The Student Room Group

King's EMDP 2010/2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Legit
It was about nurses, we spent 10 minutes arguing over one thing lol

I hope you didn't offend nurses, and that she wasn't a nurse lol.
I read somewhere on last years emdp forum..someone said something negative about nurses and the interviewer was like " Oh really, I'm a nurse"

Then again if she was smart, she'd see you're smart, young, with opinions and that's what matters- changing them is not difficult as long as you're open minded- and open mindedness and intelligence usually positively correlate.
Reply 1841
Original post by Exhausteveryroute
I hope you didn't offend nurses, and that she wasn't a nurse lol.
I read somewhere on last years emdp forum..someone said something negative about nurses and the interviewer was like " Oh really, I'm a nurse"

Then again if she was smart, she'd see you're smart, young, with opinions and that's what matters- changing them is not difficult as long as you're open minded- and open mindedness and intelligence usually positively correlate.

She was wrong, I didnt offend nurses :smile:
Original post by pri_123
I think I did really bad now I have no where to go to. This sucks!!!!

Think positively. If it makes you feel better I know I messed up a few times during interview too. And there are many other routes into medicine if you want it enough. Have you considered doing a nursing degree and then reapplying- a few of my friends who are studying medicine say they have quite a number of nurses on the course.

:smile:
Original post by Legit
She was wrong, I didnt offend nurses :smile:

lol I REALLY want to know what you argued about? Care to share the details..?
Reply 1844
Original post by kingsmod1
i check all the Qs cafrefully and all that and i still scrwe up

Original post by kingsmod1
i tried so much for biology but i suck guys...
can some1 help me

i understand it all and do practice Qs but the way i answer Qs it is just not precise enough...

basically in the exam i screw it up for biology...

Hey, u should relate back to the question at the end of your answer, also in the beginning explain what they have said in the question so in case of osmosis explain what that is breifly. :smile:
Original post by Mobs25
I agree to some extent... the reason why i asked if you got an interview was bcos i did and if u did it would b nice 2 cya at kings... the people i've heard about who have got into EMDP and pp who wer at the interview... people have described them as being idiots and not so clever etc... and what annoys me the most is that if these people do get into this course and i do too then i will b made to sit and learn with them.. ive gone through high school with retards literally getting 3/46 in exams... even tho it would b a class i would b top in and get higher grades..but ther will b no challenge... my A2 level classes are full of clever pp who are my competition and its great cos it allows us all to learn more and be more motivated... i love kings but the fact this course is not looking at the grades too much is kinda worrying... my jan 2011 exam results came as As and i am so happy... unfortuntely the only med school i might hve is kings as keele still hvnt sent anything (:angry:) so if i get into kings and i have AAA*b at the end of this year... i dont knw if i would want to waste it... i dont knw... i love kings and i like this course its just the fact i might b with idiots is a bit of a turn off... im sorry 2 hear u didnt get an interview... gd luck wer ever u go. :smile:

BTW pp who have been interviewed for EMDP please do not take it personally... im sure im not talking about most of the applicants... i would not b applying to this course or uni if i thought it was for idiots... im basing my view on what MBBS (5Y) med students told me and how they saw the EMDP students... im sure if we do get in we will make a change and show pp EMDP students are as clever as th 5y students, i knw i will!

Thank you for your supportive comments, I really appreciate them :biggrin:
I would have enjoyed seeing you there too! I can't imagine what it must be like to receive an interview from such an amazing med school! I can't help feeling annoyed when I see people on this thread complaining about their interviews, or that they've done no preparation. An interview from King's is an honour, a privilege and not something to take for granted. :smile:

I understand what you mean, and it can be very off-putting to see substandard applicants being given places when you yourself have put in so much work. I know that King's intend to pick the best people for EMDP, whom they feel will definitely match the standards of the 5-year students, but I'm still struggling to understand where they see this comparison in students who really can't be arsed. For those students who have been given interviews with low grades and who display very little passion/motivation for medicine, it appears as if they're able to get in on their school's reputation alone. Almost like an excuse - these students went to bad schools, got bad grades (hence not experiencing hard work, which you will do as a doctor) and have displayed no motivation, so they should be given the chance to study medicine? Where is the sense in that? :s-smilie:

