The Student Room Group

AS and A-Level English literature and language resource thread

Scroll to see replies

It would have been more useful to write what you needed, rather than something so generic as "urgent help"
^^ sorry my bad.
just maybe someone will pop up this way?
Reply 42
Hey all,

I'm trying my damndest to find A2 Module 2 papers for CCEA English Literature ("The Study of Prose: Theme-Based") but I can't find a single one anywhere. Does anyone have any idea where I might find them?
I have my AQA English Literature AS Paper on Wednesday, does anyone know how I can find out what the Thomas Hardy questions were for the June 2011 and January 2012 exams? The papers are available for purchase on the AQA website but unfortunately they require a £15 postage fee for next day delivery (I cannot justify spending £19 - £2 for each paper plus delivery) or it will take up to 10 working days for standard delivery.

It is my own fault for not looking earlier as I would have done the standard delivery.

Can anyone help?
Reply 44
Can anyone tell me what exam board I was on if we focussed on Gothic themes in Macbeth, Wuthering Heights and The Bloody Chamber? This is English Literature obviously.

I also need some past papers on this if anyone's got any available and if anyone has any notes that could be helpful to me?

Thanks.
Reply 45
I am currently doing A2 English Lit - studying the Bloody Chamber, Wuthering Heights and the Pardoner's Tale.

I just dug up some old notes of Great Gatsby, let me know if anyone doing AS wants them.

Am v open to discussion, posting/sharing notes about my A2 texts, would be extremely grateful if someone could give me anything about the Pardoner's Tale as I am really struggling on this. I have some real in depth analysis on WH and the Bloody Chamber which I can exchange in return :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by tsveta
I am currently doing A2 English Lit - studying the Bloody Chamber, Wuthering Heights and the Pardoner's Tale.

I just dug up some old notes of Great Gatsby, let me know if anyone doing AS wants them.

Am v open to discussion, posting/sharing notes about my A2 texts, would be extremely grateful if someone could give me anything about the Pardoner's Tale as I am really struggling on this. I have some real in depth analysis on WH and the Bloody Chamber which I can exchange in return :smile:

What exam board is that on? It's the same as mine, but I forgot what it is haha.

Also, I haven't got any notes on Pardoner's Tale, as I did Macbeth, but I would love to see these in-depth analysis on BC and WH? I don't have any in return, but I haven't done it since last year since I took a gap year and am doing retakes :colondollar: please? I'll even buy you a beer if I pass! :beer:
Reply 47
Original post by Tedaus
What exam board is that on? It's the same as mine, but I forgot what it is haha.

Also, I haven't got any notes on Pardoner's Tale, as I did Macbeth, but I would love to see these in-depth analysis on BC and WH? I don't have any in return, but I haven't done it since last year since I took a gap year and am doing retakes :colondollar: please? I'll even buy you a beer if I pass! :beer:

Erm AQA I think!

Yeah course, can you send me a PM to remind me and I will message them to you over the weekend? Haha no worries! Always here to help!
Reply 48
Original post by countduckula1906
Hi,
Can anyone give me a more detailed explanation of what Lexis and semantics are, specifically, semantics. I know Lexis is the vocabulary and semantics is the meaning of words but can anyone go into more detail as I am getting stuck when I am supposed to comment on the semantics and the Lexis when writing an essay. What and how would I comment on it(examples would be great)? And also is a lexical field and a semantic field the same thing? A quick explanation and example of pragmatics would also be great.

many thanks,
nate.

Lexis = word choice.
Semantic field is a bit more complicated, it's sort of like a sentence. For example, "the chill damp of this place creeps into the stones, into your bones, into the spongy pith of your lungs". This is a negative semantic field, reinforced through lexical choice of body organs.

Sorry if that is a really bad explanation, hope this helps somewhat lol x
Reply 49
Does anybody know what the questions were for the AQA English Literature AS for Jan 2012? They aren't on the website yet and it would help so much to have them.

Specifically the questions for:

Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Coleridge
Enduring Love by McEwan
Selected poetry by Rossetti

Thanks,
Hello, could anyone help me with resources for Persuasion by Jane Austen, really struggling on how to write an essay for the exam, could really do with some help
Can anyone help me with one of their own essays on how to comment on the language and style of a passage?
Hi,
I'm resitting my AS English Literature. Does anyone know where I can find past papers for this. I'm focusing on Struggle For Identity if that helps.
They usually have them on the exam board website. They sometimes charge for more recent papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by study4life
I'm doing the AS edexcel english lit exam in january, and my essay writing is AWFUL :frown: . Does anyone have any model exam answers to follow. Also, I really need any resources on the text i'm studying, which are:
The Great Gatsby
The Kite Runner
Hardy's poems
Tennyson's poems
Any help would be really appreciated :biggrin:

I am studying Gatsby and Kite Runner too, though we have now moved on for coursework to Much ado and Earnest. I have found that York Notes have examples of essays which were graded and included inside the book to be of great use. You can buy them on Amazon or any good retailer.
Reply 55
I have the english lit and lang aqa anthology re-sit coming up in two weeks and i am struggling to find some good resources! :mad:
Does anybody have and tips on how to get an A/B in the exam, a sample essay or even just some notes?

Help would be much appreciated :biggrin: Thanks :smile:
Hi guys, Im new here so am hoping I am doing this correctly.
I am studying English Language AS and am currently completing my 'scripted presentation' coursework.
Would anyone have any model essays, PARTICULARLY the commentary, of which I am struggling with more.

Thanks guys!
Reply 57
I am currently doing a AS coursework piece to entertain. I have chosen to do a short story - however i just did it at the top of my head. I need to consider a style model to effectively structure it.. not sure what to do. I also have a commentary to discuss how i used this style model when writing. Does anyone have any guidance?
hey guys:smile: i'm studying A-level English literature and i need some help on the books. i have my mock exams in a couple of week but i'm struggling.:confused: i would like to focus on Great Gatsby and Captain Corelli but i need some help on finding comparisons (similarities and differences) between the two. could someone please suggest some ides ?:frown: thanks .
Reply 59
Hey guys please kidnly help me out regardin As level english language i want to know about the sample answers or how to go about writing a diary entry in a good tone.Kindly replyyy :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest