The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think its great that they've taken you on...but seriously DEU?
Are you really going to be able to cope with a degree? Because from your grades, maybe you're not suited to the academic route. :smile:
TwoHoc
If Manchester Met were a teenage boy he'd be that awkward socially inept loser desperate for any female contact.

me then :yep:
NicolePickle
My poor grades was mainly due to alot of messing around and being unfocused. I achieved brilliant GCSEs but during the two years at sixthform there was alot of issues at home etc. Ive already decided to just take this opportunity and make the best of it, I'm positive I can turn my life around and be successful. I have alot of other qualities and experience that I'm sure employers would appreciate along with a good degree.

Ok, that is a good attitude. I, myself had problems at home as well. I'm actually going onto A2, however I do not actually have my grades for AS yet - relating to part of the problems at home.

Just stay strong and plan what to do next. Remember, university isn't the only option. But whilst saying that, it is a safe ticket.

(And don't listen to what they are saying about the university - maybe you can still turn this around...):smile:
Reply 23
Resourceful
I think its great that they've taken you on...but seriously DEU?
Are you really going to be able to cope with a degree? Because from your grades, maybe you're not suited to the academic route. :smile:

My poor grades arent related to not being academically suited. The last two years have been really rough for me to do with issues going on at home which meant i missed alot of college.
Reply 24
ilickbatteries
Hew man.

Whether you're trolling or not, stop being a douche. Whether someone goes to university at Manchester Met or Cambridge, they're still getting a degree.

Why do people think degrees still mean anything? Everyone and anyone can get a degree now, having a degree means nothing, its the institution and the subject that counts.

Too many people going to low-end unis end up with a job that isnt relevant to the course they did (or one in which a degree simply isnt require) therefore they waste 4 years of their life and thousands of taxpayers money.
Reply 25
Congrats and go for it! Learn from you mistakes and make the most of this 'second chance'. And also not to undermine anyone but this thread and the negative comments on here hold no importance to your life at all so don't take the bait. Hope all goes to plan :wink:
This is the whole point of clearing, is it not? They need to fill their places, you need a place. *Shrugs*
freefrag
Why do people think degrees still mean anything? Everyone and anyone can get a degree now, having a degree means nothing, its the institution and the subject that counts.

Too many people going to low-end unis end up with a job that isnt relevant to the course they did (or one in which a degree simply isnt require) therefore they waste 4 years of their life and thousands of taxpayers money.

For that premise to hold true the only value of university is economic utility, which is, thankfully, idiotic.
Reply 28
Thanks to everyone who has given me positive replies :smile:
Reply 29
wilson_smith
For that premise to hold true the only value of university is economic utility, which is, thankfully, idiotic.

Care to let me know what the other values are?
Reply 30
freefrag

You obviously haven't thought this through correctly. If anybody can get a degree, then somebody without one would be at a massive disadvantage, would they not?

It's not only those from 'low-end' unis that are going into jobs that aren't subject relevant. Those from 'high-end' unis do it to, and have been doing it for much longer. It's somewhat ironic that 'low-end' unis are known for their more vocational courses yet you're slating them for not getting their students relevant jobs.
Reply 31
Normally...I'd say this wasn't really a kind of person who should be going to uni. From the results... but really I have a lot of respect for you OP. You acknowledged your time in 6th form wasnt the best you could possibly do, and I feel youre quite grateful that you've been given a place. Make sure you work hard and prove these people who say you won't do well wrong.

I think you deserve to go to uni. So go, and become a better person for doing so! Good luck
freefrag
Care to let me know what the other values are?

Well, call me old fashioned, but i like to think the primary purpose of educational institutions is, funnily enough, to provide education.
As someone who comes from an RG background I would say don't listen to the neighsayers on here - you have been given an opportunity, now it is up to you to go for it as best you can. Is it the best uni? No, and they wouldn't claim to be. But they will give you the tools you need to get your degree and if you work hard at it you can still achieve whatever you want to.
Reply 34
freefrag

Many graduates from top uni's end up doing something their degree isn't related to. My cousin did Law at Warwick and got a 1st but doesn't work in Law at all.
Reply 35
Wilt
You obviously haven't thought this through correctly. If anybody can get a degree, then somebody without one would be at a massive disadvantage, would they not?

It's not only those from 'low-end' unis that are going into jobs that aren't subject relevant. Those from 'high-end' unis do it to, and have been doing it for much longer. It's somewhat ironic that 'low-end' are known for their more vocational courses yet you're slating them for not getting their students relevant jobs.

Im sorry, but I dont see how someone with say a degree in Real Estate, has any advantage over someone with 4 years of experience.

Also, when I said that people get jobs which arent subject relevant, I ment that low-end universities tend to take people in for degrees after which its impossible to get a job.
Eg. Useless degrees such as Maths and Dance, Cinematographics or Forensic Science (about 1600 people get a forensic science degree each year, this is very nearly the number of forensic scientists that Britain needs overall. This is a perfect example of a degree which should be restricted to only the best people, as a very large part of the 1600 people will not be able to get a job after they complete the degree.)
Reply 36
I have a lot of respect for you OP for wanting to turn everthing around. However with DEU have you not considered doing intensive retakes as i'm sure that in the future things will get so competitive that employers will start looking at A Level grades. Resitting would also improve your mental attitude and confidence in your abilities. I got BCD last year therefore missing my medicine offer because i became ill. This year I received ABB and I feel that these grades really represent my ability and I am in a much better position now. Do you not feel that you owe it to yourself to do your best after the problems you've had and get grades that represent you?
Reply 37
03bault
Many graduates from top uni's end up doing something their degree isn't related to. My cousin did Law at Warwick and got a 1st but doesn't work in Law at all.

That may be true, but you have to admit that the number of law graduates doing something subject-related is much higher then the number of "Adventure Tourism Management" graduates doing anything remotely close to their course.
It's what you make of your degree that counts if you have the drive and determination. Don't listen to them and good luck.
Reply 39
freefrag
Im sorry, but I dont see how someone with say a degree in Real Estate, has any advantage over someone with 4 years of experience.

Also, when I said that people get jobs which arent subject relevant, I ment that low-end universities tend to take people in for degrees after which its impossible to get a job.
Eg. Useless degrees such as Maths and Dance, Cinematographics or Forensic Science (about 1600 people get a forensic science degree each year, this is very nearly the number of forensic scientists that Britain needs overall. This is a perfect example of a degree which should be restricted to only the best people, as a very large part of the 1600 people will not be able to get a job after they complete the degree.)

How would you propose that somebody gets that experience? In a jobs market that is dominated by candidates with degrees.

Ah, so they don't offer great career specific degree courses such as classics, theology or oriental studies. That's my mistake, I apologise.

It is not impossible to get a job after taking the courses you mentioned any more that it is impossible to get a job with the ones that I mentioned. The fact is that they have a degree, and there are loads of jobs out there in which no specific degree is necessary.

Latest

Trending

Trending