The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
skotch
In my opinion, Warwick and Durham aren't that great for psychology... especially not Warwick. Just saying...

If you're expecting AAA at A level, in order to not be disappointed when it comes to results, an ABB uni should be fine.

Btw, what subjects are you doing?

Have you got any grounding to those assumptions other than league tables? Just interested.
Reply 21
Katie_louise
Have you got any grounding to those assumptions other than league tables? Just interested.

Not particularly, although I do have a thing against those 2 unis. I think they're totally overrated. Obviously, I haven't been to either, so I can't really talk...
Reply 22
skotch
Not particularly, although I do have a thing against those 2 unis. I think they're totally overrated. Obviously, I haven't been to either, so I can't really talk...

No, you can't :no: I am willing to debate/discuss the merit of different courses with people who actually know what they are talking about (i.e. have actually been to uni) :rolleyes: Making judgements without any attempt to investigate is not a good quality for a psychologist. Some 'up and coming' universities have made some amazing contributions to psychology/neuroscience (for example Aston and it's development of brain scanning technology).
Reply 23
I <3 Durham though.

I do psych, sociology, RE and health and social (WORST DECISION EVER)
Reply 24
MissFanatical
no lmao.

Actually they do... I'm surprised so many people have said this isn't true without checking it. (I applied - and got in - last year so I remember this being a requirement.)

GCSEs: We would normally expect applicants, who have taken GCSEs, to have at least 4 A* grades in the above subjects.

A-levels: We would normally expect applicants to have predicted (or to have gained) Grade As in three subjects at A2-level (excluding General Studies). However, we strongly recommend that you take at least one or more of the science subjects (Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Psychology) and/or Mathematics to full A level.

http://www.psy.ox.ac.uk/undergrad/ugentryrequirments

Also:
Initially, short-listing applicants is based heavily upon academic performance and the results of the pre-interview admissions test. For example, we would expect students who have taken GCSEs to have excellent grades, i.e. at least 4 A* grades including an A or A* grade at GCSE Mathematics, and obtain an above average mark on our pre-interview admissions test.

http://www.psy.ox.ac.uk/undergrad/selection_criteria

I'm not saying they'd never make an exception, but they certainly list it in their requirements.

OP, I'm sorry to say this, but with your A level subjects and GCSE grades, it doesn't sound like you'd be likely to get an interview at Oxford. (See the first link for "an idea of what subjects and grades we would normally expect from candidates applying to do a Experimental Psychology or Psychology & Philosophy Degree at Oxford".) When I applied, I thought pretty much everyone would get an interview for EP, but when I went down, one of the helpers said that only 12 out of the 30 applicants to that college were invited to interview for the 4 spots available. I don't know how typical that is though. I know there were some people last year on here with very impressive subject related extra curriculars/experience and very good (but not the absolute best) subjects and grades who I was surprised didn't get interviews.

I know you said you're definitely applying and that's fine if you can't bear the thought of not at least giving it a shot. Maybe it would be an idea to email the admissions department though and ask whether they'd consider you. That way if they say no you've at least given it some kind of shot but you haven't wasted a spot on your application that could prove very important. I don't say all this to be harsh. I just think it's best to have as much info as possible.

Have a good look at the requirements for all the places you're applying to and make sure you meet them. It's generally not a good idea to apply to places where you don't meet the requirements as it just makes the admissions tutor's job very easy when he's sifting through the thousands of applications and wondering which to reject. Applying to one long shot, two at about the right level and two with lower requirements is a good idea, or you could apply to 5 with progressively lower requirements which is sort of what I did, although not really intentionally.

Some places you could look at that have particularly good psych departments but are either less competitive or have lower grade requirements are York (lower grade reqs but very competitive), Nottingham (less competitive, also has option of psych with cognitive neuroscience which has a lower offer), Birmingham (I didn't apply there but I think it's somewhere inbetween for competitiveness), Cardiff, St Andrews (high grade reqs but in the middle of nowhere so not as competitive as it could be), Glasgow, Kent, Bangor (very good psych dep and like 1/3 of their students do psych but very low entrance reqs - again in the middle of nowhere but a nice area) and Sussex.

