The Student Room Group

Is it possible to get AAA at Advanced Higher for this 'student'?

[THIS IS THEORETICAL AFTER A DISCUSSION WE WERE HAVING AT SCHOOL ON FRIDAY]

Let's say someone came along, worked hard for their 4th year exams, got straight 1's or A's in English, Maths, a language, Geography or History, and the sciences.

In 5th year, they get all C's in their Highers, in English, Maths and the science subjects because they didn't revise at all during the year, thinking it would be a walk in the park like the previous exams in S4.

What do you think are the chances of them getting AAA or near enough (AAB/ABB/ABC etc) in Advanced Higher IF:

- They worked hard, ie did their homework, listened intently in class
- Revised from the start of school, a few hours each day
- Revised on weekends, giving them one day off per week until exam time?

I reckon it's possible, my friends are split. 4 say it's not possible, 2 others say it is.
I think it's possible. In S5, the person was very complacent and got all C's. It makes sense. If he were to work his/her ass off all year to get even ABB or similar then I don't see why not. He would just need to work extremely hard. AAA is quite steep but with the way that person seems to be studying then it could be pulled off...
Reply 2
You and your friends have some really gripping discussions.
100% Possible. Possible yes, probable no.
Reply 4
Shut It Down
[THIS IS THEORETICAL AFTER A DISCUSSION WE WERE HAVING AT SCHOOL ON FRIDAY]

Let's say someone came along, worked hard for their 4th year exams, got straight 1's or A's in English, Maths, a language, Geography or History, and the sciences.

In 5th year, they get all C's in their Highers, in English, Maths and the science subjects because they didn't revise at all during the year, thinking it would be a walk in the park like the previous exams in S4.

What do you think are the chances of them getting AAA or near enough (AAB/ABB/ABC etc) in Advanced Higher IF:

- They worked hard, ie did their homework, listened intently in class
- Revised from the start of school, a few hours each day
- Revised on weekends, giving them one day off per week until exam time?

I reckon it's possible, my friends are split. 4 say it's not possible, 2 others say it is.

You don't even have to do that do get AAA really. I think it is possible but also a lot depends on the teachers and if they're doing a science, what project they do and how much work they put in to that.
Reply 5
TheKnowledge
I think it's possible. In S5, the person was very complacent and got all C's. It makes sense. If he were to work his/her ass off all year to get even ABB or similar then I don't see why not. He would just need to work extremely hard. AAA is quite steep but with the way that person seems to be studying then it could be pulled off...

Have you done Advanced Highers? I suppose an A is there to achieve- they wouldn't introduce it if it wasn't obtainable right? :yep:
Reply 6
Pedrobear

Thanks, last week it was about Tellytubbies so it balances.
Shut It Down
Have you done Advanced Highers? I suppose an A is there to achieve- they wouldn't introduce it if it wasn't obtainable right? :yep:

Just started them :P but I know a couple of people who have been so complacent in fifth year but managed to get decent Adv Higher grades

And yeah, that's what I mean. Getting an A is possible at advanced higher. Just work, work, work.
Reply 8
TheKnowledge
Just started them :P but I know a couple of people who have been so complacent in fifth year but managed to get decent Adv Higher grades

And yeah, that's what I mean. Getting an A is possible at advanced higher. Just work, work, work.

Ah cool. School started early this year for you too huh?

Cheers, I think I win the discussion haha. Good luck for your AH's. Hope you get AAA :woo: :yep:
Shut It Down
Ah cool. School started early this year for you too huh?

Cheers, I think I win the discussion haha. Good luck for your AH's. Hope you get AAA :woo: :yep:

lol, well I actually go back on Wednesday but I thought I'd just say it because it's right round the corner. :P

And cheers man, you aswell! Or are you doing Highers??
Pedrobear

Haha :biggrin:
Obviously it's possible. In practice, people aren't little ideal pawns and so the likelihood that someone who dossed and got CCCCC at Higher would manage to turn around and manage the workload and revision necessary (the wording of your question precludes the possibility that they might achieve it by dint of 'natural intelligence') to achieve ~AAA at AH is minimal at best.
I'd say it's possible. My highers are fairly mediocre but I bucked up my ideas at university (a pretty good one too, very lucky to get in with my grades) and I've had my fair share of As here. Also, before anyone says, it's not that I'm just good at one course because you have to take three different subjects. That said, unless you just ****** up on the day of the exam teachers wouldn't let you take AH in my school if you had lower than a B at Higher.
It's possible.
Reply 14
It would take a lot of work, but for applying to uni with all C's at higher and predicted A's at advance higher is strange.
star_zone
It would take a lot of work, but for applying to uni with all C's at higher and predicted A's at advance higher is strange.

I doubt most admissions tutors would buy it, or the teachers for that matter. OP, if you're certain you can pull this off you'd probably be best applying next year.
Reply 16
At my school you need +b in higher to go on and do the subject at AH.
TheKnowledge

I can testify in support of this. Even I managed to get an A at Adv Chemistry :biggrin: (B***h of a course)

Latest

Trending

Trending