The Student Room Group

A and A* students... Share your revision tips

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheGameOfScience
how did you go about memorising 30 essays for psych lol, thats my biggest problem, i just cant force myself to memorise it:frown:

Personally I would read over an essay, and then go through it a paragraph at a time recalling out loud what I could remember, and just keep doing that.
(by this, I mean that this is how I went about learning them).
(edited 10 years ago)
Any tips for a student who is doing accounting and finance first year.
Original post by prettyugly
Memorise the ones that are likely to come up. But do go over notes for the other essays obviously. Once you memorise it's just going over it again and again which is a lot of effort and i'm struggling with this! I've memorised 5 essays got 4 to go but i'm just making sure those 5 are in my head before going on to the next one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

omg lol i was thinking the exact same thing!! but predicting which ones will come up is hard, especially with psychology as they could split the essays into 2 questions:frown: the only way i have been able to memorise is writing it on flash cards and then just repeat over and over until i've learned it, it took me an hour to do this for 1 essay and i cba to memorise the other 500 lol its so boring, i just end up not putting in any effort, thats good that you memorised 5! lol, i barely did 1, but your right i'll try to go over it again and again, thanks for the help:smile:
Original post by pak1994
Personally I would read over an essay, and then go through it a paragraph at a time recalling out loud what I could remember, and just keep doing that.
(by this, I mean that this is how I went about learning them).

i think this method is effective! the only thing is, its just so boring that it requires a lot of effort and i'll just forget it in like a week lol, although i always remember the first paragraph word for word as i go over it the most, i just write the paragraphs on flashcards then read the flashcards starting from first para to secon para then back to first annd second then go to third para then go back to first, second and include third, itsjust that it takes so long and its boring:frown: how did you have enough will power to force yourself to memorise the essays?
Original post by iWoof
My most effective method of memorising the essays is writing down notes, and putting the notes into a mind map from memory.
Also imagining yourself doing the studies is also helpful to me.

imageray sounds helpful as well! i tried using that for a study and i still remember it although i am trying to memorise the essays word for word so i try to picture the words on the page, how would you place the notes from the essay on the mind maps?
omg lol i was thinking the exact same thing!! but predicting which ones will come up is hard, especially with psychology as they could split the essays into 2 questions:frown: the only way i have been able to memorise is writing it on flash cards and then just repeat over and over until i've learned it, it took me an hour to do this for 1 essay and i cba to memorise the other 500 lol its so boring, i just end up not putting in any effort, thats good that you memorised 5! lol, i barely did 1, but your right i'll try to go over it again and again, thanks for the help:smile:

Arh i know tell me about it! But that's the only way i can motivate myself by eliminating certain questions and ticking off the ones i've memorised.. And same it's so tedious to revise for and is no use to me, wish i could back to AS and drop out or not even pick it at all loool :frown:
Good luck though and keep going, still got a month and abit we can do this ;p

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2186
Original post by prettyugly
Arh i know tell me about it! But that's the only way i can motivate myself by eliminating certain questions and ticking off the ones i've memorised.. And same it's so tedious to revise for and is no use to me, wish i could back to AS and drop out or not even pick it at all loool :frown:
Good luck though and keep going, still got a month and abit we can do this ;p

Posted from TSR Mobile

Guys do you know how many studies you need to include in order to get the 12 marks?

Atm I've memorised 2 studies per topic, and 2 evaluations for each study
i think this method is effective! the only thing is, its just so boring that it requires a lot of effort and i'll just forget it in like a week lol, although i always remember the first paragraph word for word as i go over it the most, i just write the paragraphs on flashcards then read the flashcards starting from first para to secon para then back to first annd second then go to third para then go back to first, second and include third, itsjust that it takes so long and its boring:frown: how did you have enough will power to force yourself to memorise the essays?

It definitely does take a lot of effort, and I do usually find myself getting bored by the end so I often end up learning the first few essays really well and then the others decreasingly well because I can't be bothered... I've got over that though by mixing up the essays, so that I do them in a different order each time. Also, once I've learned the essays I then write out the key points on another piece of paper and use that to revise from, just checking that I remember the key points and am able to expand on them.
Your idea of flash cards seems like a really good one.

That's a hard question that my brother actually asked me a few weeks ago (he's sitting his AS exams this year). The thing is that I just force myself to do it, and I'm not sure exactly how. One thing you could try is doing short bursts of work. I worked at a revision residential this week where they taught the kids about something called the Pomodoro technique ( http://pomodorotechnique.com/get-started/ ) where you work for 25 minutes, then have a short break of about 5 minutes, and then do it again. Once you've done 4 sets of 25 minutes you get a longer break of 20-30 minutes.
What I'm trying to do is write out my psychology essays on computer, Microsoft Word, then you go to File-Options-Quick Access Toolbar-Choose Commands from: All Commands-then scroll down to near to the bottom to Speak, then select this and it will be avaliable next to the Save and Undo buttons-you can then highlight a load of text, press this button and the computer will recite the text back to you, useful to imprint it into your memory.
Reply 2189
essay subjects like politics and sociology revision tips?
REVISION TIPS FOR
PHILOSOPHY AND ETHICS
AND ENGLISH LANGUAGE?
Anyone know how to structure these essays in order to achieve a Grade A?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ogmios97
How long do you recommend I revise per day for my 21 upcoming GCSE exams. I have started intensive revision yesterday but I feel I left it too late. Any tips to secure the highest grades?

How long did you find "intensive revision" was for you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Revisiontimecats
REVISION TIPS FOR
PHILOSOPHY AND ETHICS
AND ENGLISH LANGUAGE?
Anyone know how to structure these essays in order to achieve a Grade A?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing Philosophy and Ethics too, what exam board you on? - i'm WJEC
Original post by djhodnett
I'm doing Philosophy and Ethics too, what exam board you on? - i'm WJEC

IM ON Aqa

Posted from TSR Mobile
They should stop publishing mark schemes! Students rely on it too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arieisit
They should stop publishing mark schemes! Students rely on it too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Students have every right to rely on mark schemes when examiners stick to them so religiously rather than interpret each candidates work individually to assess knowledge they just see if you've used their exact wording (especially biology and chemistry examiners). Half the time we're not being assessed by our knowledge but by our ability to adhere to their little phrases they're so fond of.
Original post by LeaX
Students have every right to rely on mark schemes when examiners stick to them so religiously rather than interpret each candidates work individually to assess knowledge they just see if you've used their exact wording (especially biology and chemistry examiners). Half the time we're not being assessed by our knowledge but by our ability to adhere to their little phrases they're so fond of.

Psychology
two essays of same quality
one will use 'support' 'furthermore' 'appropriateness' 'one criticism' gets an A
the other doesn't and gets a C

it's a sad sad truth :frown: that's what's gone wrong with A level, it's almost as though the subject itself is secondary to being taught how to pass the exam.

back on topic: in essay subjects I revise through essay-writing. For history my teacher said 'the people who got As were the people who I got so sick of seeing cause they kept giving me essays!' It's good because it structures your revision, contextualises the vast amount of information needed in history and makes you feel as though you're working towards something when you complete an essay. :smile:
psychologically it's very encouraging
Reply 2197
Original post by Sheldor
How long did you find "intensive revision" was for you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

45 mins with a short break followed, about 3 hours in total
Original post by can'tbeleftblank
Psychology
two essays of same quality
one will use 'support' 'furthermore' 'appropriateness' 'one criticism' gets an A
the other doesn't and gets a C

it's a sad sad truth :frown: that's what's gone wrong with A level, it's almost as though the subject itself is secondary to being taught how to pass the exam.

back on topic: in essay subjects I revise through essay-writing. For history my teacher said 'the people who got As were the people who I got so sick of seeing cause they kept giving me essays!' It's good because it structures your revision, contextualises the vast amount of information needed in history and makes you feel as though you're working towards something when you complete an essay. :smile:
psychologically it's very encouraging

Ahh don't get me started on psychology lol. I find it so frustrating.
Read in more detail than required and actually be engaged and interested in what you are learning.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending