The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
hunter'sdaughter
Definitely re-apply but from what I've heard on other threads , if you go to another university to do a similar course to the one you are applying to do at Cambridge, then they wont accept you on principle. I would suggest take a gap yah and apply for 2011 entry

and join my 2011 Cambridge applicants thread:ninja:

I somehow doubt that. How will Cambridge know if you don't tell them. Its not like UCAS are going to tell them either.

To the OP, I do think there might be other issues with applying to Cambridge when at another university, however. You'll rack up a lot of debt in your first term with fees etc, and you'll probably get to know a fair few people, only to leave after 1 term if Cambridge accept you.

You only go to university once so it may as well be the one you want, even if it takes a little longer to get there. Especially with grades like yours.
dd4483
I somehow doubt that. How will Cambridge know if you don't tell them. Its not like UCAS are going to tell them either.

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/apply/otherroutes.html#affiliated
"Please note that the Cambridge Colleges will not normally, as a matter of principle, consider applications from students attending other UK universities applying to study the same or a very similar subject at Cambridge.

If you wish to make such an application it will have to be strongly supported by your tutor at your current university. A reference or letter of recommendation from him/her to the Cambridge College will be required, and only then can a Cambridge College consider it.

If you wish to apply to Cambridge to read a different subject from the one you are currently studying at a UK university, we would assume that you had had a change of heart and no longer wish to study the subject you are currently pursuing. In this case your application would be considered, but would still need strong support from your current university tutor.

If you are in the final year of a Bachelors degree at another UK university you are, of course, welcome to apply for admission as an affiliated student."
Reply 42

Yes I see what you're trying to say, but still, how will Cambridge be any the wiser about if you are at another university or not?

I guess if you were to put your existing uni address on your Cambridge application it would give it away, but most people at university have their mail forwarded from their home address anyway.

I don't see why it should matter if you are at another university or not. Its your choice where you want to study, and if you are unhappy with your current institution then you should have the right to apply elsewhere.
dd4483
Yes I see what you're trying to say, but still, how will Cambridge be any the wiser about if you are at another university or not?

I guess if you were to put your existing uni address on your Cambridge application it would give it away, but most people at university have their mail forwarded from their home address anyway.

I don't see why it should matter if you are at another university or not. Its your choice where you want to study, and if you are unhappy with your current institution then you should have the right to apply elsewhere.

I do see where you're coming from but still it's just their policy fair or not. I think you may have to declare the truth considering they have the right to withdraw an offer based on fraudulent information (however technical)
Reply 44
dd4483

I'm pretty sure they'll find out through UCAS. And if they do and realise that you've been trying to omit this fact they certainly won't accept you. If you're serious about reapplying I wouldn't take the risk, to be honest.
Reply 45
I applied for Cambridge, economics, last year and wasn't successful. I got an offer from Aberdeen university and accepted it. However I feel, I might have greater chance to succeed for Cambridge this year. What are my chances? Is it worth trying?:confused:
what grades did you get?

also did you get feedback on why you were rejected?
Reply 47
All I got was a formal letter, nothing specific. I got top grades in my school leaving examination. I am from Slovakia though.
I got my A level results on the 19th, and got 3 A*s which is much higher than what I was expecting! I've always wanted to go to Cambridge, and after applying last October to Christs college to study History, I was put in the Winter Pool and then turned down after no other college could find me a place.

I'm currently holding a place to study History at Warwick. I mostly like the course, but the Spanish element is not what I want and I'm not too keen on the area.

I'm seriously considering taking a gap year and reappling to Cambridge, although I'm not sure if I would still get an offer for Warwick next year. I phoned up Warwick and all they could say was 'well we would have to decide when we get all the new applications in but competition is increasing etc'

Obviously its a gamble reapplying to Cambridge, so do you think it is worth doing it if its what I really want ( considering tuition fees may increase and competition is going to increase)? Warwick is a really good uni, and I do mostly like it, but the fact that I still got pooled last year when having lower predicted grades, a crappy interview and applied to one of the most competitive colleges in Cambridge makes me think I might be in with a chance this year ( plus I'm from a state school... lol)
Reply 49
Bump.

