The Student Room Group

Are my grades good enough a top university?

Hi everyone i really want to know what are my realistic choices for university to study bsc economics. Just want to check if these GCSE and AS results are good enough for the following universities.............

Warick
LSE
UCL
Bristol
City
Nottingham
Surrey

GCSE- 7As and 4Bs ( i know very average to be honest very little revision )

AS results: Maths-A
Economics-A
Business Studies- A
Biology-B

Plans for A2- drop business studies and take up further maths AS and do the extended project

It would be much appreciated please to see your opinions and if i have a realistic chance of getting offers from any of these institutions . Also any suggestions would be great thank you!
Reply 1
They are good grades. You're fine.
you're fine. I got AAAC at AS, and ABB at A2, and I'm going to UCL in September.
Reply 3
Go in the econ thread.

Being realistic, I'd say LSE is a really really long shot and not very likely at all (sorry to be blunt but with all the news stories about people with 6 As not getting any offers, I feel it's important to be very honest). Same with UCL, Bristol, Nottingham - I know the poster above is going to UCL but they're doing a less competitive course (not meant to take away anything from the course at all, it's just a fact that economics is a really competitive course and for unis like LSE, UCL, Warwick you'll need a lot of A*s at gcse, top AS grades in subjects such as Economics, maths, fm, physics, History etc - business studies is not highly regarded, especially when taken with Economics).

Check out paulwhy's threads, they're amazing!
Reply 4
You're fine. I got ABBC at AS and dropped two subjects, picked up one to do the AS and A2 in a year and came out with A*AA and I'm off to Warwick. Just make sure you get good predicted grades for your ucas application and work your backside off to get them.
Ramin Gorji
Hi everyone i really want to know what are my realistic choices for university to study bsc economics. Just want to check if these GCSE and AS results are good enough for the following universities.............

Warick - No.
LSE - No.
UCL - Unlikely.
Bristol - Good enough.
City - Good enough.
Nottingham - Good enough.
Surrey - Good enough.

Economics-A
Business Studies- A
Biology-B

Plans for A2- drop business studies and take up further maths AS and do the extended project

It would be much appreciated please to see your opinions and if i have a realistic chance of getting offers from any of these institutions . Also any suggestions would be great thank you!

My replies are in the quote.
angelmxxx
Go in the econ thread.

Being realistic, I'd say LSE is a really really long shot and not very likely at all (sorry to be blunt but with all the news stories about people with 6 As not getting any offers, I feel it's important to be very honest). Same with UCL, Bristol, Nottingham - I know the poster above is going to UCL but they're doing a less competitive course (not meant to take away anything from the course at all, it's just a fact that economics is a really competitive course and for unis like LSE, UCL, Warwick you'll need a lot of A*s at gcse, top AS grades in subjects such as Economics, maths, fm, physics, History etc - business studies is not highly regarded, especially when taken with Economics).

Check out paulwhy's threads, they're amazing!

Good point - I didn't see the economics bit. I should read more thoroughly.
Reply 7
Absolutely, belivee in yurself a little bit op! UCL and LSE, perhaps not coz your competing a bit more with the rest of the world but give it a go. Oh and go for nottingham!
Yes, but you need to maintain this.
Reply 9
You are dropping buisness studies so you will probably be predicted 2As 1 B for a2. good enough results for bristol and surrey but you will probably need better grades for the elite universities like LSE and UCL. You should drop biology and continue with buisness studies since you will be predicted a higher grade for it and may have a chance at the best universities on your list.
Reply 10
Those are some damn good grades!

Research as much as you can, and try not to sell yourself short. In fact, try to completely oversell yourself. Seeing how competitive things are these days Oxbridge might be (sadly) out of the question, but you could go just about anywhere as long as you kept those grades up.

A word of advice; don't automatically drop one of your AS subjects. You look like you'd be able to handle four. If it really does get too tough and your marks suffer as a result, drop 'em. If not, the extra work will go a long way. If you can, take General Studies as a fifth subject as well. There's literally no work, and the exams are piss-easy (I aced every single one, apart from one where I was marked down for going on a passionate tirade about having my time wasted by General Studies :x). Some top universities will ignore it completely, but others will take it into account if you get an A or A*, or in the case of Lancaster, accept it as an A grade as long as it's presented as a fourth or fifth subject.
MegaPigeon
Those are some damn good grades!

Research as much as you can, and try not to sell yourself short. In fact, try to completely oversell yourself. Seeing how competitive things are these days Oxbridge might be (sadly) out of the question, but you could go just about anywhere as long as you kept those grades up.

A word of advice; don't automatically drop one of your AS subjects. You look like you'd be able to handle four. If it really does get too tough and your marks suffer as a result, drop 'em. If not, the extra work will go a long way. If you can, take General Studies as a fifth subject as well. There's literally no work, and the exams are piss-easy (I aced every single one, apart from one where I was marked down for going on a passionate tirade about having my time wasted by General Studies :x). Some top universities will ignore it completely, but others will take it into account if you get an A or A*, or in the case of Lancaster, accept it as an A grade as long as it's presented as a fourth or fifth subject.

