The Student Room Group

Birmingham Medicine Applicants 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Does occupational health charge you for the vaccinations you haven't had?
Reply 2121
No post card for me as of yet :frown:

Whens the deadline for accomadation changes???

Can I change after my June exams are ove
r??

Have suddenly got a feeling tht I might miss my offer if I dnt wrk harder :frown:
Im coming to Birmingham next year!! :biggrin:
Reply 2123
Original post by gozatron
Already joined, I'll let you work out who I am. :biggrin:

you have?? :colone:
Original post by Andrii

Original post by Andrii
you have?? :colone:

Yep :biggrin:

Hehehe i've joined too... I cant seem to work out who's joined from TSR though :P
Reply 2126

Is it bad that I can't work out who you are? :tongue:

Original post by Bubbles2010
Hehehe i've joined too... I cant seem to work out who's joined from TSR though :P

Same here! I should've made it compulsory for people to state their TSR username when joining :colone:
Reply 2127
Original post by Andrii
Is it bad that I can't work out who you are? :tongue:

Same here! I should've made it compulsory for people to state their TSR username when joining :colone:

In fairness mine is pretty easy to guess... and its not that hard to work out - i've worked it out for all of you (although this makes me sound like a stalkerish creep! :wink: )
Reply 2128
Original post by sgauton
In fairness mine is pretty easy to guess... and its not that hard to work out - i've worked it out for all of you (although this makes me sound like a stalkerish creep! :wink: )

I definitely know who you are :tongue:

Mine's really easy to guess too...I doubt it could be any more obvious in fact! I'm just really bad at guessing who everyone else is...I'm not a stalkerish creep either, promise! :colone: just err...curious :biggrin:
Original post by Bubbles2010

Ive joined too :biggrin:
So excited for september :smile:
Reply 2130
Have we died out?
Reply 2131
hii
Original post by Avicenna93
Does occupational health charge you for the vaccinations you haven't had?

Oo err, a hard one. They may well. Usually for things like serology (they take blood for an antibody count to check your immunity to Hep B as Hep B immunisation doesn't always... work) they don't charge unless you miss your appointment. I missed an appointment, cost me £15... But to be fair it was straight after an exam and there was important post-exam alcohol consumption that took priority and made me forget.... :P

If they do charge for vaccinations, I don't think it'll be much; should just be a few pounds for the jab. You can always refuse and say you'll get it at home for free and have a later date arranged for the serology.

I had all mine done at home; my final Hep B was done on 23rd December so I went to my home GP for it, so they cost me nothing.

For TB, you don't necessarily need certification of the administration of the BCG and you don't need to do another Mantoux (OUUCH) test - as long as you can show your BCG scar to the doctor that should be enough. Helps if you bring documents, though.

It's not urgent and not having it in time for the occupational health checks won't put you in any real danger, though, since you're unlikely to come into contact with any bloods until Year 2 (although some of us were allowed to take blood this year), and even if you did it's not the end of the world, the chances of getting Hep B even if the patient has it are 0 unless you managed to stab yourself with the same needle, and even then it's close to 0 and you'd get retrovirals anyway... Just saying.

I did come across a lady with TB in her peritoneum on surgical rounds on my hospital taster day though.... That was interesting... But once again, harmless.

Hope my random ramblings have the benefit of piquing your interest in first year, however. There is a hell of a lot of pre-clinical stuff, enzymes and drugs to learn, but a few clinical highlights :smile:
Reply 2133
Original post by Andrii
Woo congratulations!!! :party:

Reply 2134
Congrats to everyone who got their results today!

Hope to see you all at the HOP....!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Congratulations to everyone who got their offer - I look forward to teaching some of you BLS this coming year! :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2136
Original post by hashman27
Man, I got rejected from Birmingham after interview. I thought it was a tough one, qs on medical manslaughter, my views on egypt, am I good enough for medicine :angry: and criticism of my ps :angry::angry:. But then I got an offer from UCL two days later so it's ok I guess.

Me too! They kept asking about badminton and he criticised my piano. Prof. Lote can stick his badminton racquet up where the Sun don't shine!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending