The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

hey guys do u think there is any point in doing biomed for 3 years and then applying to do medicine afterwards ??

because atm im really unsure if this is something i want to do... im on a gap year atm and havent got any offers for med... :frown:
Reply 1061
Original post by taken4granted
hey guys do u think there is any point in doing biomed for 3 years and then applying to do medicine afterwards ??

because atm im really unsure if this is something i want to do... im on a gap year atm and havent got any offers for med... :frown:

Where did you apply? and have you got AAA at A level?
Original post by myyrh
Where did you apply? and have you got AAA at A level?

no unfourtunatly i got aab first time round. i resat one of my modules in jan and im just waiting for the results now.

i applied to southampton, liverpool, lancaster as medicine choices. and shefield and sussex as biomed.
Reply 1063
no unfourtunatly i got aab first time round. i resat one of my modules in jan and im just waiting for the results now.

i applied to southampton, liverpool, lancaster as medicine choices. and shefield and sussex as biomed.

Have you been rejected from all your choices or you just haven't heard?
Original post by myyrh
Have you been rejected from all your choices or you just haven't heard?

got offers from the biomed but rejected from lancaster and southampton. just waitin for liverpool :frown:
Reply 1065
got offers from the biomed but rejected from lancaster and southampton. just waitin for liverpool :frown:

How many points did you get at GCSE and do you have a B in your 4th AS? Well it's really a difficult choice for you :frown: If you get 3As in your resits you can reapply and universities will still consider you but as for Liverpool and Lancaster, they would want a completely new personal statement. The thing is again you could end up with no offers again which would just be unbearable. Considering Biomed, you face extreme competition for graduate places and fee problems and as you can imagine not all graduates will get a place. Don't give up as you still have to hear from Liverpool and you have every chance of obtaining an interview :smile:
Original post by myyrh
How many points did you get at GCSE and do you have a B in your 4th AS? Well it's really a difficult choice for you :frown: If you get 3As in your resits you can reapply and universities will still consider you but as for Liverpool and Lancaster, they would want a completely new personal statement. The thing is again you could end up with no offers again which would just be unbearable. Considering Biomed, you face extreme competition for graduate places and fee problems and as you can imagine not all graduates will get a place. Don't give up as you still have to hear from Liverpool and you have every chance of obtaining an interview :smile:

thanks for the encouragement. erm.. i got 6 A*'s 2 A's and a B in gcse. my AS was an A. problem is that i dont think il get an interview from liverpool and im really unsure if 3 years on a very competitive course is something which i want to do. bearing in mind that once that is done il have to apply to gem which like u said is also very competitive. If i get an a on my resit i will probably not re-apply again next year since this gap year has been pretty depressing for me :frown:

im considering different career paths all together if im honest...
Reply 1067
thanks for the encouragement. erm.. i got 6 A*'s 2 A's and a B in gcse. my AS was an A. problem is that i dont think il get an interview from liverpool and im really unsure if 3 years on a very competitive course is something which i want to do. bearing in mind that once that is done il have to apply to gem which like u said is also very competitive. If i get an a on my resit i will probably not re-apply again next year since this gap year has been pretty depressing for me :frown:

im considering different career paths all together if im honest...

Why do you think you wont get an interview at Liverpool? Yeah I think that's the same with most of us resitters, this is our last chance for medicine :redface: If you don't mind me asking, when did you get rejected from Southampton? was it due to your UKCAT because I didn't know they have rejected any BM5 applicants :s-smilie:
Original post by myyrh
Why do you think you wont get an interview at Liverpool? Yeah I think that's the same with most of us resitters, this is our last chance for medicine :redface: If you don't mind me asking, when did you get rejected from Southampton? was it due to your UKCAT because I didn't know they have rejected any BM5 applicants :s-smilie:

It's not our last chance! Even if we don't get in this time round we will be back :sexface:!

GEM is the way forward :colone:
Reply 1069
Original post by Doctor.
It's not our last chance! Even if we don't get in this time round we will be back :sexface:!

GEM is the way forward :colone:

Maybe for some, but personally I couldn't spend three years doing a degree my heart really wasn't in, in the hope of making it for graduate entry. If I don't get in I will just have to move on from medicine :redface:
Original post by myyrh
Maybe for some, but personally I couldn't spend three years doing a degree my heart really wasn't in, in the hope of making it for graduate entry. If I don't get in I will just have to move on from medicine :redface:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo you're like the most dedicated person I have seen on here:fuhrer:. I am sure you'll get back on medicine if you don't make it to Medicine, so many people go the way of the GEM anyway! It's for the more cool people :cool:.
Reply 1071
Original post by Doctor.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo you're like the most dedicated person I have seen on here:fuhrer:. I am sure you'll get back on medicine if you don't make it to Medicine, so many people go the way of the GEM anyway! It's for the more cool people :cool:.

Don't get me wrong, I would probably try applying to one or two medical schools while at university :tongue: Its just with increased tuition fees and the sheer competition of graduate entry that If I don't get in, it simply wasn't meant to be which is fine. I would, like many others get over it and move on :smile: Medicine can't be the be all and end all of my life :cool:
Original post by myyrh
Don't get me wrong, I would probably try applying to one or two medical schools while at university :tongue: Its just with increased tuition fees and the sheer competition of graduate entry that If I don't get in, it simply wasn't meant to be which is fine. I would, like many others get over it and move on :smile: Medicine can't be the be all and end all of my life :cool:
Fair enough I guess :tongue:.
I think I will take the GAMSAT and see how it goes from there! Besides if I finish the degree and start working after the degree I could just apply to Medicine and all that lol.
Fees :coma:....I just hope they give us some support. I am sure if I get my medical degree, I could pay it off after a few years of working I guess.

Jut don't give up!:cookie:
Reply 1073
Original post by Doctor.
Fair enough I guess :tongue:.
I think I will take the GAMSAT and see how it goes from there! Besides if I finish the degree and start working after the degree I could just apply to Medicine and all that lol.
Fees :coma:....I just hope they give us some support. I am sure if I get my medical degree, I could pay it off after a few years of working I guess.

Jut don't give up!:cookie:

I'm giving it my all this year :biggrin: I'm guessing Liverpool said no? :frown: However you clearly are a fighter and have the determination needed to go through this grueling route and I know you'll make an excellent doctor :biggrin: Genuinely best of luck :smile: :smile:
Original post by myyrh
I'm giving it my all this year :biggrin: I'm guessing Liverpool said no? :frown: However you clearly are a fighter and have the determination needed to go through this grueling route and I know you'll make an excellent doctor :biggrin: Genuinely best of luck :smile: :smile:

"Please rate some other members before rating this member again."
Cutie :love:.
If you get a third A, you should definitely reapply but you can do so while on another course. I applied for my third time and got in so it is possible. I have enjoyed my second gap year much more than my first as it wasnt a total shock to the system. You get used to it :P
Original post by AndrewWong92
If you get a third A, you should definitely reapply but you can do so while on another course. I applied for my third time and got in so it is possible. I have enjoyed my second gap year much more than my first as it wasnt a total shock to the system. You get used to it :P

How different was your second gap year compared to your first?
Original post by Tzarchasm
How different was your second gap year compared to your first?

I wasnt depressed haha! You get used to it and tbh you mature more too. Take life more seriously and I think you'll end up putting more work in for your degree as you've worked hard to get in. Its early now so you can start planning things for the summer and to really boast up your application. Just because its your second doesnt mean it cant be as useful as your first!
Original post by AndrewWong92
I wasnt depressed haha! You get used to it and tbh you mature more too. Take life more seriously and I think you'll end up putting more work in for your degree as you've worked hard to get in. Its early now so you can start planning things for the summer and to really boast up your application. Just because its your second doesnt mean it cant be as useful as your first!

You're definitely courageous. It's quite something when you have to pick yourself up twice. If I were to get 4 rejections this year again, I'm not sure whether if I should go into another gap year. I have three options:

1) Undergo a second gap year
2) Enter a separate course then attempt to enter post-graduate medicine
3) Study abroad

Number two seems to be the more likely choice, even though it's much more longer and competitive than the other options.
Original post by Tzarchasm
You're definitely courageous. It's quite something when you have to pick yourself up twice. If I were to get 4 rejections this year again, I'm not sure whether if I should go into another gap year. I have three options:

1) Undergo a second gap year
2) Enter a separate course then attempt to enter post-graduate medicine
3) Study abroad

Number two seems to be the more likely choice, even though it's much more longer and competitive than the other options.

Well have you got your three As already?

If you have a second gap year isnt that risky. Keele only accept resits if they already have the grades. I had an interview from them too but havent heard back and peninsula do (they gave me the offer).

But if you take another course...consider will you put your 100% into a degree you dont want to be in? if you dont get at least a 2:1 then you wont be able to get into medicine graduate entry. There are certain unis which allow you to transfer and there was a guy in plymouth on my interview day who had an interview but was a first year biomed student so you could still apply during the course?

Your choice is personal, depends on how much you want it or if you think you can get it? In 2 years, i had 7 rejections without interview and 1 with (liverpool) so taking a second gap year was risky but i thought i could do it.

Latest

Trending

Trending