General studies won't be counted for most of the OP's unis.
Having business studies as well as Economics is practically useless for most of them also - firstly there's so much overlap that it's not really seen as a full extra A level, and is also seen as soft (LSE have a published blacklist).
Reply 12
angelmxxx
General studies won't be counted for most of the OP's unis.
Having business studies as well as Economics is practically useless for most of them also - firstly there's so much overlap that it's not really seen as a full extra A level, and is also seen as soft (LSE have a published blacklist).

Of course :rolleyes:

The top schools are certainly a bit elitist, and I wasn't sure about Buisiness' standing with them. But yeah, if it's a soft subject, I'd drop it in favour of keeping the other two at a good standard.
ligouri
You are dropping buisness studies so you will probably be predicted 2As 1 B for a2. good enough results for bristol and surrey but you will probably need better grades for the elite universities like LSE and UCL. You should drop biology and continue with buisness studies since you will be predicted a higher grade for it and may have a chance at the best universities on your list.

See my reply above about business studies.
The OP realistically has very very little chance at LSE, UCL, etc - the guy with 3A*s and 3As who is in all the papers wanted to do Economics.

I know that those grades would be good enough for an application for other subjects at those unis, but for economics it's a very different story. I don't want to be rude but if you don't know about specific Economics applications then posting general advice (which is good advice for a lot of courses, dropping your worst subject is often a good idea) then please check first in the Economics forum or something, because that strategy really wouldn't work for an LSE application. Economics is very very very competitive at top unis - that's why the Economics forum on this website has so many threads with statistics, subject advice, gcse advice, blacklist links, etc...PaulWhy has created several threads, all with very very intricate advice which to be honest probably constitutes a part time job!

I wouldn't want the OP to apply to the top unis on that list only to get 5 instant rejections and have nowhere to go to.
MegaPigeon
Of course :rolleyes:

The top schools are certainly a bit elitist, and I wasn't sure about Buisiness' standing with them. But yeah, if it's a soft subject, I'd drop it in favour of keeping the other two at a good standard.

Sorry, not sure what the :rolleyes: smiley was aimed at? If you don't believe what I've said, please go and read PaulWhy's threads in the Economics forum on this site, and the other threads in that section of the website.

LSE's standard A-Level offer is now A*AA including Maths, with the A* in maths. That gives an indication about the level of applications they receive, and how popular their course is.

"Subjects where the content is deemed to overlap, such as Economics and Business Studies, or English and Media Studies, should not be taken together, and as with all degrees at LSE, traditional subjects are preferred."

"Successful applicants for this course are, usually, predicted AAA in their A level examinations (or 38 and above IB points, with higher level subjects as the above list) and have already achieved excellent GCSE grades including the majority at A and A*. The Economics selectors consider not just the number of top GCSE grades that you have, but also your overall GCSE subject profile."

http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/departmentalAdmissionsCriteria/economics.aspx#What_qualifications_does_LSE_look_for
Reply 15
Ramin Gorji

Warick
LSE
UCL
Bristol
City
Nottingham
Surrey

Economics-A
Business Studies- A
Biology-B

read my sticky threads in this the economics forum. :biggrin:

Good News: you should be ok outside the TAELT top 11 as you have Maths and Economics AS grade A.
Bad News.: by top 11 standards:
Weaknesses
i) No GCSE A*s
ii) Only 4 AS-levels
iii) Business and Economics overlap
iv)No FM

So I suggest you apply:
3/4 unis in TAELT post 2
2/1 unis in TAELT post 1 just so know that you did not under-apply.
Reply 16
No.
Reply 17
Unfortunately I wouldn't fancy your chances for LSE, UCL, Warwick, Bristol or Nottingham.
The top 3 will have lots of people with FM, at least 4 As at AS and a string of A*s, you'd need an amazing PS for UCL and Warwick and LSE is basically not gonna happen.
Bristol is basically almost as hard, because they have so few places, it's literally a third as big as most other departments. Just being an A level student myself, if I could spread any single bit of advice around this forum it would be not to apply to Bristol unless you really love it, because it's so competitive.
As for Nottingham, they have given having less than 7 GCSE A*s as a reason for rejection. When they don't even ask for full maths A level that seems odd but that's how it is, so with none I would expect to be unceremoniously filtered out.

City and Surrey are basically a whole league down from those if I understand correctly. Better unis that you should consider applying to are probably Bath, Exeter, York but check TAELT.

People at average unis for different subjects may say your grades as fine but don't be complacent. Economics is close to medicine, maths and law so for a top uni you need to be very strong. Good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending