The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

J234
Just finished first year (and you've just finished second?)

Oh I see - so you survived the horrors of compulsory History and Politics? :p: And yep, I'm going into third year. :smile:

J234
And to the OP, I replied to your PM. Don't take a gap year solely to reapply. You need to be able to look back and be happy you took a year out, even if you get rejected. If you can't do that it isn't worth it.

Agreed.
Does anyone know who was rejected by Cambridge without an interview, to go on and gain admissions in a later application to Cambridge?
King-Panther
Does anyone know who was rejected by Cambridge without an interview, to go on and gain admissions in a later application to Cambridge?

I don't, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible. If, for instance, they had poor AS and predicted grades but went on to retake and ended up with excellent UMS there's no reason why it couldn't happen.
Reply 23
If you use the search function, you will notice that every year there are people thinking about reapplying, and that there are quite a few people on here who have done so successfully. I have read a few of those threads and found them pretty helpful.

I am currently considering to reapply as well, and found it extremely helpful to talk to the college that pooled me last year. They actually told me that people who are reapplying get accepted more often - I guess because they are more familiar with the entire process.
_Claudia_
If you use the search function, you will notice that every year there are people thinking about reapplying, and that there are quite a few people on here who have done so successfully. I have read a few of those threads and found them pretty helpful.

I am currently considering to reapply as well, and found it extremely helpful to talk to the college that pooled me last year. They actually told me that people who are reapplying get accepted more often - I guess because they are more familiar with the entire process.

Yeah, that makes sense as you have the experience of doing it before. Yeah, the threads I've made have helped a lot, I don't know what I would have done without TSR.... You should reapply if you feel your application is stronger this time around. I know mine is A LOT stronger. However, I will be applying to a different college this time.
_Claudia_

They actually told me that people who are reapplying get accepted more often

Say for instance, only 1 in 5 new applicants are successful but people who are reapplying 1 in 4 are successful? Is that what you meant? I made the above figures up.
King-Panther
Say for instance, only 1 in 5 new applicants are successful but people who are reapplying 1 in 4 are successful? Is that what you meant? I made the above figures up.

Yes, that's the idea. But obviously that doesn't mean you have a better chance if you reapply, ceteris paribus.
Reply 27
Basically I'm dropping out of my course after completing the first year. This is for a combination of reasons - the course is badly taught, I don't like the subject (it's jt hons), my health and my family's health have been very bad.. etc

In my first year exams I did quite badly. I passed, but I don't think I exceeded 60% overall. This was mostly due to my mother falling critically ill at the start of the year, then my mental health went down the toilet, and I have developed a mystery physical illness which has been chronically painful since Feb. Excuses, excuses, right? Anyway.

So I'm reapplying for 2011 entry to study Geography. I got AAA at A-level so I'm going to apply to Cambridge - I did apply to Oxford last time but was rejected, mostly due to *horrible* interview I think.

My question is, do I have to put my first year exam results in my UCAS app? Will they ask for it on the SAC? Would it be unreasonable for me to ask my tutor to *not* mention my awful first year results in the PS she's said she'll write for me? Basically anything I need to know re: my first year results and my new application. Bare in mind I am not applying anywhere for 2nd year entry (which would definitely take the results into account).

Thanks
alex_hk90
Yes, that's the idea. But obviously that doesn't mean you have a better chance if you reapply, ceteris paribus.

Well, with the stronger application, yes I feel I do.. But it being my second application, I don't think thats going to give me an advantage really.
Reply 29
I gave the stats in some other threads - the odds of success post A level are about the same as pre A level. I got panned by people for saying it but that is what the numbers say.

That said, my wife was rejected by Catz and accepted the next year by Fitz, so it can be done.

My daughter was rejected by Fitz for History this year and has just got A in History and A*s in Geography and Biology. It is her choice, but I'm pretty sure she is moving on and going to York.
bb193
I gave the stats in some other threads - the odds of success post A level are about the same as pre A level. I got panned by people for saying it but that is what the numbers say.

