The Student Room Group

Optometry!

Hey. I just got my AS grades yesterday
i got an A in RS, two B's in bio and chem and a C in maths

i was just wondering whether i am still able to do optometry at university?
im retakin one of my biology modules and chem modules to bump my grades up buh i do not know whether i should retake my maths grade?

I know city university ask for maths buh the other universities i am applying to say they just want two of the four core subjects. (maths, bio,chem and physics)
so is there any point retakin if im droppin maths in year 13?

im really determined to do good in these retakes and carry on and do optom at university. is there anything else i should know about the other universities offering this course?
x
Reply 1
hello :biggrin:
of course you have chances of getting into optometry with the grades you have, you still have another year to go remember :smile:. Plus, it REALLY depends on what university you are applying for. The last time i looked, i think i saw one university offering CCC, with one or two in science subjects.
As you already know, each university asks for different entry requirements. As far as i am aware of, i know they'd (City, Bradford, Manchester etc) really prefer it if you get at least A's in two of the science subjects. To be on the safe side, maybe you could retake one module of maths, try to bump your grade up to a B, this depends on how many UMS you're away from the B and how much interest you have with maths.

you probably know this...at GCSE level, english language will have to be at least a grade B in some universities, C in some others.
im not sure what i just told you is 100% right, but i hope this helped abit. Goodluck.
Ivy2412
The last time i looked, i think i saw one university offering CCC, with one or two in science subjects.

There is no uni that offers CCC for optometry; the absolute lowest is ABB, which one uni offer, and it's quite possible that that is going to be going up to AAB quite soon (although not next year, I don't believe.)
Reply 3
i agree with Ivy2412, if u feel that u wont be able to get a decent grade from doing A Level maths then dont bother, drop it. but perhaps u should consider resitting one of the modules that u did weak on.

however i have read on the course content of the optometry course on various universities' websites that there are units that are largely maths based. so if u are finding maths difficult, or if u purely just did badly on the exam day, u should consider this :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending