The Student Room Group

Would it be worth sending a cover letter?

I was very ill during my A-Level exams to the point of having to leave in the middle of 2 exams to vomit/pass out. So understandably I was very very worried about my results. But I got A*AAAa and was soo happy and relieved. :woo:

I know I sound like a right prat but I know I could have done that little bit better if I hadn't been so ill and could have scraped a few more A*s (I was only a few UMS off) I'm a medic re-applicant so I was wondering whether it would be worth sending a cover letter to unis this year just explaining the situation with my exams and perhaps sending a copy of the letter I was given by my GP ?

Don't get me wrong I am really pleased with my results and so happy I am still able to apply to medicine but I can't help but wonder what would have happened if I hadn't been so ill...
Reply 1
This seems like something that should be included in your reference. Just ask your referee nicely, I'm sure they'd put it in there.
Reply 2
If it was notable then your school will have told the exam boards, who will have looked at it and given special consideration if necessary. So it's already been taken into account. Essentially a letter would just be trying to get double credit for one problem.

If you must, ask your referee to include it.
as above. If the exams officer knew about it they will have informed the exam board who will have already taken it into account.
Stop trying to milk the system to up your marks.
Reply 4
Juno
If it was notable then your school will have told the exam boards, who will have looked at it and given special consideration if necessary. So it's already been taken into account. Essentially a letter would just be trying to get double credit for one problem.

If you must, ask your referee to include it.

Yes it was pretty notable as I had to go to A+E which was really fun I can assure you. I just wondered if it would be better to inform them as its a condition which is likely to return and affect me from time to time and I wondered where on my application it was best to include this.
Reply 5
hypocriticaljap

Stop trying to milk the system to up your marks.

Ever the cynical one aren't we :rolleyes:
Reply 6
dearyme
Yes it was pretty notable as I had to go to A+E which was really fun I can assure you. I just wondered if it would be better to inform them as its a condition which is likely to return and affect me from time to time and I wondered where on my application it was best to include this.

No, you weren't wondering that at all.

If you were, your post would have been "shall I tell them about this illness which is likely to reoccur?" not "omg feel sorry for me as this happened in my exams".

Sugarcoat it however you like but the admissions tutors will see through you.
Reply 7
Juno
No, you weren't wondering that at all.

If you were, your post would have been "shall I tell them about this illness which is likely to reoccur?" not "omg feel sorry for me as this happened in my exams".

Sugarcoat it however you like but the admissions tutors will see through you.

Yes they can feel sorry for me if they like, everyone likes a bit of sympathy every now and again. You know I think I might just send a huge card to them saying PITY ME. Maybe I'll call them up and cry and write a personal statement all about my problems and how they make me feel....:awesome:
dearyme
Ever the cynical one aren't we :rolleyes:

Just milk the damn system for all you can, I certainly would! :cool:
Reply 9
dearyme
Yes they can feel sorry for me if they like, everyone likes a bit of sympathy every now and again. You know I think I might just send a huge card to them saying PITY ME. Maybe I'll call them up and cry and write a personal statement all about my problems and how they make me feel....:awesome:

You think you're joking, but by sending the letter as you plan that's exactly what you're doing anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending