The Student Room Group

Newcastle Medicine Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

What actually is the main difference between durham and newcastle - I know durham just has a smaller cohort and newcastle is much larger - but other then that what are the main differences?
Reply 2561
Original post by Hyperbole08
What actually is the main difference between durham and newcastle - I know durham just has a smaller cohort and newcastle is much larger - but other then that what are the main differences?

The Durham 2 years are taught in Stockon which isn't the nicest of areas, etc.

It's mainly a difference in location. The courses are broadly the same afaik.
Reply 2562
Hi guys, i'm a bit worried..i know i do know the language quite well cause i've managed to do well in my interview but still i'm worried for the language, i mean for the exams and if i'll be able to understand everything about the lectures and when i have to talk to the patients...i know newcastle is an international university so there must have been lots of people in my situation, i would appreciate it if you had some advice for me, thankssss
Original post by nicka320
Hi guys, i'm a bit worried..i know i do know the language quite well cause i've managed to do well in my interview but still i'm worried for the language, i mean for the exams and if i'll be able to understand everything about the lectures and when i have to talk to the patients...i know newcastle is an international university so there must have been lots of people in my situation, i would appreciate it if you had some advice for me, thankssss

To be honest, the best way to learn a language is to immerse yourself in it. Your english seems pretty good already and you obviously have it to a high enough standard that the uni don't think you'll struggle! Maybe you'll find the first month or so harder than normal but I'm sure you'll have it sorted in now time :smile:
Reply 2564
Original post by RyuHADOUKEN
To be honest, the best way to learn a language is to immerse yourself in it. Your english seems pretty good already and you obviously have it to a high enough standard that the uni don't think you'll struggle! Maybe you'll find the first month or so harder than normal but I'm sure you'll have it sorted in now time :smile:

thank you for encouraging me :smile:
Reply 2565
hi guys,

I am a year 12 student wanting to apply for 2012 medicine...

I want to apply to newcastle so much, but i have problem, I just wanted to know if they had an entry criteria for the 4th AS??
I rang them, but some chinese woman attended the call, and didint really answer my question, she didnt even know.....Im quite baffled, and a little ditressed...

can someone plz help....thanks guys...:smile:
Original post by taunt
hi guys,

I am a year 12 student wanting to apply for 2012 medicine...

I want to apply to newcastle so much, but i have problem, I just wanted to know if they had an entry criteria for the 4th AS??
I rang them, but some chinese woman attended the call, and didint really answer my question, she didnt even know.....Im quite baffled, and a little ditressed...

can someone plz help....thanks guys...:smile:

i don't actually think they do. possibly wrong about that tho!
Reply 2567
Original post by Zoelouise302
i don't actually think they do. possibly wrong about that tho!

hi, thanks for reply:smile:

i as just wondering how you know that lol, u see ive tried so much to find out, but its just not happening lol
Original post by taunt
hi, thanks for reply:smile:

i as just wondering how you know that lol, u see ive tried so much to find out, but its just not happening lol

well on the website it just says three As at A level. and i am a current offer holder and my fourth AS is not certificated (although I've completed it) but my offer is not conditional on that AS just on my 3 full A levels.

so that was my conclusion :smile:

btw i did not mean for this to sound sarcastic in anyway!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2569
well on the website it just says three As at A level. and i am a current offer holder and my fourth AS is not certificated (although I've completed it) but my offer is not conditional on that AS just on my 3 full A levels.

so that was my conclusion :smile:

btw i did not mean for this to sound sarcastic in anyway!

oh no its fine lol:smile:

i dont get it lol, im a bit dopey when it comes to these stuff, so basically your AS is not certified, meaning? I dont get it.... what grade have you acheived then for your 4th AS for the medicine application? (if you dont mind me asking)
Original post by taunt
oh no its fine lol:smile:

i dont get it lol, im a bit dopey when it comes to these stuff, so basically your AS is not certified, meaning? I dont get it.... what grade have you acheived then for your 4th AS for the medicine application? (if you dont mind me asking)

as it was further maths my college don't "cash it in" with the exam board till this year so i don't have a certificate proving I have completed it. So from all the uni's points of view I have not completed it. It went it as grade pending on my application form.

The other unis I applied to that specified the need for a fourth AS have all included this as a part of my conditional offer but Newcastle haven't, leading me to believe they don't want it. And I believe it is an A although it could be a B.

Having said all this can I ask why you're asking? :P
Reply 2571
as it was further maths my college don't "cash it in" with the exam board till this year so i don't have a certificate proving I have completed it. So from all the uni's points of view I have not completed it. It went it as grade pending on my application form.

The other unis I applied to that specified the need for a fourth AS have all included this as a part of my conditional offer but Newcastle haven't, leading me to believe they don't want it. And I believe it is an A although it could be a B.

