The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Racism at King's College London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
KimKong
Erm, any particular reason why you posted this twice?

Also, your profile says you're 15... But you study at KCL... Is somebody lying?

IMO, all the things that Virginia claims seem to be too coincidental to be an accident. Toe stamping, "lost" exam papers, sleepy invigilator, referal to a psyciatrist? For no reason other than a complaint???!?

******* racist runts with a "c".

I am 15 and i said that that is one of the comments on the blog that someone posted a link to.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 41
she's quite fit for a black girl..
Reply 42
katyness
im shocked.

im black and i want to get into medicine

that isnt from my experience, like i said, i just copied and pasted it from the comments on the blog that someone linked. but to me the whole story seems fake anyway.
oh dear, overplaying the race card

she essentially listed all the bad things to of happened to her in tthe las 6 years and decided to blame it on racism!
Reply 44
thecdon
she's quite fit for a black girl..

What exactly are you saying here? She's either fit or not, her being black has nothing to do with it!!!
Reply 45
JordanCarroll
why did you link this? the comments are terrible, add nothing to the debate :sigh:

JC i didnt know u were on the student room!

yes i agree add nothing :sigh:

oh and cngrats fr getting into medicine :smartass:
u will be a great docter:yep: :yep: :cool:
mariame
JC i didnt know u were on the student room!

yes i agree add nothing :sigh:

oh and cngrats fr getting into medicine :smartass:
u will be a great doctor:yep: :yep: :cool:

oh yeah! this is where I live :wink:

I just couldn't be bothered to read through so many ignorant comments tbh :sigh:

and thanks :smile: 6th form has flown by! :s-smilie:
i saw you "clearing experience thread" :biggrin: good stuff, hope it turns out brilliant for you :smile:

i'll rep you 2moro, need to get out of the red haha!
Reply 47
So she has been living this hell for 6 years and only decided to expose her story when she failed her exams twice???

I have been studying at King's for one year and, as an ''ethnic student'' myself, I really find her story extremely hard to believe.
Joluk
Thats rubbish, so because a couple of people in the medicine school were racist, suddenly you're acussing the whole university of being so? Over 40% of the student population is from an ethnic minority, why would so many choose Kings if it was so racist?

According to what the OP said.. it was against black students not the general ethnic minority.

deathbeforeimmortality
This sort of thing is actually possible at universities.

But I would have thought that KCL was very diverse and quite open? :confused:

Well I don't know, when I went there admittedly there were more asians than any other race in Guys Campus. I saw about 3 or 4 black students out of all the students I saw.

Can't make any conclusions from it though.
Reply 49
Belema
So she has been living this hell for 6 years and only decided to expose her story when she failed her exams twice???

I have been studying at King's for one year and, as an ''ethnic student'' myself, I really find her story extremely hard to believe.

You know her Witness statement is a public document, you could obtain one and decide for yourself if she truly just crying wolf.
Ok why would someone take racism for 6 years before they complain or do anything just remember slavery lasted for two centuries before it was eventually stopped but no questions why they lived hell for all those years. I can tell you are very young,because I don't think you can truly grasp what this girl went through I hope you never upset your lecturers or complain about something.

Again you need to go into human psych and emphatise to understand this. Most human beings are no trouble maker and they will take systematic abuse for some (even very long) time before finally cracking. They will gladly do this, most times, when they are either sure or made to believe, that there is either a reward or an escape afterwards, events with which they can conole themselves that all was worth the while. Replace that hope with delusion and they will likely wake up.

Please relate the above to the Virginia Jibowu and you will have sme understanding of her long suffering. Yes, she had noticed and accepted the bullying and abuse. She only probably didn't complain because she keeps consling herself that 6 years, only six years, that's all it takes and she'll be free. She's got her REWARD waiting and escape route. But now all that's been yanked under her feet. And she getting a reality check.
Reply 50
I am truly sorry you guys don't believe her

this is just a bit of the witness statement

1) Made on behalf of the Claimant
2) Witness: Virginia O.S. Jibowu
3) 1st Statement
4) Exhibits: see attached exhibit sheet
5) Date made: 15 January 2010

IN THE CENTRAL COUNTY COURT
Case No: 9CL00753
Between:
VIRGINIA JIBOWU Claimant
And
KING’S COLLEGE LONDON
Defendant
WITNESS STATEMENT OF
VIRGINIA JIBOWU

1. I Virginia O. S Jibowu make the following statement.

2. I am a 26 –year old female of Nigerian-Welsh origin. I was a full-time undergraduate student on the Defendant’s Extended Medical Degree Programme (EMDP) from September 2002 until December 2008. On 20 October 2008 I was injured by a porter driving a wheelchair into the back of my leg whilst I was on my clinical attachment at King’s College Hospital. As a result of my injury, Professor Greenough (Head of the medical School) removed me from my programme. I am currently unemployed and suffer from reduced mobility as a result of the injury sustained.

3. King’s College London medical School is called Guy’s King’s and St Thomas’ School of Medicine (GKT). KCL is in partnership with Guy’s, King’s and St Thomas’ NHS Trust Hospitals. The Institute of Psychiatry (IOP) became a school of King’s College London in August 1997. The King’s College Hospital is further affiliated with the South London and Maudsley NHS Trust. KCL also has various alliances with South London G. P. Practices within Lambeth and other Primary Care Trusts. The General Medical Council and the South Thames Foundation Schools are also closely linked with KCL.

4. Whilst at King’s College London (KCL) I was subjected to disability discrimination preventing me from taking up the F1 post I had secured with the Wales Foundation School. I suffer from severe incapacitating dysmenorrhoea. This is a debilitating condition which prevents me from carrying on my normal day to day activities for at least 2 days every month (I refer to the letter dated 6 August 2001 from Anne Giwa-Amu to the Health Authority (marked exhibit 1), with the response dated 17 August 2001 (marked exhibit 2), and also the letter dated 10 August 2001 from Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospital confirming my referral to the Pain Management Centre (marked exhibit 3).

5. I was also subjected to ‘continuing acts’ of racial segregation, racial discrimination, harassment, bullying and institutional racism from 2002-2009. In summary:

a) I was racially discriminated against during the recruitment and selection process and racially segregated onto the EMDP course which I had not applied for.
b) Despite my protests, I was kept on the EMDP course from 2002-2008/9
c) The EMDP course is a 6 year programme whilst the standard MBBS is a 5 year programme. Therefore, being placed on the EMDP course subjected me an additional year at university during which time I could have been employed.
d) I was compelled to wear a badge from 2002-2008/9 marking me out as one of the EMDP students. As the course was advertised as being designed to bring in more students from socially deprived ethnic minority backgrounds this was a humiliating experience for me.
e) I was compelled to participate in various research projects without my knowledge and consent. This included social research, psychological research and IQ tests from 2002 -2008/9.
f) I was covertly monitored without good reason over a period of time whilst on the EMDP course.
g) My complaints of racial harassment and bullying by fellow students were not investigated but I was ‘watched’ because I had made those complaints.
h) I was subjected to ‘institutional victimisation’ because of my complaints by members of the management team who orchestrated a campaign to discredit me.
i) Following my injury whilst on clinical attachment at King’s College Hospital, management refused to investigate my complaints and continued to spread false and defamatory statements about my mental health.
Reply 51
part 2...

Further details are provided below.

6. Due to my complaints of racial segregation, racial discrimination, harassment, bullying and institutional racism, I suffered victimisation from members of the management team. My protected acts are as follows:
a) In 2002 I protested to Gavin Brown that my application for the MBBS 5 had been rejected in order to channel me onto the experimental EMDP course.
b) In 2002-2003 I made complaints to Dr Pamela Garlick and Professor Standring about the segregated nature of the EMDP course and asked to be transferred to the MBBS5 course.
c) In 2005 I made a complaint to the college of harassment and bullying by Richard Pinder who was my clinical partner at the time. I asked to be moved away from him.
d) On 2 December 2006, I submitted a written complaint of harassment and bullying against ***** *****, Steve Dixon and Simon Hill. I made a verbal complaint to staff indicating that the harassment was racially motivated.
e) On 19 September 2007 I made a complaint to the Dean of Victoria Hospital (St Lucia), and the Elective Coordinator against Alexis Johnson, Johanne Adley, Jaskiren Kaur, Emon Malik and Sivathatishana Meinerikandathevan for assault, bullying, harassment and breach of contract.
f) On 9 September 2007, I sent Emon Malik a ‘letter of claim’.
g) 24 September 2008, I submitted a claim at the Employment Tribunal.
h) 21 November 2008, I submitted a claim for discrimination at the Central London County Court (8CL09060) which was lost on the court system.
i) 23 December 2008, I submitted a replacement claim at the Central London County Court (which was returned as permission was needed to serve on the defendant’s Solicitor)
j) On 28 January 2008, I submitted the claim for racial discrimination at the Central London County Court (9CL00753)

RECRUITMENT AND SELECTION

7. In November 2001, I submitted my UCAS application form for the MBBS 5 year programme (I refer to the UCAS application; marked exhibit 4). The entrance requirements were advertised in the prospectus as ‘ABB’ at A- level, based upon a tariff point system. My predicted grades were ‘AAC’ at A level. I took up and sat an additional AS level in English Literature during my final year for which I had no predicted grade (I refer to the interview form 2002-2003 for Guy’s, King’s and St Thomas’ (GKT) School of Medicine 2002/2003 entry; marked exhibit 5,).

8. The entry requirements for the degrees of Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MB BS) may be satisfied by obtaining passes in at least three subjects at A Level and one at AS level in the General Certificate of Education examinations, at grades to be determined by the School of Medicine. (I refer to the KCL Regulations for the Degrees of Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MB BS) new and old curriculum dated June 2006, referred to as exhibit 6).

9. During my A level’s at Lambeth College, I also studied for the ‘Key Skills’- a new programme introduced at Lambeth College and other Colleges nation wide. I had also obtained work experience with a GP practice and carried out voluntary work at Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospital. In addition, I had numerous sports awards, for swimming and rowing competitions.

10. On 29 April 2002, I was interviewed for the 6 year EMDP programme by Professor Standring (white) and Gavin Brown (white) (I refer to GKT interview form 2002/2003; marked exhibit 5). On the day of my interview for the EMDP Programme, I was provided with a leaflet which had been produced by KCL advertising the ‘Access to Medicine Programme’. This course was neither advertised in the KCL prospectus, nor by Lambeth College where I studied. It stated that ‘students who are predicted ABB or better at A level should not apply for the Access to Medicine Programme they are eligible for our five-year MBBS programme…..’. I had correctly applied for the MBBS5 course but I was called for interview for the EMDP course. Also, students applying for the EMDP course were not permitted to apply for the MBBS at other universities or at KCL. The EMDP used Personal qualities Assessment to admit candidates on potential as well as achievement which did not apply to standard MBBS candidates. (I refer to the leaflet: ‘KCL Access to Medicine Programme’; marked exhibit 7 and KCL ‘ACCESS AGREEMENT SUBMISSION TO THE OFFICE FOR FAIR ACCESS (OFFA), marked exhibit 8).

11. As a students on the EMDP course, Lambeth College would have been required to provide an ‘additional detailed reference’ for me. (I refer to the Department of Health (DoH) document, page 13, marked exhibit 9). Unlike standard MBBS students the EMDP students had ‘widening participation statistics’ kept on their ‘student file’. This included information about my parents. (I refer to the document ‘WHAT IS A STUDENT RECORD? A case study by King’s college London, dated November 2003, marked exhibit 10). Following my formal complaint against Dr Bradbeer, I was informed by Hannah Sewell that Dr Bradbeer had recorded on my student file that she had referred me to the HIV/STD clinic and that it would be deleted.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 52
Virginia Jibowu Witness statement Part 3 just a bit more................

12. KCL had publicised that the EMDP programme was designed to bring in more students from ‘socially deprived backgrounds’, in particular from inner-city areas with a large black/ethnic population (Lambeth, Lewisham, Southwark, Tower Hamlets and City of Westminster) who may not otherwise have achieved the actual or predicted grades to train as doctors. It was assumed that I was from a socially deprived background as I was black and studying at an inner City College. I was stigmatised during the application process and interviewed for the programme because I was studying at Lambeth College (I refer to the News archive 2002 ‘Access to Medicine and Damilola Taylor Trust’; marked exhibit 11).

13. During the interview, Gavin Brown informed me that I had not been invited for the MBBS programme as I had taken up my English AS-level in my final year, and had no predicted grade for this subject. I asked him if it would be possible to transfer onto the main programme if I achieved a high grade and he confirmed that this may have been possible. King’s College London (KCL) had refused to interview me for the 5 year programme without good reason but I hoped that on achieving high grades I would be transferred on to the MBBS 5 year course.

14. On the day of my interview, I met an Asian student with the same predicted grades as myself and no additional AS-level. She was being interviewed for the main MBBS 5 year programme. I believe that the decision not to interview me for the 5 year course was motivated by racial discrimination, as King’s College London were keen to recruit students onto their new “Access to Medicine Programme”/ “EMDP”.

15. On 30 April 2002, KCL made me a conditional offer (CCC+ pass at AS-Level) for a place on the ‘Access to Medicine MBBS6’ (EMDP). (I refer to the letter from Professor Standring dated 30 April 2002 marked exhibit 12). On 13 May 2002, UCAS notified me of the conditional offer for Course code A101 (EMDP 6 year programme). On my UCAS Final Decision Letter I had been removed from the main A100 programme which I had applied for and placed on the A101 (EMDP course) without my consultation or consent. (I refer to UCAS Final Decision Letter dated 13 May 2002; marked exhibit 13). I was very upset about this but still believed that when I achieved the necessary results that I would be fairly treated and correctly placed on the MBBS5.

16. I sat my A-level examinations in June 2002 (I refer to Candidate Statement of Entry; marked exhibit 14). On 23 August 2002, UCAS confirmed my place on A101, stating that ‘This is your final offer through UCAS. You cannot apply to another university or college or go into Clearing. If you do not accept this place, you cannot apply through UCAS again for courses starting this year’ (I refer to the UCAS confirmation statement AS12; marked exhibit 15). However, I had been put through clearing onto the ‘Access to Medicine Programme’ without my knowledge or consent. This document was provided under my Data Protection Act request (DPA) by King’s College London (KCL), the date appears to be altered (I refer to the Clearing 2002 Information, Access to Medicine; marked exhibit 16). This denied me the opportunity of going through clearing onto a standard degree programme.

http://http://stopinstitutionalracism.blogspot.com/
Reply 53
"The entrance requirements were advertised in the prospectus as ‘ABB’ at A- level, based upon a tariff point system. My predicted grades were ‘AAC’ at A level."

Is AAC the same as ABB in this instance though? if it is then she has a reasonable case but King's could have viewed her predicted grades (AAC) as worse...

Also it would be interesting to know what her final grades at A level were for that would definately make it more obvious where the blame should be placed.
Reply 54
EugeneOtis, you clearly know much more about this case than I do. I have now read part of Virginia Jibowu's claims and I also understand the point you've made earlier.

I haven't seen myself the evidences provided and for a lot of other reasons I appreciate that I will never know the exact truth about this case. The reality is so often different from what it seems to be...

Here are, however, two things that I wish to say in favour of King's College:
- whilst studying there, I have met a few black medical students who didn't seem that unhappy to be there.
- I am myself the result of a Nigerian/French mix and I have always had the impression that I was one of the students the lecturers liked the most in the whole mathematics department. They have been so friendly, helpful and supportive throughout my studies that I felt the duty to defend them.

You may now begin to understand the reasons for my previous post: however true the claims of Virginia Jibowu might be, I just don't want people to rush to think that King's College London is a racist institution as a whole, because that, I guarantee, is not the truth.
Reply 55
I don't know about the ins and outs of the case :s-smilie: :s-smilie: but 'It stated that ‘students who are predicted ABB or better at A level should not apply for the Access to Medicine Programme – they are eligible for our five-year MBBS programme…..’. I had correctly applied for the MBBS5 course but I was called for interview for the EMDP course. Also, students applying for the EMDP course were not permitted to apply for the MBBS at other universities or at KCL'' - she didn't have ABB and therefore she was put on the EMDP course :s-smilie: the statement a few paragraphs earlier says she was predicted 'AAC' - although it is the same in terms of UCAS points it's clearly not in terms of grades :s-smilie:
Reply 56
for those of you wondering about her grades

Part 4

17. In a letter dated 25 June 2002, KCL sent me joining instructions for the ‘ACCESS TO MEDICINE’ course (I refer to the letter dated 25 June 2002 from Martyn Annis (KCL Assistant Registrar, Admissions), marked exhibit 17). This was done prior to me completing my A and AS level examinations. On 26 August 2002, under duress, I confirmed that I would be taking up the place on the A101 course (I refer to the AS12 reply slip; marked exhibit 18). I was one of 19 students accepted on the ‘Access to medicine intake 2002’ (I refer to the KCL ‘Access to Medicine 2002’ intake chart provided under DPA, marked exhibit 19).

18. In response to my Race Relations Act Questionnaire which I submitted on 6 October 2008, KCL alleged that I was interviewed for the MBBS5 year programme and offered a conditional place on that course. It was also alleged that the offer was withdrawn when I didn’t achieve the predicted A-level grades (I refer to the Race Relations Act Questionnaire page 6, question 15; marked exhibit 20). The conditional offer was not based upon me achieving the grades predicted by Lambeth College but by the actual grades obtained. My conditional offer was ‘CCC’ at A level and a pass at AS-level which I exceeded.

19. If as KCL alleges, I had been given a conditional offer for the MBBS five year programme (A-level CCC+ pass at AS-level) I was wrongly placed on the EMDP 6 year course in breach of contract. This would also have been racially discriminatory due to the segregated nature of the EMDP course.

20. On 15 August 2002 I received my A-level and AS-level results. I obtained ACC grades at A-level with an additional B grade at AS-level English. I missed the ‘B’ grade in Chemistry by less than 1% (6 points) and an ‘A’ grade at AS-level English by less than 1% (4 points). (I refer to the breakdown of grade boundaries on facsimile from Lambeth College dated 15 August 2002, marked exhibit 21, the AQA Candidate statement of provisional results, marked exhibit 22; OCR Statement of results June 2002 issued 15 August 2002 marked exhibit 23 and AQA Candidate Statement of Provisional Results June 2002, marked exhibit 24.) I telephoned Gavin Brown immediately after sending him the facsimile of my results and I asked him if I could transfer to the 5 year course with the grades that I had achieved. He told me I was unable to do so as the course was full and if I decided to appeal my A level result that I would need to remove myself from the UCAS scheme resulting in me losing my place at KCL that year. Grade ‘A’ at English AS level was recorded on my UCAS form (provided to me as part of my KCL DPA request) but grade ‘B’ on my certificate (please refer to exhibit 4 ‘results’ column).

All I am asking that you guys at least come to your own conclusion based on fact, how would feel if you were racially abused at work or uni you cannot always bite your tongue it hurts.
Reply 57
EugeneOtis

All I am asking that you guys at least come to your own conclusion based on fact, how would feel if you were racially abused at work or uni you cannot always bite your tongue it hurts.

I'm personally not saying, or not sure, if the article I posted was correct, hence why I posted to ask opinions. However, how is what you have posted 'fact' when it's a witness statement and therefore probably quite biased? :\
mel0n
I'm personally not saying, or not sure, if the article I posted was correct, hence why I posted to ask opinions. However, how is what you have posted 'fact' when it's a witness statement and therefore probably quite biased? :\

gtfo you silly boy
I swear KCL is full of Asians? How can it be racist?

The majority of Dental applicants in my school seem to think they're racist :mmm:

Quick Reply

Latest