Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

AS and A-Level Business and Management resources thread

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank You.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have the markscheme for may/june 2010 unit 1 and 2????? !!!!!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey, does anyone know where I can find the OCR Economcis mark scheme for June 2010? I'm trying to mark the work and leisure paper I just did! Help!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    where can i find ocr as past papers economics AS market failure and etc.
    I've done all the one on ocr website. i cant even find economic questions to do. is there websites where i can do economics questions? ASAP!!!!!!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh, theres this website called freeexampapers.com. Try it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Would anyone happen to have the mark scheme from the Edexcel Business Studies AS Level exam in May 2010 (Developing New Business Ideas). Looked everyone on the net but can't seem to find one, I'd be greatful if you could post it on here. Thanks!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody send me Mark scheme - June 2010 - Unit 3 Business Economics and Economic Efficiency please
    Many thx
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

If anyone has the May 2010 Business Studies mark scheme (Edexcel Unit 1 Developing New Business Ideas) for the AS Level I would be greatful if you could post it on here. Thanks!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have the AQA Economics Unit 1 June 2010 mark scheme? Let me know asap!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    was looking for a business unit 1 definition sheet, does anyone have one could share it with me

many thanks
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    could anyone please give me the edexcel Question paper - January 2010 - Unit 1 Developing New Business Ideas. rep will be given any help will be much appreciated. June 2010 could also be useful.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking everywhere but I can't find it. Can someone pm a link or post up here?

Thanks!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    anyone?!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunil93)
    was looking for a business unit 1 definition sheet, does anyone have one could share it with me

many thanks
    I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I've written up a list of key words and definitions for Unit 1 (AQA)

Spoiler:
    Show
    BUSINESS STUDIES KEY WORDS UNIT 1

Enterprise – The ability to come up with and carry out new ideas and new ways of doing things. It involves making judgements about the risks and rewards of a situation and acting on them.

An Enterprise – A project/undertaking that involves difficulty or risk and requires effort or courage.

Entrepreneur – Someone who comes up with a business idea develops it and starts their own business. They are responsible for the risks involved and have to manage the 4 factors of production.

Entrepreneurship – Development of new business enterprises. It involves idea generation, organisation and risk taking.

Opportunity Cost – The cost of the next best alternative.

Risk – The possibility of an event or condition occurring that will have a negative or harmful impact on something perceived to be of value.

Reward – The expected return which is either financial or other based on the risk taken.

Business Plan – A carefully drafted report about a business in terms of its assets, sources of finance, competition, i.e. everything that might determine its success (or failure).

Patent – An exclusive right to make use of an invention commercially in return for disclosing it and as long as you pay fees.

Trademark – A sign which can distinguish your goods and services from those of other traders. Protects brand identity.

Copyright – Protects sound recordings, artistic, musical and literary works. It is an automatic right which you do not need to pay for.

Franchise – A business structure in which the owner of a business idea (the franchisor) sells the right to use that idea to another person (the franchisee), usually in return for an initial fee and a share in any profit made.

Niche Product – A product the appeals to a small sub-segment of the buying population

Niche Market – A small group of customers sharing a common characteristic. These often develop as a subset of mass market.

Primary Sector – Part of the economy where raw materials are extracted. The raw materials are then used to produce goods or for services. E.g. agriculture, mining, fishing.

Secondary Sector – Sector of industry where goods are produced. E.g. steel bars, paper, and cars.

Tertiary Sector – (Service sector) providing a service. E.g. hotels, financial services, defence, army, police

Quaternary Sector – Hi-Tech industries, training, health and education.

Adding Value – In financial terms: difference between the selling price and cost of raw materials/manufacturing.
    For the customer: benefit gained from not having to produce something/do something for oneself. – make bread, cut hair, etc.

Market Research – The collection and analysis of market information such as customer likes/dislikes, competitor activity or distribution channels. It reduces the risk of making a mistake.

Sample – Selecting a number of people that represent the market.

Primary Research – The process of gathering information directly from people within your target market.

Secondary Research – Involves gathering and analysing data which had already been gathered.

Industrial markets – The market for manufactured goods aimed at other businesses (engineering, construction, factories)

Consumer markets – The market for goods and services that are sold to households (clothing, holidays)

Commodity market – Market for primary products or raw materials (steel, coal)

Financial markets – The market for services dealing with money (banking, insurance, accounting)

Physical markets – Place where buyers and sellers actually meet (shop, garage, business offices.) The product can be seen.

Non physical (electronic) market – Marketplace that takes advantage of the opportunities presented by modern technology.

Market Segmentation – This refers to the classification of customers or potential customers into groups or sub-groups, each of which responds differently to various products or marketing approaches.

Market Mapping – Technique that uses market segmentation to look at the features that distinguish different products or firms.

Market Growth – The percentage change in sales (volume or value) over a period of time.

Market Share – The percentage or proportion of the total sales of a product or service achieved by a firm or brand.

Market – A place where buyers (or suppliers) and sellers (or demanders) get together to exchange products or services.

Demand – The desire to purchase a product. It must be backed up by ability and willingness to purchase it.

Capital Expenditure – money spent on purchasing fixed assets such as buildings, machinery and vehicles. Capital expenditure adds to the value of the company.

Revenue Expenditure – money used to help generate sales such as stock, purchases, wages and so on. Revenue expenditure does not add fixed value to the company.

Share Capital – Asking an investor to put money into the business in return for a share of the business.

Profit – The surplus of the value of sales made by a business over its total costs of production.

Sales Revenue – Income or earnings over a period of time.

Break even point – The level of output at which a firms costs and revenues are equal so that no profit is made.

Break Even Chart – A graph which shows total costs, total revenues and break even point.

Contribution – The surplus made after all variable costs have been paid for from sales revenue.

Margin Of Safety – The difference between the quantity sold and the break-even level of output.

Cash flows – The amount of cash held is never constant – it changes with the payments made and received.

Debtors – The customers that owe the firm money.

Creditors – People who the business owes money to.

Cash Flow Forecast – An estimation of a firm’s future cash receipts and expenses.

Liquidity – The ability to quickly and easily convert assets (current) into cash without incurring a significant loss/delay. Measures how easy it is for a business to pay its debts quickly.

Budget – A financial plan for the future, prepared and agreed in advance, which shows the expected revenue and costs of a firm over a given period of time.

Expenditure Budget – A limit of what you can spend in separate departments over a period of time.

Income Budget – The sales revenue target for either individual departments or the organisation as a whole.

Profit Budget – The target profit for a business.

Hope this helps
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know where i can find the aqa economics unit 1 june 2010 paper?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, go on the link below:

http://www.pdf-finder.com/pdf/aqa-ec...june-2010.html

This is all I could find, hope it helps.
    P.S - Google it as well.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have Edexcel Econ unit 1 June 2010 paper?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey I was wondering does anyone have the question papers for Edexcel May/June 2010 Business Studies?
    Unit 1 and 2 are the ones I need!
    Can someone please upload them!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nvm I found
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    For OCR.

Does anybody have it? It's not on the school website - I was hoping that somebody could give it to me if they had it i.e. they'd been given it by a teacher. I'd be very, very grateful.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 12, 2014
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.