The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by priya8D
I think I'm going to resit unit 2 as I didn't do so well. Oh I see. Should I still apply to medicine this year or take a gap year then reapply? :smile:

There is no harm applying next year. Just apply wisely to the universities you stand a chance at and try to make the rest of your application solid.
When you retake a year do your previous grades remain?
Reply 1562
Original post by alexberry
When you retake a year do your previous grades remain?

Not unless you do worse.
I'm resitting the year after getting terrible A2 grades. Applying for Liverpool, Lancaster and Exeter. I'm really loving the look of Exeter but I know they're tough on the UKCAT... Does anybody know what the minimum score is that I should aim for? And any advice?? Tbf as long as somewhere accepts me I will be ecstatic. My family are very skeptical about me applying and think that there is no way I will get in :frown: But I really really want this
Reply 1564
Original post by Rumschpringe
I'm resitting the year after getting terrible A2 grades. Applying for Liverpool, Lancaster and Exeter. I'm really loving the look of Exeter but I know they're tough on the UKCAT... Does anybody know what the minimum score is that I should aim for? And any advice?? Tbf as long as somewhere accepts me I will be ecstatic. My family are very skeptical about me applying and think that there is no way I will get in :frown: But I really really want this

What were your grades if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys. So basically I received an offer from KCL for medicine this year, but I missed my offer so was unsuccessful. I however take the IB and I am not very familiar with AS and A-level and whatnot? Does anyone perhaps know what the resit policies for the med schools are in IB terms? :confused:

Also if there are any IBers that are in the same boat as me... Or have been. Are there any success stories of retaking the IB and consequently getting into medicine?
Original post by Dr.Ugs
What were your grades if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

BCC ...
Reply 1567
BCC ...

Don't be upset. You will have to apply to unis listed in this thread ( I recommend not applying to Brighton as they want AAB for the first time) if i were you I would be applying for Liverpool, Lancaster, exter/Plymouth and/or UEA.

You need to be predicted A*AA to be considered for UEA so make sure you pester your ex-teachers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1568
Thanks for all the help on this thread. Really appreciated it, I didn't have to resit thankfully.

I hope all resitters apply wisely and are successful :smile:

Best of luck!!
If you need any info I have emailed quote a few unis so pm or quote me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1569
To all who completed/ are completing A-levels in 3years..
I just sent an email to the top 20 medical schools in the UK regarding their resit policie (also mentioning that I have aspergers syndrome ); I got a reply from Manchester saying they would consider a offer from me, so long as I provided a letter from my doctor or school explaining how my condition affected my grade. So all I have to do now is call my psychologist and have her write a letter and it'll pass as 'extenuating circumstances'.
Note to all : Most medical schools consider resit applicants( even the likes of oxford and Cambridge!) as long as their circumstances are extenuating and they achieve A*AAc
does kings accept 3 year duration a levels for biomedical science
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Don't be upset. You will have to apply to unis listed in this thread ( I recommend not applying to Brighton as they want AAB for the first time) if i were you I would be applying for Liverpool, Lancaster, exter/Plymouth and/or UEA.

You need to be predicted A*AA to be considered for UEA so make sure you pester your ex-teachers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I did some calling up and I'm going to be applying to Liverpool, Lancaster and Exeter. I still need to check up on UEA actually. I called up Plymouth and their resit policy actually differs from Exeter- they're like Brighton and want AAB in the first sitting!
Reply 1572
Yeah I did some calling up and I'm going to be applying to Liverpool, Lancaster and Exeter. I still need to check up on UEA actually. I called up Plymouth and their resit policy actually differs from Exeter- they're like Brighton and want AAB in the first sitting!

It seems Plymouth are sticking more closely to Peninsula's resit policy :redface:
Reply 1573
Hey Guys,

I am also a resit applicant as of 15th August. I got BBB close to A's but URGHH. I have extenuating circumstances (chem teacher was off for a bit, have this backed up by my school) and I told Leeds this and they said 'What about the other two B's?' I went on to say I was forced to take time away from the other two and catch up with chem...She was still quite hesitant....

When I told Liverpool this they said extenuating circumstance can be anything that has affected your performance and said that they therefore would accept my situation.

But this lady at Leeds has really made me doubt whether my cirumstance is good enough or not and also I do feel like it was also partly my own fault...

So where it says students must 'reflect this on their Personal Statements' I dont know what to put! Like what do you even say?!

I would be SO grateful for help!
Guys, I got A*BB for my A levels, and really really want to still apply for medicine.

Is exeter the only place I can apply to if I dont have exceptional circumstances?
Reply 1576
I need some advice. Here are my A level results: A(Chem) A(Bio) B(Maths) a( in as level Physics). I was 6 UMS away from an A in maths. I have no extenuating circumstances; It was partly my fault as I got complacent and I made some silly mistake. My GCSE results are: 7A*s 2As 4Bs.

After some research, I think here are my options:

1.Apply for Clinical sciences in Bradford and transfer to leeds if my grades are high enough or biomed at newscastle or leicester and again try for transfer if my grades are high enough

2. Resit and get an A* in which case I can apply to: BMSM, Plymouth, exeter, liverpool, lancaster and UEA. Please correct me if I missed any.

3. Graduate entry

So should I resit and apply to medical schools? Ideally I would like to get into UEA. Also, what are the chances of getting in? i.e would a resit majorly disadvantage my application to these schools?

Also which med school seem to be more resit friendly i.e known to have given offer to a number of resitters in the past.

Lastly, any resitters that got into UEA can tell me their UKCAT, GCSEs and etc.

Thanks in advance
Reply 1577
Original post by myyrh
It seems Plymouth are sticking more closely to Peninsula's resit policy :redface:

I see you are a PS helper, would you mind looking at my last year PS for me and tell me what you think? As I think it was my PS that let me down last admission cycle as I received 4 pre-interview rejection
Reply 1578
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Thanks for all the help on this thread. Really appreciated it, I didn't have to resit thankfully.

I hope all resitters apply wisely and are successful :smile:

Best of luck!!
If you need any info I have emailed quote a few unis so pm or quote me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you message Soton by any chance?
Original post by Setsuna
I need some advice. Here are my A level results: A(Chem) A(Bio) B(Maths) a( in as level Physics). I was 6 UMS away from an A in maths. I have no extenuating circumstances; It was partly my fault as I got complacent and I made some silly mistake. My GCSE results are: 7A*s 2As 4Bs.

After some research, I think here are my options:

1.Apply for Clinical sciences in Bradford and transfer to leeds if my grades are high enough or biomed at newscastle or leicester and again try for transfer if my grades are high enough

2. Resit and get an A* in which case I can apply to: BMSM, Plymouth, exeter, liverpool, lancaster and UEA. Please correct me if I missed any.

3. Graduate entry

So should I resit and apply to medical schools? Ideally I would like to get into UEA. Also, what are the chances of getting in? i.e would a resit majorly disadvantage my application to these schools?

Also which med school seem to be more resit friendly i.e known to have given offer to a number of resitters in the past.

Lastly, any resitters that got into UEA can tell me their UKCAT, GCSEs and etc.

Thanks in advance

I can tell you that Liverpool, Lancaster and UEA will have no bias towards you for being a resitter - the only 'extra' thing that they'll want from you is that you reflect in your personal statement. UEA I've also noticed seems to have accepted lots of resitters.
Personally, I am about to start medicine at Leeds this year but also had an interview at UEA. I had ABBC at A2 and retook to get AAAB.

Latest

Trending

Trending