The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 1
Good idea. Odds are there are a few Warwick English lit freshers on here (I'm one of them - hi!). Hopefully they'll find this thread now that the agonising wait is over.

Anyway, ta for starting the thread. I'll start with a minor complaint: I can't believe there's no freshers' week! D:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Mjrn
Good idea. Odds are there are a few Warwick English lit freshers on here (I'm one of them - hi!). Hopefully they'll find this thread now that the agonising wait is over.

Anyway, ta for starting the thread. I'll start with a minor complaint: I can't believe there's no freshers' week! D:

I thought freshers week was from 4th October - 9th October..something like that...
jack/ten
I thought freshers week was from 4th October - 9th October..something like that...

Apologies for not doing English Literature, I just got excited when I saw the word "Warwick"

No Freshers week ?!???! I never knew that, I just went on the website and apparently last year had a Freshers Fortnight.

If we don't have at least a week it will be very unjust!
Reply 4
Has anyone started the reading list? I'm slightly confused, as to where it is, what books we should be reading. Do you choose the modules you want to study, then start your reading based on that module? Any help would be appreciated.. :smile:
jack/ten

ÇaBaigne_29
No Freshers week ?!???! I never knew that, I just went on the website and apparently last year had a Freshers Fortnight.

If we don't have at least a week it will be very unjust!

At the moment Warwick don't have a Freshers Week, rather a Freshers Fortnight. From 2011 it is likely a Fresher Week will be implemented.

By Freshers Week, we usually define it as a week before the lectures start (which Warwick don't have). The Freshers Fortnight coincides with the fortnight of introductory lectures.

The SU will send you some marketing material next month - it will have all the details about the Freshers Fairs/taster sessions, but here's what's going on at night:

Warwich SU Freshers Schedule:
Saturday 2nd: Welcome Party feat. Reverend Soundsystem
Sunday 3rd: Welcome Party feat. Reverend Soundsystem
Monday 4th: Massive Monday
Tuesday 5th: Warwick Snow presents Scratch Perverts
Wednesday 6th: Pop (Pyjama Theme) with Greg James
Thursday 7th: Young Guns, Crash, Idioteque
Friday 8th: O.M.G with Zane Lowe
Saturday 9th: Pressure feat Sub Focus and Nero
Sunday 10th: Tony Lee Hypnotist
Monday 11th: Massive Monday
Tuesday 12th: Gig, don't know who's on yet
Wednesday 13th: Pop
Thursday 14th: Freshers Party 2010
Friday 15th: O.M.G
Saturday 16th: Skool Dayz

Further Detail into the events available here
I'm studying English Lit too! Excited, but the reading list scares me slightly ha, and yes it's really confusing cos there seems to be so many books to read/buy when you look at the English Department site. Where to start!?
Reply 7
floralteapot
I'm studying English Lit too! Excited, but the reading list scares me slightly ha, and yes it's really confusing cos there seems to be so many books to read/buy when you look at the English Department site. Where to start!?

So are you reading the books from the Set texts, or the wartime literature ones? Got no idea!
TheTallOne
At the moment Warwick don't have a Freshers Week, rather a Freshers Fortnight. From 2011 it is likely a Fresher Week will be implemented.

By Freshers Week, we usually define it as a week before the lectures start (which Warwick don't have). The Freshers Fortnight coincides with the fortnight of introductory lectures.

The SU will send you some marketing material next month - it will have all the details about the Freshers Fairs/taster sessions, but here's what's going on at night:

Warwich SU Freshers Schedule:
Saturday 2nd: Welcome Party feat. Reverend Soundsystem
Sunday 3rd: Welcome Party feat. Reverend Soundsystem
Monday 4th: Massive Monday
Tuesday 5th: Warwick Snow presents Scratch Perverts
Wednesday 6th: Pop (Pyjama Theme) with Greg James
Thursday 7th: Young Guns, Crash, Idioteque
Friday 8th: O.M.G with Zane Lowe
Saturday 9th: Pressure feat Sub Focus and Nero
Sunday 10th: Tony Lee Hypnotist
Monday 11th: Massive Monday
Tuesday 12th: Gig, don't know who's on yet
Wednesday 13th: Pop
Thursday 14th: Freshers Party 2010
Friday 15th: O.M.G
Saturday 16th: Skool Dayz

Further Detail into the events available here

all that effort and nobody cares.
Totally Tom
all that effort and nobody cares.

I've copied and posted it twice so far. It will eventually be useful.
Reply 10
rach-13
Hey :smile: I'll be studying English and Creative Writing. So excited! As for the reading list, I have no clue. Oh dear..

I'll also be doing English Literature and Creative Writing! Started reading The Cambridge Introduction to Creative Writing, but that's it...
Reply 11
jack/ten
Has anyone started the reading list? I'm slightly confused, as to where it is, what books we should be reading. Do you choose the modules you want to study, then start your reading based on that module? Any help would be appreciated.. :smile:

I would start here: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/english/undergraduate/current/modules/fulllist/first/en122/modesen122/

or here:
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/english/undergraduate/current/modules/fulllist/first/en123/texts/

Not that i read anything before i started the course, but probably would have helped if i did, first year was a night mare.
I'm doing Lit and CW too, and the book list is freaking me out! :frown:
I've spent £105 so far, am about to spend another £150, and will need to spend more after that. This is ridiculous - surely we're missing something? 39 books for one year? I had to sell a load of xbox games to cover some of it. It'll be the TV next ;_; and physics dept is only asking for one £40 book.
There is a lot of reading for the English department. The University library has most course books available, so you could always borrow some of the books for the later terms.

I really recommend getting a start on the reading before Uni begins, otherwise you may struggle to keep up.
Reply 14
HelenneleH
I'll also be doing English Literature and Creative Writing! Started reading The Cambridge Introduction to Creative Writing, but that's it...

Hello. I'm also going to do English Literature and Creative Writing at Warwick. Could you please tell me where the reading list for 2010 is on the internet? I have most of the books for 2009, but I can't find the 2010 list.
Reply 15
IntrinsicLouis
I'm doing Lit and CW too, and the book list is freaking me out! :frown:
I've spent £105 so far, am about to spend another £150, and will need to spend more after that. This is ridiculous - surely we're missing something? 39 books for one year? I had to sell a load of xbox games to cover some of it. It'll be the TV next ;_; and physics dept is only asking for one £40 book.

Where did you find a list of books to buy, please?
Reply 16
Mair S
Hello. I'm also going to do English Literature and Creative Writing at Warwick. Could you please tell me where the reading list for 2010 is on the internet? I have most of the books for 2009, but I can't find the 2010 list.

Hi! I couldn't find the full list either, so I checked the set texts for each module:
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/english/undergraduate/current/modules/fulllist/first/en122/
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/english/undergraduate/current/modules/fulllist/first/en124/
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/english/undergraduate/current/modules/fulllist/first/en121/
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/english/undergraduate/current/modules/fulllist/first/en123/texts/ (but Literature in the Modern World is an optional module, I think)
EVERYBODY DOING ENGLISH.

I've made a big database of allllll of the books needed for the core course
+ the lit and cw ones
but NOT the theatre ones.

You can sort it according to isbn, term needed, publisher, etc etc.

Anyone wants it, message me!

You just need microsoft access to open it. That generally comes with word.
I've just bought what I knew of the reading list- I just sort of scoured the modules for our course (doing straight English Lit) and I'm trying to start reading it. Already finished Howl, logical and easy place to start (and I'd already read it beforehand- wahey!), currently trying to tackle To The Lighthouse.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who finds Woolf to be like an unfunny Dickens?

Latest

Trending

Trending