I've edited the thread title and moved this to the appropriate forum, OP. You should get a better reply here. :smile:
Bumpity bump.
I don't have an answer for you, but i'm interested to see the answer!
IMHO, i reckon it'd be worth a go, especially with your grades- even if you didn't get into Cambridge next year, you definitely wouldn't end up without a place anywhere, but since i'm just a lowly AS student (XD), i don't know the inner workings of Cambridge so can't really give you much helpful advice...
Clueless0rach
Bumpity bump.
I don't have an answer for you, but i'm interested to see the answer!
IMHO, i reckon it'd be worth a go, especially with your grades- even if you didn't get into Cambridge next year, you definitely wouldn't end up without a place anywhere, but since i'm just a lowly AS student (XD), i don't know the inner workings of Cambridge so can't really give you much helpful advice...

I agree- reapply next year- you might actually get in- especially wih those grades.
Reply 52
I was given an offer for maths this year but didn't make it. I studied the IB and was asked to do STEP papers 2 and 3. I exceeded my IB offer and STEP 2 was fine but I messed up STEP 3 pretty badly and because of this my application was unsuccessful. Although this was sort of expected because I had to teach myself the further maths syllabus just so I could do STEP 3.

My insurance is actuarial science at LSE, but it just doesn't feel as appealing now. I keep thinking about reapplying next year, and I know this will probably mean facing STEP 2 and 3 again if I were to get another offer. The main thing I want to know is whether it is worthwhile for me to just carry out my first year at LSE and reapply while at uni or should I just take a proper gap year? I'm not sure about how the system works so any advice is appreciated.
I don't know much about maths, so I can't advise about whether or not to go to LSE, but I was in the same situation as you last year, having got an offer for AAA and actually got AAB. First of all - bad luck, it sucks. When I was deciding whether or not to reapply, I did two things - I asked for feedback and I actually visited my insurance uni. When my feedback was really good, and I realised that I didn't actually like my insurance uni at all, the decision was made for me.

I think that you need to consider the fact that LSE is a very good university, however, and that it's always a gamble applying to Cambridge. If you did decide to reapply, I think that it would be better to take a gap year and turn down LSE, rather than try to apply whilst at LSE, because a) it's hilariously complicated and I'm not even sure that Cambridge really like you to apply whilst at another university and b) do you really want to spend a year in London, getting to know people, only to up sticks to Cambridge?

RE taking STEP again - yes, you might well have to take it again, though you could also consider the fact that you'll have most of a year to look at it again. Then again, even though I resat the subject that I got a B in, I was made an Unconditional offer the second time around, so you might not have to.

I hope this helps. I don't want it to seem like I'm implying that you should go one way or the other - that's your decision. In my case, it was made simpler because I didn't like my insurance university - as I said, I don't know how you feel about LSE, though I reckon it is a very good university. It's a difficult decision - good luck!
Reply 54
Hey people, I'm in the exact situation as loads of you. Got rejected from Oxford (pre-interview due to the TSA) and now got an offer from Warwick for Econ. Got Pretty damn good grades, and now want to reapply to cambs, although i dont want a gap year and dont want to jeapordise my place at wowwwick.

But cambridge apparently will reject anyone who is at another uni, so Im thinking just say that I'm on a gap year working etc. and want to go travelling etc. and get a reference from my school as per last year. EASY!

What do you think? (technically, that is lying...but then again, its a stupid cambridge policy) . Secondly, do you know anyone that has successfully transferred from one uni to another?
Reply 55
ive got an offer to warwick for economics and want to reapply while im there to cambs. my problem is that cambs will not accept anyone at another top uni, but its really petty because if i get an offer then i will drop out after the first term! do you think its best to say im on a gap year on my ucas?
Reply 56
I applied to Cambridge last year to study History of Art at Clare College and got as far as the interview stage which I didn't make it through despite the feedback saying I made a 'good impression at interview'. I feel that I was not confident enough to demonstrate my ability and disadvantaged by the fact that my school did not provide any interview support or guidance prior to the interview. I was also rejected by Bristol because stupidly I mentioned Cambridge in my personal statement and by the date of my application they cottoned on that they were my second choice as I was applying to Oxbridge (apparently Bristol do this all the time?).

So anyway I got offers from the University of East Anglia (AAB) and St Andrews (AAB), I chose St Andrews as my Firm since in my opinion it is the better University of the two although neither were my first choice... I'm really unsure of what to do, I visited St Andrews in April and although the place is beautiful and the university has a fantastic reputation I just didn't feel at home there or as excited as I did when I visited Cambridge and am now having doubts about going there.

I picked up my A Level results last week achieving A* English Literature A Religious Studies A History and A in Art and Design, with these results is it worth me reapplying to Cambridge to study English Literature instead?:woo:

Any advice is really appreciated thanks!
Reply 57
You mentioned Cambridge in your personal statement? I'm surprised you didn't get straight rejections... no offence but that's like, golden rule number one from what I can tell!
Reply 58
Lyam
You mentioned Cambridge in your personal statement? I'm surprised you didn't get straight rejections... no offence but that's like, golden rule number one from what I can tell!

Not the University exactly, basically I wrote about some exhibitions I'd been to at the time and one of them was Darwin's Endless Forms at the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge, so I guess that along with the application date was how Bristol worked it out..
In my opinion, yes Cambridge is a good university, but it is massively overhyped
I for one regret coming- and thats not to say you will too, I just want to help prospective students get this university into perspective
The fact that it will be massively useful in the ever- tightening job market consoles me- but I don't think its a good thing that oxbridge degrees are set on a pedestal that way- I don't think its always necessarily the absolute best course in every subject, and even if it maybe is, it isn't necessarily the best thing for you

St. Andrews is up there with the Russel group- all right behind oxbridge, and in my personal opinion, they are probably a lot more fun. St. Andrews and Cambridge are both extremely small, so I just mention that because its a problem for me personally (but the crowd is what makes a place fun)...

As far as I know, East Anglia isn't quite up there... but ask other people for their opinion...

if you really think cambridge is right for you for the right reasons (ie not because you just visited it and was overawed, and you have this picture in your mind about 'omg its cambridge!!'- because I was one of those cringing 17-year olds who idolised oxbridge, and once I got there- I found out that basically- reality is reality, and it has its ups and downs everywhere...)

it is worth considering that history or art isn't the most in demand on the job market- I know degrees are not all about money and careers, but you don't want to be struggling and confined in life 5 or 10 years down the line because of your degree- it is important to look at a degree as an investment, and remember that 3 years seems like an age at 19/20, but it isn't as long as your life afterwards...

if you are in school right now OP, certainly do reapply if you want to - I strongly believe that students should really take a gap year before uni- I think its the best thing for the majority of people- and I strongly feel that it shows in cambridge students when all they've ever known is school, and life with their parents and childhood friends (often in a cosy, small english town or city)- my gap year really helped me learn what I really want in life, before, I had no idea (I didn't realise at the time)... so in my opinion, you will more likely end up choosing a uni you will enjoy

it does sound like you aren't that kean on St. Andrews (and if you feel that way now, you could well get sick of such a small town- its all the way up in scotland, its near-ish to edingburgh but not that near, and it is tiny)...

my verdict is- reapply
but don't be set on cambridge- reapply if you seriously have thought through why you personally would like it (because- take it from me- that is crucial!) and apply to other unis in the AAA*-AAB bracket which sound good to you, and where the course appeals to you, and do something brilliant and exciting on your gap year (I am so jealous that you might have 15 months to plan exciting things- I wish I had that again so I could travel or get experience and skills working...!)

message me if you have any questions
good luck OP

Latest

Trending

Trending