The Student Room Group

Science in Society- anyone familiar?

My brother is just going into Y10, and his class (top set) did the majority of their GCSE modules in Y9, so they've been told they'll be taking AS Science in Society in Y10, and then the full A2 Level in Y11.

Now, obviously I'm all for him being able to do an A Level early, as it will give him something under his belt when he gets to the stage of applying for unis, but how credible is the course? I've never heard of it, have no idea how hard it is, or how highly institutions rate it..

Anyone got any experience of this, or experience of applying to places with this as one of their options?
*Bump*

Nobody has replied, and I was looking forward to responses.
Anyone?
Hey :smile:
I don't know 100% as our college has only just started offering it as an option for extended study next year.
My guess is that it is in the same category as Critical thinking, Gen studies etc. I think it is credible in terms of skills obtained, but actual learning I don't think it is too credible. I am led to believe it's something like the Scientific Domain section of the general studies exams?

Sorry I can't help much more!
Reply 3
Hello,
If you're talking about the AQA A-Level course, all I can say is do not take it. I completed the course this year with a grade D after spending all my time on it throughout the AS and A2, (btw I am not in any way near to a D grade student) I prioritised it over my 2 other A-Levels and still came out with nothing. The material is stupidly hard as anything you learn is never the correct answer you always have to be specific or 'dead on'. Also in my sixth form the AS class started off with around 28 students, by the time we got to A2, there was only 7 of us - need I say more?

On the other hand if you're not talking about that course then i'm sorry for making you read all of that...

[EDIT] - I just realised you were talking about your brother, I hadn't read the top...
Wow! I can't believe they're making GCSE students take that course, but if it is what I'm talking about then it is a real a-level, and in my sixth form they used it to replace 'applied science' as it had a more straight forward curriculum, you can find out about it on this website, http://www.scienceinsocietyadvanced.org/ -
I'm not sure how high it is rated as a course, but from my above part of the post you should be able to tell it's anything but easy, It was only introduced in autumn 2008 so I just think that it is too new for anyone to know any better, but hopefully the course and marking will be improved this year as they'll no doubt see by the shoddy marks ...

Latest