aren't science related. This is your best chance seriously.
Good options include:
-English Lit (or combined English)....don't do English language! I do it and although it's seen as quite a good subject it's not on the same level as Eng lit apparently.
-History
-French
-German
-Spanish
-Basically any foreign language
-Govt. and Politics
-Sociology or Psychology

Hope I helped!
Reply 9
Jonty99
Well the thing is, for Law, as long as they're respected academic subjects, universities don't really have a preference.

Agreed. I don't know what I'm saying. :yep:
DPLSK
Still... you want to be taking formidable subjects that look good on UCAS. I'm sure if there was a tiebreak between someone doing Critical Thinking, General Studies and Law and someone doing Politics, History and English that the latter would be seen as better.

I honestly don't know though - I didn't do Law. Apparently you need a damn good personal statement to get into some places though. It's worth a though. :yep:

Yes, what you said there is true. Law/GS/CT aren't respected academic subjects. :p:

I mean, within the academic subjects, people sometimes think maths or a science is a poor choice for Law, but it's not. As long as they're respected subjects, it's fine.
Reply 11
Jonty99
No subjects are "a must" for Law.

My friend was rejected from Edinburgh to study Law solely on the fact he didn't have English Literature GCSE- so it may not be a 'must', but it is a well-regarded subject when applying for Law.

( I know, 'must' was the wrong word to use)
Reply 12
Jonty99
Yes, what you said there is true. Law/GS/CT aren't respected academic subjects.

I mean, within the academic subjects, people sometimes think maths or a science is a poor choice for Law, but it's not. As long as they're respected subjects, it's fine.

I actually removed that because I felt a little out of touch with what I'm saying, but if you think it's good then okay.
English literature, a modern language (perhaps French), History, and maybe Psychology would help, too.

I don't think Maths and the sciences are poor choices if you wish to study Law. Some even says that getting a great grade in Physics would act as a bonus as it proves your ability to reason and use your logic (not sure). Also, Maths and most of the sciences (Physics, Chemistry, Biology etc) are comparatively difficult A-levels (to most) and getting good grades in those subjects would perhaps increase your competiveness.

One solid advice: take solid A-levels.