The Student Room Group

Taking a 3rd year of College. What are my chances for University?

I'll explain my situation as quickly as I can.
I've just turned 19 in July and planned on going away to University to study an art and design course. The last year I've completed a Foundation in art and design but upon finishing it I have decided to study something in Veterinary Science as I've always had an interest to do this. (I think I only wanted to go into the arts before because I maybe thought it was an easy way to University)

I was in my first year of college three years ago but now I've applied to go back and study a fast track in A Level Biology (And maybe Environmental Science) as I came out with D in Sociology, D in English, C in As Photography and B in Psychology. (I have have a pass in the Art and Design Foundation now)

Looking back on my college years I now notice I did terrible and wish I took my studies more seriously at the time.
So now is my second chance. I'm thinking if I can achieve at least B's in Biology and Environmental Science (Although I will aim for A's obviously) it will give me a solid foundation of three B's at A level (The third being my Psychology)

I'm thinking of studying the 2 year foundation degree in UWE Bristol in Veterinary Nursing Science then leading it up with a three or four year degree afterwards.

My point to all this is, Do I have a chance at applying for University next year? Or will Uni's look at my random qualifications (Which should be three A level B's, two A level D's, one As C and a foundation in Art and Design) and think I'm too undecided for them to take me.

Also will my age hinder me? As I will be 20 when applying for University.

Any help?
Reply 1
My friend is 21 in February and he's just finished his A2's. He failed the entire year of AS when he was 17 and then done a number of on-off apprenticeships for the years leading up to when he applied to redo A levels again at 19. He's now going to study Chemistry at Newcastle, so I'd say anything's possible!
Your age shouldn't be a problem and your mixed bag of Alevels will show you have a broad range of skills. With 4 passes though you could probably apply for something now without doing more. But if you really want to be a vet nurse then biology and enviromental science will give you 6 alevels and that should be enough for anybody though you might want to consider an AS in chemistry. :smile:
Yeah I am going to try and go through clearing for the course anyway (I am ringing the University Monday) to see if I can get on this year. That would be even better. Although I don't think I will stand much of a chance with what I have now. At least it will be worth a shot.

I'll post back when I know.
I don't think it'll be as hard a you think, because they'll be able to see what grades you got in what subject for a start, so they can see how capable you are in the subject area you wish to proceed in. And as for age,youll be fine, for example, my dad is 44, and he's about to do a BSc! Age is no problem at all.

Just try and do the best personal statement you can,get some experience in, and i'm sure you'll be fine.

Good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending