The Student Room Group

AS and A-Level English literature and language resource thread

This thread is intended to be used for anyone to make requests for any resources for AS and A-Level English Literature and/or Language (and related subjects) - including past exam papers, mark schemes, etc. Please keep any requests in this thread; any requests posted elsewhere will be merged into this thread. Please note that in replying to any requests, materials should not be posted as attachments to posts, but instead as links to external hosts.

For requests for resources for other levels and qualifications, please use the following threads:

If you have any suggestions for content to be added into this opening post, please let us know! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
English Language - ENGB3... I think last year's was a new spec, but I think on the old spec, when there were 6 units, it was the last A2 exam... yeah it was Uni 6 - Language Development

So, ENGB3 (Unit 3) Developing Language (new spec)

or,

Unit 6, Language Development (old spec)

QP and MS.

Thank you!!
Reply 2
I'm doing the AS edexcel english lit exam in january, and my essay writing is AWFUL :frown: . Does anyone have any model exam answers to follow. Also, I really need any resources on the text i'm studying, which are:
The Great Gatsby
The Kite Runner
Hardy's poems
Tennyson's poems
Any help would be really appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 3
Heey, im retaking eng AS duffy - the worlds wife.
does anyone have / know where i can get access to exam essay answers at a grade of A-C? Im struggling to revise for it and hope that looking through some past essays will help me gain a idea on how to approach the question and structure my own essay!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Answers would be great. If anyone knows where to get any answers for Duffy's World's Wife, can you let me know?

I want to know how to structure it!
Reply 5
HEEY im totally in the same posistion as you. i cant seem to find examples of duffy essays anywhere!
Reply 6
Original post by Rubecca Ali
HEEY im totally in the same posistion as you. i cant seem to find examples of duffy essays anywhere!

It's a pain! :mad: If I come across any, I'll let you know :smile:
Reply 7
Does anybody have a digital copy of the critical anthology needed to write the essay for Unit 4? URLs would be excellent, please!
Model answers would be super appreciated :smile: !!
If you cant find any essays then just find a mark scheme for the exam board you are doing. This will tell you what the exam boards are looking for in the essay and where you can gain points. Maybe your teacher would be willing to mark an essay for you and give you feedback ?
Reply 10
Not sure if I'm in the right place, sorry if not! I'm currently doing an A2 English Language and Literature course for which my examining board is AQA (ELLA 3). I am completely stuck on comparative analysis and despite numerous contacts with my tutor, the course is distance learning that I take alongside FT work, I have received no extra help or information regarding my queries.

My problem is that, although I can do the question, I can never make it past a B, and I have to get a, very, comfortable A in my summer exam. The comparative analysis part of the exam is worth 45 marks out of the overall 60 so it is imperative I get this right. I've asked my tutor if he could give me examples of A grade work, to which he replied no, and just told me to look at mark schemes. However, I have done these before and, for some reason, I just can't seem to understand what they are asking for!

Is anyone else in the same position, or can anyone offer me help regarding the comparative analysis? I am feeling horribly frustrated with my tutor because he is supposed to be there to help but isn't answering any of my questions :frown:
Original post by torilou10
Not sure if I'm in the right place, sorry if not! I'm currently doing an A2 English Language and Literature course for which my examining board is AQA (ELLA 3). I am completely stuck on comparative analysis and despite numerous contacts with my tutor, the course is distance learning that I take alongside FT work, I have received no extra help or information regarding my queries.

My problem is that, although I can do the question, I can never make it past a B, and I have to get a, very, comfortable A in my summer exam. The comparative analysis part of the exam is worth 45 marks out of the overall 60 so it is imperative I get this right. I've asked my tutor if he could give me examples of A grade work, to which he replied no, and just told me to look at mark schemes. However, I have done these before and, for some reason, I just can't seem to understand what they are asking for!

Is anyone else in the same position, or can anyone offer me help regarding the comparative analysis? I am feeling horribly frustrated with my tutor because he is supposed to be there to help but isn't answering any of my questions :frown:

Hi, could you try another tack with your tutor, if you have the mark scheme in front of you could you ask him where you lost marks for particular parts of the comparasion . If he will give you your mark breakdown then you will know where you where scored highly and where not. Try asking him how you could improve your work . There are some good books that you can buy that tell you how to write comparative essays, they give you examples of what you should be aiming for. Litterature critism and style is one example that you can buy. IHTH.
Does anyone have a copy of the January 2011 paper a few months ago, or has a rough idea of the Gatsby questions asked?

Good luck to everyone doing the summer one on 23rd May!
Reply 13
Has anybody got a GCE English Language B June 2010 Paper?

I need it urgently...plz send to [Removed]

If not got it but sat the paper, can anyone plz tell me what was on it?

many thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm doing AS English Literature:
The Great Gatsby
Enduring love (bleurgh!!)
Tennyson
Rossetti

any tips/help with how to do section B of the exam?!!!!
Reply 15
This is regarding the prose and poetry mock.

For section A I am doing the Robert Frost poems. And for section B the text The Great Gatsby. My mocks are in two days, and I wanted to have a look at the mark schemes. I have part of the mark scheme that is on section A printed out, but I don't have one for section B.

I went to the OCR website to look for the mark scheme for the text The Great Gatsby, but the website's closed down for tomorrow, and I have a feeling I need to look at this today as I need to focus on other mocks tomorrow. I know that the marks are heavily weighed on the A02 for this, but I don't know what other areas I'll need to focus on (AO1, AO3, AO4). I might also need an explanation of the areas. If someone has a mark scheme file for english literature which has all of this and attach it on this thread, I'd be very grateful. Thank you in advance for anyone willing to spend their time to post the mark scheme on this thread.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by creamcake
This is regarding the prose and poetry mock.

For section A I am doing the Robert Frost poems. And for section B the text The Great Gatsby. My mocks are in two days, and I wanted to have a look at the mark schemes. I have part of the mark scheme that is on section A printed out, but I don't have one for section B.

I went to the OCR website to look for the mark scheme for the text The Great Gatsby, but the website's closed down for tomorrow, and I have a feeling I need to look at this today as I need to focus on other mocks tomorrow. I know that the marks are heavily weighed on the A02 for this, but I don't know what other areas I'll need to focus on (AO1, AO3, AO4). I might also need an explanation of the areas. If someone has a mark scheme file for english literature which has all of this and attach it on this thread, I'd be very grateful. Thank you in advance for anyone willing to spend their time to post the mark scheme on this thread.

If you're looking for past papers and their mark schemes try here http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/type/gce/english/lit/documents/index.html :smile:
Reply 17
I didn't realise the OCR website has opened up a day early! :smile:

Everything I need is there, thank you so much!
I've noticed no one mentioning the Cambridge International Examination board, for English literature examinations. If anyone has any information on the past papers, it owuld be much appreciated if you could post a link. :smile: The AS is made up of short stories for Prose and an anthology, along with 2 dramas. Equus and The importance of being Ernest. Thanks in advance.
Could somebody give me a website that has maybe the mark scheme or A grade answers to WJEC AS English Language, section A and B pleasee?

Quick Reply

Latest