Having said all this can I ask why you're asking? :P

sure :smile: because I have done an applied subject..which i dont think they will accept....also i will probs get a C on it, so thats the reason why I am asking lol i dont want to be applying to a uni who wont accept the C grade.

Newcastle Medic Pre-freshers Facebook Group! :smile:
Anymore for anymore guys? We don't bite (unless you're into that kinda stuff...)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_192477324118260&ap=1
Why Newcastle?
please give your best reasons.
Reply 2574
Original post by Limesasquatch
Why Newcastle?
please give your best reasons.

Free drinks on Fridays? :wink:

Apart from that, I really like the course structure at Newcastle, seemed a lot better than some of the others I applied to/considered. I didn't get an offer from Nottingham where I was set on, but even if I did after visiting Newcastle and doing some in depth research of the course I think I would firmed Newcastle anyway
Reply 2575
Original post by Stirlo
I didn't get an offer from Nottingham where I was set on, but even if I did after visiting Newcastle and doing some in depth research of the course I think I would firmed Newcastle anyway

Good choice imo :wink:
Original post by Stirlo
Free drinks on Fridays? :wink:

Apart from that, I really like the course structure at Newcastle, seemed a lot better than some of the others I applied to/considered. I didn't get an offer from Nottingham where I was set on, but even if I did after visiting Newcastle and doing some in depth research of the course I think I would firmed Newcastle anyway

Ill make sure I put that in my P.S.
Wikipedia seems to be the only source of teaching methods. By the sounds of things you were a successful Newcastle applicant this year. Could you provide me with some info about the teaching, as wiki says "its a modern intergrated systems based approach" which doesn't tell me much :frown:
Original post by Limesasquatch
Ill make sure I put that in my P.S.
Wikipedia seems to be the only source of teaching methods. By the sounds of things you were a successful Newcastle applicant this year. Could you provide me with some info about the teaching, as wiki says "its a modern intergrated systems based approach" which doesn't tell me much :frown:

It basically means lecture based, but not overtly "sciencey". In the first year your modules are:

Life Cycle (interesting)

Nutrition, Metabolism and Endocrinology (difficult)

Cardiovascular, Respiratory and Renal Medicine (interesting)

Clinical Sciences and Investigative Medicine (interesting except pharma)

Medicine in the Community (you'll stop turning up to these after 3 weeks)

Personal and Professional Development (ditto)

Second year:

Thoughts, Senses and Movement (most peoples favourite module)

Life Cycle

Clinical Sciences and Investigative Medicine

Medicine in the Community

Personal and Professional Development

It's mostly lecture based, with a lot of supporting seminars where you work in a group of about 15-20 going over stuff you've covered in lectures. These can range from simple talks about various systems to ethical debates, from sociological and philosophical discussions to just having a chat.

You also have Clinical Skills frequently where you learn CPR, Chest exams (Resp and Cardio), Abdo exams, Neuro exams of the limbs, Cranial nerve exams, history taking, Otoscopy, Fundoscopy, Venesection and other skills you'll need when you start in hospital.

There are also frequent dissection sessions where you learn the anatomy that's already been covered in lectures. It's seriously worth learning it when you're looking at a cadaver, diagrams are useless for learning anatomy in my experience, you get given cadaver photos to label in the exams, so learn from them.

On top of lectures, seminars, clin skills and dissections, you have a couple of GP and Hospital visits where you practice history taking and generally get an idea of patient interaction. You'll also be visiting a pregnant mother in your first year, and a chronically ill person in your second year when you do your Family and Patient studies respectively. You'll probably see them quite a few times and it's a nice change of scenery getting to sit in someones living room chatting to them.

There are 4 pieces of coursework in first year, and 2 in the second year. The Family Study's the tricky one in first year because it takes a lot of time and investment to write up, and both the second year assignments are the same.

One of them is an student selected component (SSC), where you can write a review on a topic of your choosing basically. For example mine this year was on "The use of Arsenic Trioxide in the treatment of Acute Promyelocytic Leukaemia". It takes a lot of time to read the literature but if you pick a topic that interests you then it's a really enjoyable piece of work to do.

There are 3 exams in the first year. You sit an exam in November, one in January and one in June, all multiple choice (but not easy MCQs, trust me). You also have an OSCE, which is an exam testing your Clinical Skills, but it takes real incompetence to fail that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2578
Original post by hoonosewot
x

This post is amazing! You really need to post this in the pros/cons thread or something so applicants in the future have it to look at.
Original post by hoonosewot

There are 3 exams in the first year. You sit an exam in September, one in January and one in June, all multiple choice (but not easy MCQs, trust me). You also have an OSCE, which is an exam testing your Clinical Skills, but it takes real incompetence to fail that.

We have exams in September?! :confused:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending