The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
people, when you put down A level grades down it says qualification taken do you put june 2010 or august 2010?

i got my final A level results last month
Reply 101
TX22
people, when you put down A level grades down it says qualification taken do you put june 2010 or august 2010?

I put June for GCSEs and so will put June for A Levels since we took them then.
TX22

Its the date you were certified, so August 2010.
Aiboz
Thanks!! :biggrin:

hey, i got the same as you pretty much BBBa (a was an AS).
where are you applying? i have decided to do a degree then to try grad entry as i have found that this year you pretty much need to get all you grades up to AAA and even then i was under the impression that most unis will look at your application less favourably, plus with this new A* i was concerned i would be more at a disadvantage.
Also where can you apply with BBB at first sitting?
indie_couture
hey, i got the same as you pretty much BBBa (a was an AS).
where are you applying? i have decided to do a degree then to try grad entry as i have found that this year you pretty much need to get all you grades up to AAA and even then i was under the impression that most unis will look at your application less favourably, plus with this new A* i was concerned i would be more at a disadvantage.
Also where can you apply with BBB at first sitting?

Peninsula
Keele
UEA
Liverpool
BSMS (Don't Advise it)

Kings Extended Medical Degree Programme
UEA Six Year MB/BS with a foundation year
Southampton BM6
vas876
Peninsula
Keele
UEA
Liverpool
BSMS (Don't Advise it)

Kings Extended Medical Degree Programme
UEA Six Year MB/BS with a foundation year
Southampton BM6

Thanks though in all honesty i am not sure if i resat i would get AAA and some of my subjects i have a few low modules so would need to retake a lot. I have come round to think i will do a degree and if i still want to do it i will do grad entry. I know its competitive but people still do it. If i start the degree and hate it i will think again but i am really hoping i dont!
I thought about southampton BM6 and UEA but it is likely my families financial situation will change so wont qualify, not sure if i even do for UEA tbh. Though knowing my luck it wont and i will wish i had reapplied. Oh i hate this, just as i have my mind set on one thing i worry i have made the wrong decision.
indie_couture
Thanks though in all honesty i am not sure if i resat i would get AAA and some of my subjects i have a few low modules so would need to retake a lot. I have come round to think i will do a degree and if i still want to do it i will do grad entry. I know its competitive but people still do it. If i start the degree and hate it i will think again but i am really hoping i dont!
I thought about southampton BM6 and UEA but it is likely my families financial situation will change so wont qualify, not sure if i even do for UEA tbh. Though knowing my luck it wont and i will wish i had reapplied. Oh i hate this, just as i have my mind set on one thing i worry i have made the wrong decision.

How many marks are you away from the A in each subject?

You should check with Soton if your post code places you in the lowest 20% of the IMD

If I were you personally, I would take a gap year and re-apply, while trying to retake. If you manage to pull it off and get both offers and the grades the awesome, and put 1 or 2 of your choices for the other degree you are considering.

That way you would have given getting into medicine as a school leaver the best chance, then go to university.

The year will also give you good time to think what you want to do with your life and become certain with your choices, afterall you should never make life changing decisions without over thinking it.
vas876
How many marks are you away from the A in each subject?

You should check with Soton if your post code places you in the lowest 20% of the IMD

If I were you personally, I would take a gap year and re-apply, while trying to retake. If you manage to pull it off and get both offers and the grades the awesome, and put 1 or 2 of your choices for the other degree you are considering.

That way you would have given getting into medicine as a school leaver the best chance, then go to university.

The year will also give you good time to think what you want to do with your life and become certain with your choices, afterall you should never make life changing decisions without over thinking it.

i know my postcode won't fulfil that criteria. All my modules are probably about at least 20 marks off.
Thanks for the help but i think for me this is the best way. x
indie_couture
i know my postcode won't fulfil that criteria. All my modules are probably about at least 20 marks off.
Thanks for the help but i think for me this is the best way. x

To be honest, I agree.

(Unless - If you had more confidence in your ability of getting AAA, then i am pretty confident that with a good enough personal statement and UKCAT score you would be able to get at the very least one interview)
indie_couture

It looks as though Peninsula might be changing their resit policy to exclude those without an A in their first attempt A levels (they currently accept first attempt grades of 300 points across 3 A levels). I think they are deciding in a week or two... FOR THE FORTHCOMING CYCLE. So please watch out for that if you do decide to reapply.

And btw I don't think Liverpool accept resits any more. Best to check.
vas876
To be honest, I agree.

(Unless - If you had more confidence in your ability of getting AAA, then i am pretty confident that with a good enough personal statement and UKCAT score you would be able to get at the very least one interview)

Thanks! at least i feel a bit better now. I will actually double check how far i was off but i doubt it will change my mind. I thought about possibly applying to UEA and Soton 6 year while in my first year though not sure if they would really consider me as on the wiki i am not sure if the table is for just 5 year or the ones with foundation years also. Might email them to see.
Thanks for your help, good luck for your first year at Peninsula, i might apply as a grad there as apparently there is quite a good success rate (well slightly better than some). x
ImWithTheBand
It looks as though Peninsula might be changing their resit policy to exclude those without an A in their first attempt A levels (they currently accept first attempt grades of 300 points across 3 A levels). I think they are deciding in a week or two... FOR THE FORTHCOMING CYCLE. So please watch out for that if you do decide to reapply.

As of 24 June 2010, Liverpool still accepted resits stating the following in their admissions criteria:

"Applications from candidates resitting advance level examinations may be considered if the applicant otherwise meets the GSCE criteria (as above). Applicants must acknowledge and reflect on their need to resit in the personal statement. "
ImWithTheBand

Peninsula are cutting it fine this year!
indie_couture

What degree are you thinking of doing?

Best of luck with whatever you decide. It is a tough decision.

I oscillate between being quietly confident and paralysed by the difficulty. The difference between meeting my 2010 offers and being cast into the Medicine wilderness forever is tiny, 6 and 8 UMS in chem and maths but the consequences are disproportionately dire. Of course I should have taken greater care. I wish now I had not done 4 A levels. It was 33.3% more work than was necessary.

I now have a huge UKCAT score. But nowhere I'm applying to cares about UKCAT. My life is an Alan Ayckbourn farce. :p:
Reply 114
ImWithTheBand

What degree are you thinking of doing?

Best of luck with whatever you decide. It is a tough decision.

I oscillate between being quietly confident and paralysed by the difficulty. The difference between meeting my 2010 offers and being cast into the Medicine wilderness forever is tiny, 6 and 8 UMS in chem and maths but the consequences are disproportionately dire. Of course I should have taken greater care. I wish now I had not done 4 A levels. It was 33.3% more work than was necessary.

I now have a huge UKCAT score. But nowhere I'm applying to cares about UKCAT. My life is an Alan Ayckbourn farce. :p:

Liverpool do still accept resits but this is what they say: "Applications from candidates resitting advance level examinations may be considered if the applicant otherwise meets the GCSE criteria (as above). Applicants must acknowledge and reflect on their need to resit in the personal statement "
vas876
Peninsula are cutting it fine this year!

Peninsula would surely have a moral duty to consider an application submitted prior to the update of their new selection criteria for resitters? They can't go changing the rules AFTER someone has applied. Shirley?

Interesting about Liverpool, I seem to be totally confused about them. Please ignore me.

I mean to email each med school I apply to prior to applying. To check they will consider my application. I suggest other resitters do likewise.

And, Vas, thanks for all your help on this thread. Your advice has been invaluable.
Hygeia
Liverpool do still accept resits but this is what they say: "Applications from candidates resitting advance level examinations may be considered if the applicant otherwise meets the GCSE criteria (as above). Applicants must acknowledge and reflect on their need to resit in the personal statement "

Yes, thanks. I'm sorry for getting that wrong. I'll go back and edit that post. :smile:
ImWithTheBand
Peninsula would surely have a moral duty to consider an application submitted prior to the update of their new selection criteria for resitters? They can't go changing the rules AFTER someone has applied. Shirley?

Interesting about Liverpool, I seem to be totally confused about them. Please ignore me.

I mean to email each med school I apply to prior to applying. To check they will consider my application. I suggest other resitters do likewise.

And, Vas, thanks for all your help on this thread. Your advice has been invaluable.

Im pretty sure they can do whatever they like untill October 15th! It would be evil, so mid sept seems resonable.

I would agree, Last year I emailed all the universities I was considering/eligable to apply, and confirming that i could apply. But also i was asking them for further information as to how they treat applications from re-sitters.

Your UKCAT Score will not hinder your application expecially with Peninsula. It will most likely help, and you are likely to be invited to interview as in december. But remember whatever they ask for as the offer, you need to make sure you have 20 points more than this.

So last year I was predicted AAa with an A achived. So 420 points!

So this year where they ask for AAAc (400 UCAS Points) so again i would advise you are predicted 420 incuding your A.
Reply 118
If only I qualified for the King's College London 'Extended Medical Degree Programme', I wish I lived in London. :frown:
Aiboz
If only I qualified for the King's College London 'Extended Medical Degree Programme', I wish I lived in London. :frown:

You can still apply for the BM6 and UEA 6yr one.

Latest

Trending

Trending