I see where you're coming from: most of my life I've worked with students who really don't want to go anywhere in their lives, but for those of us with dedication, we pull through eventually. The thing is, once you start a medicine degree, you're essentially not competing for those 5-6 years (until it comes to MTAS applications). All you need to think about is your own performance, and not what anyone else is doing, because you've already beaten the competition and been selected by one of the best med schools in the world. :smile:
They've chosen you, so if some students are not doing what they need to do (to show King's that they made the right choice), then let them fail :wink: . Those students are only letting themselves down.

And also, poorly-performing students are more likely to drop out or be removed from a medicine degree. Universities have more power to kick someone out if they're becoming a disturbance. It's not like secondary school, where teachers must keep students (even if they're maniacs!), because they have to be given equal opportunities for learning. At university, if you don't work, you fail. And if you fail consistently, you lose out! :wink:

Your interview went ok then? I wish you all the best for the future :smile:
5 pages later..
the discussion died so i wont put my 2 pence in :P

but competition wise from what ive personally gathered what seems to be the deciding factor (in my schools case anyways). theres 4 of us in my chem class that applied to emdp and 2 of them have interviews and the rest of us dont. and between us, interviewee 1 has decent grades which are in a whole better than mine, but interviewee 2 has worse grades than me (theyve got CCcd, i have BDab) and less work experience and they dont even know if they want to do medicine... so why have they got an interview over me who wants this so much more? theye got much better gcses than me
Reply 1847
i know how u feel :wink:
Reply 1848
it seems last year...offers started to be given out on the 16th of march and rejections the 15th...hope it comes that early this year. Cant stand waiting.
Reply 1849
Original post by Aiboz
Yes I was. Not in a bad way at all though!! Because I've seen you around before we even talked on the BM6 thread, and you was really dedicated and passionate about Medicine. You deserved that interview and I also think you fully well deserved an offer from BM6, because after all its a widening access programme that extra year is built to strengthen you and ease you into medical education. It was your first interview for a medicine course, right? So perhaps it was just more practice was required, in answering the type of questions or structuring your answers.

Maybe I badly lacked in the PS area of my application and thats why I didn't secure an interview. You on the other hand lacked on the academics but you must have excelled your PS. If they are looking at the application as a whole, then it don't make sense. In theory, we should both have interviews.

I hope you haven't taken me the wrong way and you can tell where I'm coming from. All I am saying is that there are other applicants who haven't even had the chance to prove themselves. Their whole application procedure is just wrong; I totally agree with the person who said that stuff about the BM6 (in your PM).

lol yeah know, I'm not offended.
Reply 1850
Original post by Craydot
it seems last year...offers started to be given out on the 16th of march and rejections the 15th...hope it comes that early this year. Cant stand waiting.

There interviews were in mid feb.
Reply 1851
Original post by asif007
Thank you for your supportive comments, I really appreciate them :biggrin:
I would have enjoyed seeing you there too! I can't imagine what it must be like to receive an interview from such an amazing med school! I can't help feeling annoyed when I see people on this thread complaining about their interviews, or that they've done no prep.........

Your interview went ok then? I wish you all the best for the future :smile:

Well put!
I agree with you and i hope your right about some people being kicked out if they don't work hard.

My interview was good... I prepared since i had got the invite... i read articles, read about recent Kings involvement in research (ie. leukaemia stem cell research), i got in contact with 3 med students who are in kings MBBS course and are in there 4th year.. very inspiring people... i had like 3/4 mock interviews and did loads of ethical research...
it turned out i didn't have to do much... the interview was not as i had hoped.
The first and third interviewers were sweet and laughed with me and smiled and i got a real good vib from them. then there where 2 senior docs (i think) they didn't crack a smile throughout the interview except the start and end... one of the interviewers sept literally 1 min just staring at me to see if i would change my answer.. i just kept smiling at him :P hehe.