That said, my wife was rejected by Catz and accepted the next year by Fitz, so it can be done.

My daughter was rejected by Fitz for History this year and has just got A in History and A*s in Geography and Biology. It is her choice, but I'm pretty sure she is moving on and going to York.

As I've mentioned, my application was very weak in general last time, I got rejected from all my top choices (reason why I'm reapplying), however my application is very strong in every aspect now (compared to my last). Thus, I feel that Cambridge would not be a wasted choice and would be worth a shot.
Reply 31
King-Panther
Has anyone reapplied to Cambridge successfully after being rejected without an interview first time around?

The success rate is slightly higher for second time applicants.
I know somebody who applied to College A, got interviewed and then pooled to College B, then interviewed and rejected.

They took a gap year and reapplied to College C, where they were interviewed before being once again pooled, to the original College A, where they were interviewed and then accepted!

They got 4 interviews, pooled twice and 1 rejection before getting in. They are doing fine and got a 2.1 grade last year, I believe.
mikedavies
I know somebody who applied to College A, got interviewed and then pooled to College B, then interviewed and rejected.

They took a gap year and reapplied to College C, where they were interviewed before being once again pooled, to the original College A, where they were interviewed and then accepted!

They got 4 interviews, pooled twice and 1 rejection before getting in. They are doing fine and got a 2.1 grade last year, I believe.

Thats good for them...... A bit of a headache though.
synvilla
The success rate is slightly higher for second time applicants.

So I've heard.
Last year, I applied to Cambridge but got rejected for economics.
I received offer from warwick and intend to go there.
After receiving my Alevel results with 4A* in Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Accounting, I am wondering to give it a try.
Is it possible for me to study in other university while reapplying to Cambridge or I must take a gap year ????
Is it worth for me to reapply ????

Thanks for reading and replying my problems.
Definitely re-apply but from what I've heard on other threads , if you go to another university to do a similar course to the one you are applying to do at Cambridge, then they wont accept you on principle. I would suggest take a gap yah and apply for 2011 entry

and join my 2011 Cambridge applicants thread:ninja:
Reply 37
With 4 A* i am sure it is worth to apply. I have heard from previous experienced that students have gone to university but have re-applied for either 1st year entry one again or 2nd year entry. Warwick is an amazing university, take the offer and then re apply. Or you could ask Warwick to defer your entry? If you may be interested in taking a gap year.
Reply 38
Sad3k
With 4 A* i am sure it is worth to apply. I have heard from previous experienced that students have gone to university but have re-applied for either 1st year entry one again or 2nd year entry. Warwick is an amazing university, take the offer and then re apply. Or you could ask Warwick to defer your entry? If you may be interested in taking a gap year.

You can't hold a deferred offer while reapplying, unfortunately.

I'm probably reapplying (even though I have an offer from Durham), so I'm in the same boat. To be honest, if I liked Durham only a little I wouldn't consider reapplying; the chances of a second rejection are big, and applications are getting more and more competitive.
But if Cambridge is what you really want and you know you won't be happy at Warwick, go for it :smile: I think you'll have to take a gap year though:

Please note that the Cambridge Colleges will not normally, as a matter of principle, consider applications from students attending other UK universities applying to study the same or a very similar subject at Cambridge.

If you wish to make such an application it will have to be strongly supported by your tutor at your current university. A reference or letter of recommendation from him/her to the Cambridge College will be required, and only then can a Cambridge College consider it.

If you wish to apply to Cambridge to read a different subject from the one you are currently studying at a UK university, we would assume that you had had a change of heart and no longer wish to study the subject you are currently pursuing. In this case your application would be considered, but would still need strong support from your current university tutor.

If you are in the final year of a Bachelors degree at another UK university you are, of course, welcome to apply for admission as an affiliated student.

Good luck with your decision :smile:
Reply 39
I'm in the same situation, but i dont think i really want to take a year out just for cambridge and I liked warwick enough when i saw it... plus i would have nothing to do in my gap year

Latest

Trending

Trending