Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Medicine Resit Applicants' Success Stories?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areyousure?)
    Offer from Liverpool

Wooo!!! Well done ))
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myyrh)
    Offer from liverpool!!!
    Congrats again.!!!! You're definitely on a roll :P Totally deserve it!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aj2010)
    Congrats again.!!!! You're definitely on a roll :P Totally deserve it!
    Thank you very much Have you decided on your firm then?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myyrh)
    This is taken from their Admissions technical manual. UKCAT test results are used alongside the academic information provided on the UCAS form in order to select candidates for interview. Applicants who apply using grades that have already been achieved need not sit the UKCAT. Peninsula have a very transparent admissions process. As long as you meet their minimum requirements at GCSE, you are ranked by A2 predictions/grades and UKCAT. If you have predicted grades, you must meet the overall and individual UKCAT cutoffs. Anyone with achieved grades already in hand need not meet the cut off.
    have you got a link for this please mate? because i couldnt find this info on their website

thank you
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by undertaker1)
    have you got a link for this please mate? because i couldnt find this info on their website

thank you
    Sure man, here you go https://wombat.pcmd.ac.uk/document_m...al_2011-12.pdf
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    So who is revising with me to get those grades???!!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    So who is revising with me to get those grades???!!
    Me I'm living and breathing Chemistry atm Have you decided what is your first choice yet?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myyrh)
    Me I'm living and breathing Chemistry atm Have you decided what is your first choice yet?
    sameee!! trying to get 8 hours a day, but not working lol No not yet, I need to sort out my modules first I think!... what about you ?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    sameee!! trying to get 8 hours a day, but not working lol No not yet, I need to sort out my modules first I think!... what about you ?
    Wow 8 hours :eek: How many exams do you have in June? Probably going to firm Liverpool
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myyrh)
    Wow 8 hours :eek: How many exams do you have in June? Probably going to firm Liverpool
    I have 5 and trying to get another resit so that will make it 6 but my centre is not very nice :P and now that the deadline is over an its late entry fees or whatever I don't know how to ask I want to have do another resit more. Especially after I got told there was no point in even resitting again after Jan results regardless of my offer lol

Liverpool is awesome!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well done and good luck to everyone who has managed to get an offer following re-sits. A real achievement. I know what it's like having gone, and continuing to go, through the re-sit scenario with my son. Reading all your stories and advice gives me a little hope that there might be light at the end of a very long tunnel for him.

His story is long and complicated but he crux of it is he has done some resits so he's limited in the universities he can apply to. He applied to med school for the first time this year and the universities he applied to included Liverpool. He was unsuccessful but intends to reapply next year for entry in 2013.

Please can anyone give some advice about their Liverpool application. My son was told by Liverpool that he needed to reflect on his resit and what he learnt from it in his personal statement. He obviously didn't do enough as he was rejected without interview. How much did you write about it - a paragraph- and did you go into it in depth? I'd really appreciate the benefit of your experience so that when he reapplies this year he gives himself the best chance possible of success.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pick up the pieces)
    Well done and good luck to everyone who has managed to get an offer following re-sits. A real achievement. I know what it's like having gone, and continuing to go, through the re-sit scenario with my son. Reading all your stories and advice gives me a little hope that there might be light at the end of a very long tunnel for him.

His story is long and complicated but he crux of it is he has done some resits so he's limited in the universities he can apply to. He applied to med school for the first time this year and the universities he applied to included Liverpool. He was unsuccessful but intends to reapply next year for entry in 2013.

Please can anyone give some advice about their Liverpool application. My son was told by Liverpool that he needed to reflect on his resit and what he learnt from it in his personal statement. He obviously didn't do enough as he was rejected without interview. How much did you write about it - a paragraph- and did you go into it in depth? I'd really appreciate the benefit of your experience so that when he reapplies this year he gives himself the best chance possible of success.
    I'm a bit confused because you say he applied this year for the first time. Is he on a gap year this year or is he still in year 13 resitting some modules?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Myrrh

Thanks for your request for more info. Sorry I tried to get your message into this post but I'm new to this game and unsure how you do things!

Sorry I didn't give all the facts. He's on his second gap year and looks like he's going to have another one. The story is quite complicated. I will privately post you with all the details if you're up for a saga.

He resat the exams he didn't do well in the following Jan after he left school, he did this independently whilst he was working. He now has the equivalent of 1A* 2 As and 1 B at A Level. He did not do Chemistry so has gone back to College to do an A level in one year. He's predicted an A. He applied for the first time to medicine this year (entry 2012) but received 4 rejections. His UK CAT score was

I hope this helps.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Myrrh

Thanks for your request for more info. Sorry I tried to get your message into this post but I'm new to this game and unsure how you do things!

Sorry I didn't give all the facts. He's on his second gap year and looks like he's going to have another one. The story is quite complicated. I will privately post you with all the details if you're up for a saga.

He resat the exams he didn't do well in the following Jan after he left school, he did this independently whilst he was working. He now has the equivalent of 1A* 2 As and 1 B at A Level. He did not do Chemistry so has gone back to College to do an A level in one year. He's predicted an A. He applied for the first time to medicine this year (entry 2012) but received 4 rejections. His UK CAT score was

I hope this helps.
    I have sent you a private message
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myyrh)
    I have sent you a private message
    Thanks Myrhh

I've sent you a private message too Thanks for taking the time to read it. I'd appreciate your thoughts.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Myrhh

I've sent you a private message too Thanks for taking the time to read it. I'd appreciate your thoughts.
    Thanks for your private response Myrhh. Lots of really useful and sensible information.

I do think that the odds are stacked against my son but I'll continue to help him gather as much information as possible so that if he fails to get in next year at least he will know he has given it his very best shot.

Good luck with you medicine course. You sound like a really decent person who will no doubt make a great doctor.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well that's it, the end of the 2012 application cycle and no medicine offers. Who's in the same boat as me and what are you planning on doing?
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_alybot)
    Well that's it, the end of the 2012 application cycle and no medicine offers. Who's in the same boat as me and what are you planning on doing?
    I am also in this boat.

I've decided its time to go the way of the graduate. Pharmacy degree here I come . Looking forward to September!

Yourself?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doctor.)
    I am also in this boat.

I've decided its time to go the way of the graduate. Pharmacy degree here I come . Looking forward to September!

Yourself?
    I've decided to go the graduate route too but the thought of another gap year is hovering in my mind. I've got an offer for Optometry at City University London but I'm not sure whether to take it because they're asking A*AA and I realistically don't think that's attainable so I've been having a gander at what's in Extra whilst still being on the fence about whether to take my Optometry offer or not ARGH.

What would you recommend?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doctor.)
    I am also in this boat.

Yourself?
    It will work out at the end, I'm sure!! So you going for Liverpool?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 12, 2014
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.