The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
vas876
You can still apply for the BM6 and UEA 6yr one.

Thanks, yeah. Its just the King's course structure appeals to me sooo much :love: Ah well can't be entitled to choices when being a resit candidate.:o:

Edit: Oh I have a question about these widening access courses, with resitting and aiming to get AAA does that affect an application to an extended course which normally has candidates with lower grades? If you get what I mean. :smile: Thanks.
Aiboz
Thanks, yeah. Its just the King's course structure appeals to me sooo much Ah well can't be entitled to choices when being a resit candidate.

Edit: I don't live in East Anglia either. Oh I have a question about these widening access courses, with resitting and aiming to get AAA does that affect an application to an extended course which normally has candidates with lower grades? If you get what I mean. :smile: Thanks.

last year i applied to southampton's 6 year course with predictions of AAB, i can gurantee they will ask you 'why did you apply when you can go for the 5 year'. I had some really good reasons and i later told a student who got on to the course and she couldn't think there was anything wrong with what i had said - all valid. But i possibly think they would be more likely to give the place to someone with ABB and lower as they can't apply to many places so would seem fairer. By all means apply, you never know and i have heard of people with AAA applying and getting places so they do, but i think you must need to give very good reasons for the course.
Reply 122
I was going o apply to Soton 6year last year but I spoke t them on the phone and they said go for 5 year as predicted AAB ( 3 sciences). I got rejected and feedback said it was as so many predicted AAA! very hard to know what to do for the best.
Reply 123
spent this morning emailing every uni outside London about resitting with only ABC achieved. will post replies as they come. can someone read this from Cardiff. Do they mean you are ok if you are resitting modules before end of 2 years or as long as only resitting any modules? I explained I was resitting 1 Biol and 2 chem. ta

"Resit applicants will only be considered in exceptional circumstances.
If you are only retaking modules, and not the overall A level, we would consider
your application, but you would be in open competition with other applicants."
Aiboz
Thanks, yeah. Its just the King's course structure appeals to me sooo much :love: Ah well can't be entitled to choices when being a resit candidate.:o:

Edit: I don't live in East Anglia either. Oh I have a question about these widening access courses, with resitting and aiming to get AAA does that affect an application to an extended course which normally has candidates with lower grades? If you get what I mean. :smile: Thanks.

What are you on about?

You dont need to live in east anglia

http://www.uea.ac.uk/med/course/6mbms/mbbser
Reply 125
vas876
What are you on about?

You dont need to live in east anglia

http://www.uea.ac.uk/med/course/6mbms/mbbser

Ah sorry. Yeah, I read it all and realised .. I forgot to edit my post.
indie_couture
last year i applied to southampton's 6 year course with predictions of AAB, i can gurantee they will ask you 'why did you apply when you can go for the 5 year'. I had some really good reasons and i later told a student who got on to the course and she couldn't think there was anything wrong with what i had said - all valid. But i possibly think they would be more likely to give the place to someone with ABB and lower as they can't apply to many places so would seem fairer. By all means apply, you never know and i have heard of people with AAA applying and getting places so they do, but i think you must need to give very good reasons for the course.

She is a resiter, its irrelevant.

She got BBB first time, so the fact that she is predicted AAA is irrelevant.
conorcd
I was going o apply to Soton 6year last year but I spoke t them on the phone and they said go for 5 year as predicted AAB ( 3 sciences). I got rejected and feedback said it was as so many predicted AAA! very hard to know what to do for the best.

As a resitter, as long as your original grades meet their entry requirements you can apply for the 6Yr even though you will be predicted AAA on the new ones.

As the August 2010 results will be on your ucas from.
Does anyone know if I can apply with the Irish leaving certificate after having done A-levels but didn't get the right grades.
I was worried about the gap in years between my GCSEs and the leaving cert results, as this would show on my UCAS
vas876
As a resitter, as long as your original grades meet their entry requirements you can apply for the 6Yr even though you will be predicted AAA on the new ones.

As the August 2010 results will be on your ucas from.

would they see that you were retaking them?
indie_couture
would they see that you were retaking them?

Yea thts the whole point.
Reply 131
indie_couture

Newcastle and Leeds let you reapply to their widening access schemes but obviously you still need to persuade the med school to give you an offer! think they want extenuating circ but waiting for replies
Reply 132
I think I e-mailed them twice but here is another reply:

"We can confirm that we do consider applications from re-sit students. Please note that the Senior members of our Admissions team will be meeting in the middle of September to set the lowest grades, achieved by students in their first sitting, that we will accept although it is likely to be ABB or AAB. We would advise that you contact us again after the 20th September when we will be able to give you a definitive answer."

:frown:

Edit: This was from PMS
Reply 133
Aiboz
I think I e-mailed them twice but here is another reply:

"We can confirm that we do consider applications from re-sit students. Please note that the Senior members of our Admissions team will be meeting in the middle of September to set the lowest grades, achieved by students in their first sitting, that we will accept although it is likely to be ABB or AAB. We would advise that you contact us again after the 20th September when we will be able to give you a definitive answer."

who is this for??? please dont say PMS.
hopes

Yea I think its from Peninsula.
Reply 135
vas876
Yea I think its from Peninsula.

how can they jump from BBB to AAB!? i really really really hope it goes to ABB and no further :frown:
hopes
how can they jump from BBB to AAB!? i really really really hope it goes to ABB and no further :frown:

ABB would be fairer.
Hongieee
Can you guys and girls give me an honest answer please?
I'm in my second year of 6th form and in year 13.
I flopped my june exams and ended up with BBBC.
However, in biology, I was 2 marks from an A
and 7 marks from an A in chemistry.
But I'm predicted AAA/B

Do I still have a chance to get into med?
Or should I just give up?
And I haven't taken my UKCAT yet, its in a 2 weeks

You have just started Year 13? So your AS results were BBBC?

The short answer is Yes, I got BBBD at AS.

Its easily possible, just retake one modules in each of the B's in Jan Alongside your first A2 Exams.

Also why are you posting here, this is for applicants resitting modules AFTER A Level Results, not After AS.

You can resit to hearts content, during year 13.
Reply 138
Because I wondering whether I should just retake the whole year and choose a new course - its not too late, my school isn't exactly picky with their students.

And thanks for the info :smile:
Reply 139
hopes

Yes, its Peninsula.