The Student Room Group

AS and A-Level English literature and language resource thread

Scroll to see replies

We are studying the following texts: The kite Runner, The rgeat Gatsby, Rosseetti poems ( The convent Threshold, Cousin Kate, Goblin Market, Jessie Cameron, Winter:My secret ) and Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

We have an exam coming up and I am not as confient as I would like to be, the exam board is AQA. There is a section A in which you choose a question and answer parts a) and b) to it. Both are worth 21 marks and you have a reccommended time of 30mins to sepnd on each of them. This forms a combined 42 marks in an hours time.

And there is a section B in which you choose a question, it is worth 42 marks and you are recommended to spend 1 hour on it.

What I would like help on is, how do I answer these questions? What do I include in each of these questions? Which A0's do I ahve to include, and what do each of the A0's require a candidate to include and talk about?

Furthermore, any resourcse on the analysis and/or aspects of narrative on the texts mentioned above would be of monumental help. I understand I am asking for a very sophisticated answer, however it would help a lot in preparation for the exam.
Original post by polarbear22

Original post by polarbear22
We are studying the following texts: The kite Runner, The rgeat Gatsby, Rosseetti poems ( The convent Threshold, Cousin Kate, Goblin Market, Jessie Cameron, Winter:My secret ) and Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

We have an exam coming up and I am not as confient as I would like to be, the exam board is AQA. There is a section A in which you choose a question and answer parts a) and b) to it. Both are worth 21 marks and you have a reccommended time of 30mins to sepnd on each of them. This forms a combined 42 marks in an hours time.

And there is a section B in which you choose a question, it is worth 42 marks and you are recommended to spend 1 hour on it.

What I would like help on is, how do I answer these questions? What do I include in each of these questions? Which A0's do I ahve to include, and what do each of the A0's require a candidate to include and talk about?

Furthermore, any resourcse on the analysis and/or aspects of narrative on the texts mentioned above would be of monumental help. I understand I am asking for a very sophisticated answer, however it would help a lot in preparation for the exam.

Look at this thread 'AQA- English Literature at AS Level, Literature B' it will help you very much! We were all having the same problems but we've all helped each other out :smile:
Reply 22
Can anyone tell me how to compare two novels on A2 english literature exam
Reply 23
Hi was wondering if anyone knew the questions for the AQA eng lit b january 2011 questions for sect a on macbeth/dr faustus/paradise lost and also section b? Any help would be much appreciated thanks :smile:
Anyone got any sample answers for AQA English Lit A "Victorian Literature" exam questions..? I've never seen one so I have no idea what my exam answer is meant to look like!
Well I’ve missed a lot of lessons this year, and I’m not where I’m supposed to be in English lit: / The exam is on the 23rd of May, Im doing AQA English Lit B1. We have studied The great Gatsby, The kite runner, Rossetti Poems and The rime of the ancient Mariner. I feel most confident with the kite runner so that’s the one I am planning on doing for question A. However I would really appreciate if someone could help by explaining what I have to write in Section A part (a) and part (b). Some top grade examples would be even more helpful. Similarly with section B. However most importantly, I would need some resources which are what I’m really lacking on atm. Any resources on the aspects of narrative for the great Gatsby and The kite Runner and any interpretations and analysis of any Rossetti poems or the Kite runner would again be greatly appreciated. I will provide my email address for anyone that is wanting to help by sending any resources over. Hopefully others will also benefit from any of the resources provided.
Hi I have my GCSE English Language Paper 1 Specification A exam on monday and i'm looking for some past papers, i've been on the AQA website but all they give is the mark shemes and not the actual question papers. If you could post a link with the question papers that would be amazing, thanks! :smile:
Any advice for A2 English Language and Literature (AQA)?
Reply 28
Original post by confusedandabused
I've noticed no one mentioning the Cambridge International Examination board, for English literature examinations. If anyone has any information on the past papers, it owuld be much appreciated if you could post a link. :smile: The AS is made up of short stories for Prose and an anthology, along with 2 dramas. Equus and The importance of being Ernest. Thanks in advance.

Hi! i'm doing those papers too! in fact i just finished the drama paper today... anyway if you still need a site, xtremepapers.net is fantastic. :smile:
Don't suppose anybody has any model answers for poetry questions? Id like to adapt the writing technique, so I know how to plan out my essay etc! Would be very much appreciated :smile:
Hi
Duz any 1 have any modal/example answers of AS English language?
I really need to know how to answer it. A grade A example would be preferable.
Also if anyones got the A2 one that wud be gr8 as well. :smile:
Charlotte
Okay so I read that some WJEC board students didn't know the grade boundaries for English Language AS/A-level.

As far as I know I think i found the grade boundaries for this year anyway, http://www.wjec.co.uk/uploads/publications/8146.pdf

Check page 27 on the pdf!

Good luck all for tomorrow! :smile:
Reply 32
Hi, i'm re-taking AQA B, AS English Literature
The texts/poets I studied for the exam were:
The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy
The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
Thomas Hardy
Robert Browning

^ Have you got any model answers? For section A of the paper I am definitly answering the question on 'The God of Small Things'
I did many past papers which my teacher marked - but still did not do very well in the examination. So I thought looking at some model answers might help. Thankyou! :smile:
Reply 33
It would be a gr8 help if sumbdy cld tel me whr to find de pastpapers for english language and literature AS,with de mark scheme available:confused:
Which exam board are you using? AQA have a selection of past papers on their website: http://web.aqa.org.uk/
Reply 35
I'm doin de edexcel stuff
Original post by Savi
I'm doin de edexcel stuff

It looks like there are some edexcel past papers here: http://www.edexcel.com/i-am-a/student/Pages/pastpapers.aspx
Reply 37
it wz rlly gr8 n thankz alt 4r u help lol :smile:
Reply 38
Hi.Would anybody be able to post a model answer for a2 english language exam both child language and developing language.And if possible as communication and culture model answers for that exam.I have recently left college but I'm resiting exams in january but I don't have any material so if anyone can help I'd be very grateful.Thankyou x
Hey guys,
do any of you have AQA As English Language Spec A June 2011 paper?

Cant find it anywhere :frown: and quite keen to see what came up last year to be prepared for my summer exam.
If you have a copy, please attach either to this thread or msg me!
General help welcome.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest