The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Peninsula have confirmed their re-sit criteria for a minimum of 320 UCAS points across 3 A levels for 2011 entry.
Reply 181
ImWithTheBand
Peninsula have confirmed their re-sit criteria for a minimum of 320 UCAS points across 3 A levels for 2011 entry.

is that ABB!?
hopes
is that ABB!?

ABB = 320 so presumably yes.

Not at all sure how they would feel about A*BC - probs OK as it is 320 UCAS points across 3 A levels. Prob best to check your specific details with PMS before sending off your application.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 183
Hey guys - I'm still thinking about which medical schools would be worth applying to this year - your two pence would be really appreciated. It sounds ridiculous, but having perused various prospectuses (-i?) I really can't decide which four to go for, all discernment has gone out of the window in my desperation to get a place! I have AAB, 10 A*s and my UKCAT on the 8th so it's a little longer 'til that can be a deciding factor. The only AAB places I can find are Aberdeen, Bristol, UEA, Glasgow, Keele and Sheffield... I would rather not retake physics as I found it quite nightmarish the first time round! Any ideas about the least high-risk options?
Ulo
Hey guys - I'm still thinking about which medical schools would be worth applying to this year - your two pence would be really appreciated. It sounds ridiculous, but having perused various prospectuses (-i?) I really can't decide which four to go for, all discernment has gone out of the window in my desperation to get a place! I have AAB, 10 A*s and my UKCAT on the 8th so it's a little longer 'til that can be a deciding factor. The only AAB places I can find are Aberdeen, Bristol, UEA, Glasgow, Keele and Sheffield... I would rather not retake physics as I found it quite nightmarish the first time round! Any ideas about the least high-risk options?
Apparently Leeds will let you in if you've got AAB with your grades in hand, but call up first as I'm only going on the word of a friend.
Reply 185
PMD have made the decision: "The School has agreed that applications from students who have achieved ABB at their first attempt in A Levels will be considered." :frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:
Reply 186
WOO got the job as a Bank HCA :smile:
Reply 187
916-CALL-TURK
I had a Brizzle interview last year with 2A*S - it's not impossible to get one just very inprobable.

thanks for that. you must have a cracking ps! do they look for anything n particular ( like Manchester being hot on long-term volunteering) ? need all the help I can get!
conorcd
thanks for that. you must have a cracking ps! do they look for anything n particular ( like Manchester being hot on long-term volunteering) ? need all the help I can get!
It was so good I decided to use it for a second year running :awesome:

In all seriousness go check the Bristol site, tere'll be a PDF stating what they want to see in your personal statement. Fulfill all that and MAKE SURE IT FLOWS WELL AS A PIECE OF PROSE and you'll be alright for an interview.

Just a side note, but if you do get an interview and your grades aren't that great, then make sure it's one HELLUVA interview - I made the mistake of writing the answers to the important interview questions (like "Why Medicine") on the train there and I also slept 4 hours the night before (they emailed me saying I had an interview before my Jan exams had finished and I only found out literally a few days before :s-smilie:). So practice, practice, practice!
Reply 189
hey, i was wondering when resitting, say if i am resitting 4 modules would you have to resit them all at one sitting or can u do say 2 in jan and 2 or june??
(edited 13 years ago)
XCLNC
hey, i was wondering when resitting, say if i am resitting 4 modules would you have to resit them all at one sitting or can u do say 2 in jan and 2 or june??
i am pretty sure you can do them whenever as long as you will have taken them by june and have the right predictions. x
Hey other retakers

Well I think I'm gonna apply to UEA, Keele and Peninsula........they are the ones that don't mind and I got ABB so I can apply to Peninsula who need minimum ABB.

PRoblem is there is no 4th choice I can apply too, BSMS said ABB is "too weak"....and Liverpool said with no extenuating circumstances I'll have a very low chance.

I got 670 avg in my UKCAT so I hope that puts me above any cut off Peninsula has (last year it was 650 for them)!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 192
Darthdevidem
Hey other retakers

Well I think I'm gonna apply to UEA, Keele and Peninsula........they are the ones that don't mind and I got ABB so I can apply to Peninsula who need minimum ABB.

PRoblem is there is no 4th choice I can apply too, BSMS said ABB is "too weak"....and Liverpool said with no extenuating circumstances I'll have a very low chance.

I got 670 avg in my UKCAT so I hope that puts me above any cut off Peninsula has (last year it was 650 for them)!

Do you meet any of that widening access criteria?
Hey guys,
Just wanted to ask, u think I ought to mention that im resitting (3 modules in jan) in my Personal Statement? and that a narrowly missed out on the grades required for medicine (AAA/AAB- I got ABB) or is it best if thats mentioned on my reference?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 194
I haven't mentioned it on mine, but thats because i am already having problems with too many characters
Vas said he didn't mention his failure to get his grades first time round (iirc) and he got a place at Peninsula and was just one point off being called to interview at Keele.
Reply 196
ImWithTheBand
Vas said he didn't mention his failure to get his grades first time round (iirc) and he got a place at Peninsula and was just one point off being called to interview at Keele.

do you think it would look bad if it mentioned in my reference that i am reapply because i missed my grades? one of the tutors at school said that it could show some vague determination as i didn't just seek refuge in clearing etc etc...but then they'll also know that i squandered my chance to get into medicine!
ImWithTheBand

So he didn't mention resitting during the year? A PS helper told me that the unis will able to see that a candidate is resitting so its good to explain maybe what happened, and also that you will be spending a part of year resitting (and not travelling/ gaining work experience).
So Id like to ask ulo's question too! :would it be a good/bad thing to mention it?
Thanks
Ulo
do you think it would look bad if it mentioned in my reference that i am reapply because i missed my grades? one of the tutors at school said that it could show some vague determination as i didn't just seek refuge in clearing etc etc...but then they'll also know that i squandered my chance to get into medicine!

I really don't know the answer, it would probably be a good idea to ask Vas what he thinks, he is a successful resit applicant and has recent experience. I suspect it depends where you apply. Liverpool like you to reflect on it in the PS, I think. Keele depend heavily on the PS and therefore it sounds counter-intuitive to reflect on it as you are trying to sell yourself in order to get selected for interview. Peninsula seem to not really depend very much on the PS and select for interview by mostly other means as I understand it.

I've asked my referee to cover it and I'm concentrating my PS on positive aspects about me. There's not really enough space to go into detail about missing grades; they can see from the UCAS form the results from this year's A2s and the predicted grades for A2 so it's self evident I'm a resitter. Unless there are extenuating circumstances what is there to say?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 199
Liverpool and UEA told me you had to explain it in your ps but others said get referee to do it or didn't mention it at all.

Latest

Trending

Trending