Overall the interview was good... i think i made a good impression. I hope i get in, Kings is in the top 10 and i would b so happy and honoured to go there!

Anyways, what about you? What other uni's did you apply for?
Good Luck !! :smile:
If I get an offer from kings Ill be so Happy! I would stop looking at alternative degrees!
Original post by Mobs25
Well put!
I agree with you and i hope your right about some people being kicked out if they don't work hard.

My interview was good... I prepared since i had got the invite... i read articles, read about recent Kings involvement in research (ie. leukaemia stem cell research), i got in contact with 3 med students who are in kings MBBS course and are in there 4th year.. very inspiring people... i had like 3/4 mock interviews and did loads of ethical research...
it turned out i didn't have to do much... the interview was not as i had hoped.
The first and third interviewers were sweet and laughed with me and smiled and i got a real good vib from them. then there where 2 senior docs (i think) they didn't crack a smile throughout the interview except the start and end... one of the interviewers sept literally 1 min just staring at me to see if i would change my answer.. i just kept smiling at him :P hehe.

Overall the interview was good... i think i made a good impression. I hope i get in, Kings is in the top 10 and i would b so happy and honoured to go there!

Anyways, what about you? What other uni's did you apply for?
Good Luck !! :smile:

I prepared so far in advance, and so hard to I literally read the GMC's ethical guidelines...and did plenty of mock interviews. I felt disappointed that alot fo what I had studied came in no use at the interview.However I was still so nervous, I hope they don't mark us down for nerves? Do you think they might?
Original post by bomtay108
If I get an offer from kings Ill be so Happy! I would stop looking at alternative degrees!

Same.........
I'm preparing myself for the worst though. I know there are a lot of strong candidates I was competing against- and even if I feel the interview went well I can't be sure of HOW well others did. Everyone seems to be saying the interview went well...that really worries me.
Reply 1855
I prepared so far in advance, and so hard to I literally read the GMC's ethical guidelines...and did plenty of mock interviews. I felt disappointed that alot fo what I had studied came in no use at the interview.However I was still so nervous, I hope they don't mark us down for nerves? Do you think they might?

loool same! the GMC and the GMP loool i mentioned it when i was asked about the ethical article i said 'the GMC (General medical council) have set out 4 main ethical principals all doctors must comply by, this is the principals im going to use to answer this question.' he seemed impressed and wen i got to justice he was smiling and was very interested in wot i had 2 say... kinda made me very happy so i kept talking bout justice at the end :P loooool

When did u have ur interview/time?
Original post by Mobs25
loool same! the GMC and the GMP loool i mentioned it when i was asked about the ethical article i said 'the GMC (General medical council) have set out 4 main ethical principals all doctors must comply by, this is the principals im going to use to answer this question.' he seemed impressed and wen i got to justice he was smiling and was very interested in wot i had 2 say... kinda made me very happy so i kept talking bout justice at the end :P loooool

When did u have ur interview/time?

Oh wow you must have done so well- I didn't mention that at all.
She seemed happy with what I did say.
But compared to you..
:frown:...
I'm feeling my chances of getting an offer slip lower and lower.
Wednesday 11:20- girl in the black suit- greyish mac style coat.
GMP < was so long! My dad was like printed enough? And I was like still got ethical guidelines left LOL
Reply 1858
Think positively. If it makes you feel better I know I messed up a few times during interview too. And there are many other routes into medicine if you want it enough. Have you considered doing a nursing degree and then reapplying- a few of my friends who are studying medicine say they have quite a number of nurses on the course.

:smile:

Thanks but i want to do medicine :smile: ( reallyyyy baaaddly lol)
Ahh crap i knew about this autonomy etc I never mentioned it crap! My interview went bad even though they helped! I stopped halfway as i got so nervous! Kept stuttering! Man i was the worst experience!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending