The Student Room Group

Birmingham Medicine Applicants 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Andrii
Omg yes! :eek:

Small world! :p:

Omg that's awesome! :woo: I thought I recognised those uni choices from somewhere :p: Haha that's crazy :biggrin:
Reply 61
colabottles
Omg that's awesome! :woo: I thought I recognised those uni choices from somewhere :p: Haha that's crazy :biggrin:

I know right!! :woo: This is such a weird yet awesome coincidence :biggrin:

Keep me posted on how uni app's going & best of luck :smile:
Do two short course A*s at GCSE add up to one whole one?
:smile:
if there are any graduates here applying to or got in to Birmingham A100, can you tell me whether they look at your GCSEs at all when you apply as a graduate to the undergraduate course? Apparently they don't according to what they told me on the phone, but I would like some reassurance that some graduates got in with low GCSE grades.

Thank you
Reply 64
Right, here goes...

I have 7A* (shock horror i know) BUT I took an extra AS level 'early' (Computing) with my GCSEs at the expense of taking up a GCSE. Got an A in that, bla bla. Anyways, i emailed admissions during the summer explaining this... here was the response:

"Thank you for your message. You can apply providing that your GCSE’s do not also include computing - we will not count it at both GCSE and AS level."

Sounds vague (or probably even negative :frown: ) i know but I've spoken to 3 different friends who had a chance to ask that question at open day and their response was that they would class the A as an GCSE A*. Don't know how that is possible to show on UCAS if they don't look beyond the actual GCSE results.

Still i'm not 100% sure and probably won't be until i either get rejected or called for interview.

I'm also applying through a2b... my school said i meet the criteria and people in previous years have got into brum med school through this. Don't know if it lowers the GCSE requirements though (but one guy got in through the previous year and it did nothing to his A Level offer i.e. remained at AAA, so it must do something...)

Any thoughts?
Reply 65
I'm applying, my other choises are too tough,my life depends a lot on BHAM.
Reply 66
hi guys, im actually on a gap year atm, got AAA in bio chem maths A2, but i only have 4A*s 5As and a B at gcse, so i was wondering whether it would be worth applying to birmingham, would i be auto rejected because i have 4A*s even though ive already got my AAA at ALevel, which is what they want?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 67
I assume they would. From what I've gathered they just rank applicants on A*'s and invite the top 1000 applicants to interview assuming you have/are predicted AAA.
Reply 68
AA_3d
hi guys, im actually on a gap year atm, got AAA in bio chem maths A2, but i only have 4A*s 5As and a B at gcse, so i was wondering whether it would be worth applying to birmingham, would i be auto rejected because i have 4A*s even though ive already got my AAA at ALevel, which is what they want?

no, they have the minimum requirements, which you dont meet, im afraid, so im sorry, you can;t apply
Reply 69
OMG!
Interview already!

UCAS Sent on : Tuesday 28th
Interview Reply: 1st October
killfestab
OMG!
Interview already!

Bloody hell that is quick. Congratulations!!! When is your interview date?
Reply 71
I have an interview too :biggrin: 20th October.
killfestab
OMG!
Interview already!

You have an interview already!?!?!?!?!
Wow, nice one!
Reply 73
killfestab
OMG!
Interview already!

geez..I haven't even sent in my application *nervous*
Do you reckon I should do that asap?:confused:
Good luck on the interview:wink:
sparky93
geez..I haven't even sent in my application *nervous*
Do you reckon I should do that asap?:confused:
Good luck on the interview:wink:

ive sent mine to my tutor but she refuses to attach a reference till the 15th
**** ***** ***** :rolleyes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 75
Well done people who've got interviews already :biggrin: that was even earlier than last year I think!
killfestab, I know you're international (hiii :P ), TryHere, are you international too? :smile: just trying to figure out any patterns :smile:
Woah, people have interviews already?! I'm sending my UCAS form tomorrow, I'm nervous now! xD
Interviews already?! And taking place so soon?! I'm so not prepared...
Nucleolus
Interviews already?! And taking place so soon?! I'm so not prepared...

Same, omfg! :woo:
Reply 79
Interviews ont he 20th October?!?!?!

I think i just had a heart attack...

I wasn't expecting anything until at least late November time!!!
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending