The Student Room Group

Need help/confirmation please.

Might aswell just start from the top. Am on a gap year, but retook two of my A-levels.

On results day my track never updated for both my firm & insurance, so they both still said conditional (AA both, stupid I know). So went to pick up my grades & found out that I got A*B. Ever since then i've been calling both my firm & insurance. My firm told me the reason why I never saw an update on track is 'cause of them never receiving my proof of GCSE grades & my other A level, which i've sent 4 times to them. So I recent them & whilst waiting for them to make a decision I thought may aswell find out why my insurance hasn't updated. Phoned them, to find out that they couldn't even find me on their system, & when they finally did they didn't even have my grades. I told them my grades & they said they'll get back to me with a decision by end of tomorrow (today).

I then receive an e-mail from my firm telling me they're letting me go, even tho they're in clearing, so I basically send a couple e-mails to them asking why & telling them im getting a priority remark from my B as I was only 2 marks off A. By then its 5pm so won't receive a reply so decide to just phone them tomorrow. Phoned them next day to ask them whats happening, as track still hasn't updated, for them to tell me they just sent an unconditional to my track so que celebration :woo: . Come back home later on the day & see i've got a reply from the head of admission who i've been speaking in my e-mail saying reason they never accepted me is cause i've never met the condition (but am wondering why ask for me to send proof of GCSE grades if they're going to reject me anyways). Yet on my track it says my place has been confirmed & my offer is now unconditional :confused: SO my question is do I tell the head admission this or keep quite as i've also registered online (enroled). And also once my offer turns to unconditional, as it is now, can they take it back?

Appreciate it very very much if you read all that I know its long sorry :frown:

And to the others that cba reading that but want to help short version:
Track updated with unconditional, confirmation of place, yet person i've been talking to via e-mail is saying they're going to have to reject me. Can they do that? Should I let her know i've already been accepted, espicially when i've already registered/enroled on system.
Reply 1
It sounds to me like the head of admissions probably contacted you whilst in ignorance of the offer that had been made to you.

I would simply send him/her an email saying that you have now received your unconditional offer, and thank them, and would be happy to send them certificates of your GCSEs and A-Levels should they still require them.
End it with "I look forward to attending X in September"

I thought if they gave you the offer on UCAS they're legally obliged to continue that offer.... but I'm not sure; I'm no expert.
I think the same as the person above... Once they make the offer they're legally obliged or binded or whatever. I COULD be wrong though, but that's what I've read on here. Maybe check on UCAS?
Reply 3
MaddyGee
It sounds to me like the head of admissions probably contacted you whilst in ignorance of the offer that had been made to you.

I would simply send him/her an email saying that you have now received your unconditional offer, and thank them, and would be happy to send them certificates of your GCSEs and A-Levels should they still require them.
End it with "I look forward to attending X in September"

I thought if they gave you the offer on UCAS they're legally obliged to continue that offer.... but I'm not sure; I'm no expert.

Thanks both of you for the replies, & yh thats what am also thinking but checking on this forum its seems like I need to wait for AS12 letter from ucas which they're saying they'll be sending me shortly. So am thinking just wait till I have that letter as prove & then ask whats going on?, as i've already been accepted :biggrin: .

And the lady thats been sending me the e-mails is the Senior Admissions and Recruitment Co-ordinator, whereas the one that told me they were just about to send me an unconditional is only a Admissions and Recruitment Officer. Theres only 3 of them that deal with the offers & confirmations so wondering how the hell they're getting their wires crossed.
why-me
SO my question is do I tell the head admission this or keep quite as i've also registered online (enroled). And also once my offer turns to unconditional, as it is now, can they take it back?

Track updated with unconditional, confirmation of place, yet person i've been talking to via e-mail is saying they're going to have to reject me. Can they do that? Should I let her know i've already been accepted, espicially when i've already registered/enroled on system.

I think it sounds like there has been a lack of communication within the department - there has been a decision somewhere that you are to be allowed a place, but your e-mail contact either hasn't been informed or sent that e-mail before they knew what was going on.

Whether or not they can take it back is a bit of a tricky issue. If you receive an AS12, the answer is no - that is your proof that you are definitely going to that course. Right now, it's uncertain; some people say it showing on Track means the uni have to honour it, some say that unis are given room to make error.

What you should definitely do is take a screenshot of it, with the time and date of taking this screenshot included, so that you have some evidence that you were confirmed. Take a few over a course of time, just to prove it wasn't there for two seconds.

As for telling them... I'd be tempted to leave it until after the AS12 came.
Reply 5
TheSownRose
I think it sounds like there has been a lack of communication within the department - there has been a decision somewhere that you are to be allowed a place, but your e-mail contact either hasn't been informed or sent that e-mail before they knew what was going on.

Whether or not they can take it back is a bit of a tricky issue. If you receive an AS12, the answer is no - that is your proof that you are definitely going to that course. Right now, it's uncertain; some people say it showing on Track means the uni have to honour it, some say that unis are given room to make error.

What you should definitely do is take a screenshot of it, with the time and date of taking this screenshot included, so that you have some evidence that you were confirmed. Take a few over a course of time, just to prove it wasn't there for two seconds.

As for telling them... I'd be tempted to leave it until after the AS12 came.

Thanks a lot much appreciated, will leave it till I get the AS12 from ucas & confirmation letter from them aswell to e-mail them & ask whats going on.
Technically they can take it back (even after an as12) ad long as it was a genuine mistake and they explain and apologise to you.

I would recommend contacting UCAS and explaining to them who said what. Given how close you were to meeting your offer, the fact that you might still meet you offer and the way the uni has been very disorganised in dealing with your application - I can't see UCAS being at all sympathetic towards the uni and they'll be able to clarify the situation with everyone at the uni (and it will most likely come out as it is now - with you getting your place). There is a chance that getting it cleared up this way will end in an official rejjection (but if that's the case they can overwrite track with a reject any time) in which case your hopes will lie on your remark.
Reply 7
why-me
Might aswell just start from the top. Am on a gap year, but retook two of my A-levels.

On results day my track never updated for both my firm & insurance, so they both still said conditional (AA both, stupid I know). So went to pick up my grades & found out that I got A*B. Ever since then i've been calling both my firm & insurance. My firm told me the reason why I never saw an update on track is 'cause of them never receiving my proof of GCSE grades & my other A level, which i've sent 4 times to them. So I recent them & whilst waiting for them to make a decision I thought may aswell find out why my insurance hasn't updated. Phoned them, to find out that they couldn't even find me on their system, & when they finally did they didn't even have my grades. I told them my grades & they said they'll get back to me with a decision by end of tomorrow (today).

I then receive an e-mail from my firm telling me they're letting me go, even tho they're in clearing, so I basically send a couple e-mails to them asking why & telling them im getting a priority remark from my B as I was only 2 marks off A. By then its 5pm so won't receive a reply so decide to just phone them tomorrow. Phoned them next day to ask them whats happening, as track still hasn't updated, for them to tell me they just sent an unconditional to my track so que celebration . Come back home later on the day & see i've got a reply from the head of admission who i've been speaking in my e-mail saying reason they never accepted me is cause i've never met the condition (but am wondering why ask for me to send proof of GCSE grades if they're going to reject me anyways). Yet on my track it says my place has been confirmed & my offer is now unconditional SO my question is do I tell the head admission this or keep quite as i've also registered online (enroled). And also once my offer turns to unconditional, as it is now, can they take it back?

Appreciate it very very much if you read all that I know its long sorry :frown:

And to the others that cba reading that but want to help short version:
It sounds to me like the Head of Admissions was behind the case Anyway, as PQ says the thing to do is to contact UCAS this morning - they're open from 8.30. The other point that occurs to me is, what's happened about your insurance?
Reply 8
PQ
Technically they can take it back (even after an as12) ad long as it was a genuine mistake and they explain and apologise to you.

I would recommend contacting UCAS and explaining to them who said what. Given how close you were to meeting your offer, the fact that you might still meet you offer and the way the uni has been very disorganised in dealing with your application - I can't see UCAS being at all sympathetic towards the uni and they'll be able to clarify the situation with everyone at the uni (and it will most likely come out as it is now - with you getting your place). There is a chance that getting it cleared up this way will end in an official rejjection (but if that's the case they can overwrite track with a reject any time) in which case your hopes will lie on your remark.

Just got off the phone with UCAS & they basically told me as i've got unconditional on track & registered online with the uni, its upto me wether I want to keep going as it is & not listen to the senior admissions ladys rejection or phone up them up & get a confirmation of whats going on. I just basically finished registering now & have an e-mail saying my uni ID will be there waiting for me when I go there to en-roll.

Minerva
It sounds to me like the Head of Admissions was behind the case Anyway, as PQ says the thing to do is to contact UCAS this morning - they're open from 8.30. The other point that occurs to me is, what's happened about your insurance?

At that time when I spoke to my insurance, I basically told them my firm rejected me (as thats what I thought they did), but track still hadn't updated. They told me they'ld reply to me by end of the day with a decision, but by then my track was showing an unconditional from my firm. So now it just says unsuccessfull, but don't know wether I got rejected for my grades or them seeing am holding an offer already. My friend who also applied to the same uni & course as me who got ABB when both our conditions were AAB has been accepted. Whereas, I got A*BB, so yh seems like i'm not being very lucky in all the decisions as would've like to have an insurance that said unconditional just in case the worst happened.
Reply 9
why-me
Just got off the phone with UCAS & they basically told me as i've got unconditional on track & registered online with the uni, its upto me wether I want to keep going as it is & not listen to the senior admissions ladys rejection or phone up them up & get a confirmation of whats going on. I just basically finished registering now & have an e-mail saying my uni ID will be there waiting for me when I go there to en-roll.

At that time when I spoke to my insurance, I basically told them my firm rejected me (as thats what I thought they did), but track still hadn't updated. They told me they'ld reply to me by end of the day with a decision, but by then my track was showing an unconditional from my firm. So now it just says unsuccessfull, but don't know wether I got rejected for my grades or them seeing am holding an offer already. My friend who also applied to the same uni & course as me who got ABB when both our conditions were AAB has been accepted. Whereas, I got A*BB, so yh seems like i'm not being very lucky in all the decisions as would've like to have an insurance that said unconditional just in case the worst happened.
Actually I think that's to your advantage. My view is that your firm uni must take you and it sounds like UCAS agrees, so go for it.
Reply 10
Minerva
Actually I think that's to your advantage. My view is that your firm uni must take you and it sounds like UCAS agrees, so go for it.

Go for what? Trying to sneak my way into uni :biggrin: or phone them for confirmation? Thanks a lot for all your help everyone, much appreciated :cool:
Reply 11
why-me
Go for what? Trying to sneak my way into uni :biggrin: or phone them for confirmation? Thanks a lot for all your help everyone, much appreciated
I don't think you are sneaking your way in at all. If your Track says unconditional, and you have been able to register on the uni's own system, this makes you no different from anyone else who met their offer straight off and didn't have to phone the uni to sort it out.

So, keep all the paperwork and screenshots, and if in time you don't receive the stuff from them you expect eg re accommodation, chase them up. If they then try and tell you that you haven't got a place, I'm very sure that UCAS will back you. You haven't received any emails, since your Track updated to unconditional, saying that they've made a mistake - as I read your post that's not what the email from Admissions said - and if the uni was trying to retract the offer, UCAS should have known about it by this morning. Since they clearly didn't, even if they were to try and play silly Bs on Monday I reckon UCAS would give them extremely short shrift.

Latest

Trending

Trending