These places have particularly good reps for psychology but aren't necessarily as well known overall. (Also Bath and Bristol but they're very competitive *and* have high grade reqs. Oh and to some extent Exeter. That's worth looking at.) Durham and Warwick are more the other way around. Obviously this is pretty subjective though and not an exhaustive list. If you're not planning on a career in psych, then the overall rep might be more important to you.

There's no point in applying to places you wouldn't go to even if you had no other offers, but having a spread of unis with different requirements is a good idea. You've picked four of the most prestigious unis in the country (not for psych, but in general) and then one considerably lower. If you get rejected from the first four, you might find yourself wishing you had something inbetween.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Edit - Also, you might want to look at how much emphasis the websites put on sciences. A lot want a minimum of one science subject at A level and I seem to remember somewhere requesting two. They generally accept psychology for this but when it comes to making offers, they often seem to favour those with more sciences. I'm not saying avoid these places, just be aware that they could be more risky. Bath's course appears to be more social-sciencey (as opposed to experimental/natural science) than most (and is why I didn't apply there). I don't know if that makes it more or less appealing to you? Oxford, York, Bristol and UCL particularly emphasise the science aspect. Not so sure about other places.
Reply 25
Meliae
Actually they do... I'm surprised so many people have said this isn't true without checking it. (I applied - and got in - last year so I remember this being a requirement.)

http://www.psy.ox.ac.uk/undergrad/ugentryrequirments

Also:

http://www.psy.ox.ac.uk/undergrad/selection_criteria

I'm not saying they'd never make an exception, but they certainly list it in their requirements.

OP, I'm sorry to say this, but with your A level subjects and GCSE grades, it doesn't sound like you'd be likely to get an interview at Oxford. (See the first link for "an idea of what subjects and grades we would normally expect from candidates applying to do a Experimental Psychology or Psychology & Philosophy Degree at Oxford".) When I applied, I thought pretty much everyone would get an interview for EP, but when I went down, one of the helpers said that only 12 out of the 30 applicants to that college were invited to interview for the 4 spots available. I don't know how typical that is though. I know there were some people last year on here with very impressive subject related extra curriculars/experience and very good (but not the absolute best) subjects and grades who I was surprised didn't get interviews.

I know you said you're definitely applying and that's fine if you can't bear the thought of not at least giving it a shot. Maybe it would be an idea to email the admissions department though and ask whether they'd consider you. That way if they say no you've at least given it some kind of shot but you haven't wasted a spot on your application that could prove very important. I don't say all this to be harsh. I just think it's best to have as much info as possible.

Have a good look at the requirements for all the places you're applying to and make sure you meet them. It's generally not a good idea to apply to places where you don't meet the requirements as it just makes the admissions tutor's job very easy when he's sifting through the thousands of applications and wondering which to reject. Applying to one long shot, two at about the right level and two with lower requirements is a good idea, or you could apply to 5 with progressively lower requirements which is sort of what I did, although not really intentionally.

Some places you could look at that have particularly good psych departments but are either less competitive or have lower grade requirements are York (lower grade reqs but very competitive), Nottingham (less competitive, also has option of psych with cognitive neuroscience which has a lower offer), Birmingham (I didn't apply there but I think it's somewhere inbetween for competitiveness), Cardiff, St Andrews (high grade reqs but in the middle of nowhere so not as competitive as it could be), Glasgow, Kent, Bangor (very good psych dep and like 1/3 of their students do psych but very low entrance reqs - again in the middle of nowhere but a nice area) and Sussex.

These places have particularly good reps for psychology but aren't necessarily as well known overall. (Also Bath and Bristol but they're very competitive *and* have high grade reqs. Oh and to some extent Exeter. That's worth looking at.) Durham and Warwick are more the other way around. Obviously this is pretty subjective though and not an exhaustive list. If you're not planning on a career in psych, then the overall rep might be more important to you.

There's no point in applying to places you wouldn't go to even if you had no other offers, but having a spread of unis with different requirements is a good idea. You've picked four of the most prestigious unis in the country (not for psych, but in general) and then one considerably lower. If you get rejected from the first four, you might find yourself wishing you had something inbetween.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Edit - Also, you might want to look at how much emphasis the websites put on sciences. A lot want a minimum of one science subject at A level and I seem to remember somewhere requesting two. They generally accept psychology for this but when it comes to making offers, they often seem to favour those with more sciences. I'm not saying avoid these places, just be aware that they could be more risky. Bath's course appears to be more social-sciencey (as opposed to experimental/natural science) than most (and is why I didn't apply there). I don't know if that makes it more or less appealing to you? Oxford, York, Bristol and UCL particularly emphasise the science aspect. Not so sure about other places.

Wow thanks! I had previously emailed them asking about an interview and they said that it would be possible, but not too likely that I'd get one. It was hard enough finding my 5th place to apply to, I'm really not bothered about loosing a place on ucas. TBH while I know I have very little chance of receiving an offer, I think I would regret this opportunity for a long time.
Reply 26
Katie_louise

Personally, I agree with skotch to a certain extent about Warwick (and sort of about Durham, but not entirely). I applied and got an offer from Warwick, and when I visited at the post-offer open day I realised that though it's a great university, it's strength doesn't seem to be in its psychology department (though of course that also depends on what area of psychology you're interested in. For me, I love my neuroscience and when the list of third year options came up without a single mention of this area, I became a little concerned. When I queried this, the lecturer guy who I asked basically said, 'we don't do neuropsych', which I think is a shame.) It came across to me as a psych department that is improving but that's not at the top of its game just yet- organisation on the day wasn't great, lack of facilities was a little disappointing...And the small things add up. But still, no doubt that it's still a reasonably good psychology department and graduating from Warwick with a degree in psych certainly isn't a bad thing. I just ended up choosing somewhere else that I thought might appear a bit more favourably if deciding to remain in the field.

I'm sure some reverse criticisms could be aimed at the psychology department I'm going to (perhaps lacking in another area of psychology, etc.) so it's nothing personal against Warwick.
Reply 27
llacerta
Personally, I agree with skotch to a certain extent about Warwick (and sort of about Durham, but not entirely). I applied and got an offer from Warwick, and when I visited at the post-offer open day I realised that though it's a great university, it's strength doesn't seem to be in its psychology department (though of course that also depends on what area of psychology you're interested in. For me, I love my neuroscience and when the list of third year options came up without a single mention of this area, I became a little concerned. When I queried this, the lecturer guy who I asked basically said, 'we don't do neuropsych', which I think is a shame.) It came across to me as a psych department that is improving but that's not at the top of its game just yet- organisation on the day wasn't great, lack of facilities was a little disappointing...And the small things add up. But still, no doubt that it's still a reasonably good psychology department and graduating from Warwick with a degree in psych certainly isn't a bad thing. I just ended up choosing somewhere else that I thought might appear a bit more favourably if deciding to remain in the field.

I'm sure some reverse criticisms could be aimed at the psychology department I'm going to (perhaps lacking in another area of psychology, etc.) so it's nothing personal against Warwick.

I agree about the neuropsychology- but then it isn't a neuroscience course. There is a definite leaning towards biological rather than social psychology though. On the open day they don't tend to show people the bits of equipment we do have (as well as the labs), which is a shame. One of the really good things about coming here is the name. Most psychology undergrads don't become psychologists so the name of the university is more important (at undergrad level) than the reputation of the course (not that the reputation is all that bad!). If you do want to become a psychologist then you move to a department that is good for your area of interest- which most people do anyway.
Reply 28
I'm doing Psychology at Durham starting this year and got AAA (A* general) this year but AABB last year, i was predicted AAAA. I also got offers from Leeds, Sheffield and Newcastle though at AAB, which both include general apart from Leeds. With those grades I would say you would get an offer from sheffield straight away (mine literally came within a week of applying and I didn't even apply that early) Newcastle is also flexible depending on how many sciences you do. I did Psychology English and Product Deisgn so my offer was AAB but I have a friend who did maths so his offer was ABB and if you do 3 sciences it goes down to BBB.

I would say either of those 3 could be good as insurances if you're still looking as I would say you are pretty likely to get an offer outright. I also applied to Bristol but was unsuccesful but that was because they did ask for at least 2 sciences but applied anyway. Said friend from before got lower grades than me at AS but still got an offer from bristol so if you do 2 sciences it's definitely worth applying there :smile:

Latest