The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It's a bit late in the day for Peninsula to go changing their resit policy.... it's a few short weeks before the closing date. Sorry for people who might get caught out by that.

I'm having a bit of a tumble in the slough of despond with resitting and reapplying. I might apply to 3 med schools and to two Zoology courses, somewhere decent. That means I'm losing confidence, doesn't it?

Vas876 - did you ever lose your nerve last year?
Reply 81
ImWithTheBand
It's a bit late in the day for Peninsula to go changing their resit policy.... it's a few short weeks before the closing date. Sorry for people who might get caught out by that.

I'm having a bit of tumble in the slough of despond with regards to reapplying. I might apply to 3 med schools and to two Zoology courses, somewhere decent.

Oh no, I had no idea that they had - what are they saying these days? I called them abuot 2 weeks ago and they said they were fine with it!
Where would you do the Zoology? I'm sure we all feel the same here, but at least we know it is do-able. At least we're trying rather than wondering "what if?"!
Ulo
Oh no, I had no idea that they had - what are they saying these days? I called them abuot 2 weeks ago and they said they were fine with it!
Where would you do the Zoology? I'm sure we all feel the same here, but at least we know it is do-able. At least we're trying rather than wondering "what if?"!

Zoology at maybe Bristol or UCL? Or perhaps one of those and then one a little less competitive... maybe Southampton or Exeter. Exeter has a marvellous reputation for its Zoology course but it's based at the Cornwall campus which is practically the Scilly Isles. :p:

Does anyone know how Zoology might view a medicine personal statement? Zoology at Bristol has 9 applicants for every place, that's on a par with medicine. So I imagine they can afford to be a little sniffy about Medicine 'also rans' using up their fifth choice. :eek:
ImWithTheBand

There is too much to do and too little time, to loose your nerve.

You got to stat on point! Especially with exams, i honestly never left the house for 2 weeks straight coming up to jan, to make sure i got the grades.
Reply 84
vas876
There is too much to do and too little time, to loose your nerve.

You got to stat on point! Especially with exams, i honestly never left the house for 2 weeks straight coming up to jan, to make sure i got the grades.

Hey, I was wondering if you had any nuggets of wisdom to offer with regards to where I should consider applying to...Bristol, Glagow, Sheffield and UEA - yay or nay?
Ulo
Hey, I was wondering if you had any nuggets of wisdom to offer with regards to where I should consider applying to...Bristol, Glagow, Sheffield and UEA - yay or nay?

Bristol is honestly ridiculously competitive, I'm not sure if its worth applying there! Then again your grades are achieved so that puts you at an advantage over those with predicted grades!

Sheffield unless you get a UKCAT score of over 685 I would not apply there!

I really do rate UEA so that would be a good place to apply!

Ill get back to you on glasgow and peninsula!
vas876
Bristol is honestly ridiculously competitive, I'm not sure if its worth applying there! Then again your grades are achieved so that puts you at an advantage over those with predicted grades!

Do you happen to know how UEA select for interview?
ImWithTheBand

Iv never experienced it, but its around somewhere.

Hygeia
Grabby

Wanna get in on this?
Reply 88
ImWithTheBand

Have a look here: http://www.uea.ac.uk/med/course/mbbs/My+application
Reply 89
I emailed BSMS also and recieved this reply:

"Thank you for your email. In all honesty it does look like candidates with ABB or below will really struggle to reach the interview stage as our entry requirements have risen to AAA or A*AB including grades A in Chemistry and Biology A level and most retake candidates applying will be near this (ie AAB/A*BB) already.

In short you can apply to BSMS but with ABB and the fact BSMS is one of the few schools considering retake candidates so the competition is fierce amongst them, it will be hard for you to reach the interview stage.

I’m sorry for this disappointing news."

The three 'resit candidates' I know applying for BSMS alreaddy have AAB even A*AB
But I still feel like applying! why??!
Reply 90
klikdizzle
I emailed BSMS also and recieved this reply:

"Thank you for your email. In all honesty it does look like candidates with ABB or below will really struggle to reach the interview stage as our entry requirements have risen to AAA or A*AB including grades A in Chemistry and Biology A level and most retake candidates applying will be near this (ie AAB/A*BB) already.

In short you can apply to BSMS but with ABB and the fact BSMS is one of the few schools considering retake candidates so the competition is fierce amongst them, it will be hard for you to reach the interview stage.

I’m sorry for this disappointing news."

The three 'resit candidates' I know applying for BSMS alreaddy have AAB even A*AB
But I still feel like applying! why??!

OMG I KNOW! IT JUST FEELS LIKE I'VE LOST ANOTHER CHANCE IF I DON'T APPLY THERE. THERES ONLY SO MANY PLACES WE CAN APPLY ANYWAYS.
Reply 91
I emailed Manchester and i have extenuating circumstances but they say they don't accept resits under any conditions! I'm applying to the foundation courses again this year and i am thinking about applying to Keele, how do they select for interview they rejected me last year and didn't give any feedback and i was wondering how to strengthen my application for them.
Reply 92
vas876

Brilliant - thanks. My rationale for Bristol was in case of a dodgy UKCAT scorebut I'm liking the look of UEA more and more too. Do you have any idea about Cardiff, Aberdeen and Keele? I'm kicking myself for not having applied to more AAB universities last year. D'oh.

Thanks, Hygeia. I've read their website, extensively. I was really angling for any information anyone has (and is willing to share) that's not on their website. For example, from personal experience having been rejected prior to interview and rec'd feedback. :p: But thanks v much to you and Vas for taking the time to answer. :smile:
Reply 94
Right I have a query about declaring grades on UCAS.
Being a resit candidate with achieved grades of BBBB in Biology Chemistry Physics and Maths...I will be resitting some of the modules in each subjects. I was wondering do I just put the grades of my A-levels subjects that I got this August and then declare them again as pending? Or do I put down the modules I'm resitting as pending? I'm confused.
Aiboz
Right I have a query about declaring grades on UCAS.
Being a resit candidate with achieved grades of BBBB in Biology Chemistry Physics and Maths...I will be resitting some of the modules in each subjects. I was wondering do I just put the grades of my A-levels subjects that I got this August and then declare them again as pending? Or do I put down the modules I'm resitting as pending? I'm confused.

You put all you current A Levels down for August 2010, then you put them in again, as pending for August 2011.

The modules you are not retaking you can put the achieved grade you have in that module.
Ulo
Brilliant - thanks. My rationale for Bristol was in case of a dodgy UKCAT scorebut I'm liking the look of UEA more and more too. Do you have any idea about Cardiff, Aberdeen and Keele? I'm kicking myself for not having applied to more AAB universities last year. D'oh.

You and about 4000 other applicants.

If you meet cardiff's GCSE scoring system, then why not, but again you are up against those with AAA predicted and achieved.

Id run far, far, far away from Aberdeen.

Keele, the personal statement and reference are important with them, you may get slightly further than i did last/this year with them, i almost got an interview. But they are a good one to apply to, as well.
Reply 97
ImWithTheBand
Thanks, Hygeia. I've read their website, extensively. I was really angling for any information anyone has (and is willing to share) that's not on their website. For example, from personal experience having been rejected prior to interview and rec'd feedback. :p: But thanks v much to you and Vas for taking the time to answer. :smile:

To be fair, they provide a lot more information on it than most! The feedback people have gotten from being rejected prior to interview is usually just giving them the score they got for each component of this:
1. Capacity for self-directed learning
2. Capacity to work effectively in groups and with colleagues
3. Capacity to take responsibility
4. Motivation
5. Personal effectiveness
Where they are told whether theirs was poor/average/good/excellent (I think it says how many goods or excellents were needed to get to the next stage as well)

Similarly at interview, they are marked on each station in a similar way and need a certain number of goods/excellents in order to get an offer
Reply 98
KopCat
I emailed Manchester and i have extenuating circumstances but they say they don't accept resits under any conditions! I'm applying to the foundation courses again this year and i am thinking about applying to Keele, how do they select for interview they rejected me last year and didn't give any feedback and i was wondering how to strengthen my application for them.

I thought they were ok if you had held an offer with them but apparently not this year! we picked a bad year to mess up!
Reply 99
vas876
You put all you current A Levels down for August 2010, then you put them in again, as pending for August 2011.

The modules you are not retaking you can put the achieved grade you have in that module.

Thanks!! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending