Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Medicine Resit Applicants' Success Stories?

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedMed12)
    I believe you cannot sit exams in January Apply though, no harm in applying, but you'll have to work super hard to get the C in Chem to an A with resits in June. Its definitely possible. I know people who have got Cs in Bio to an A with retakes and revising with a new technique. Success at A-level is perseverance, practice and technique imo (as well as knowing the stuff ofc)
    good luck!
    Your question about if you'll be accepted and your chances, no one can comment on as its done on an individual basis, but if you meet the requirements, nothing is stopping you from getting an interview/offer.
    I know people with appauling UKCAT and AS results, but just applied very wisely to med schools. Limits you alot yes, but if you put aside where you want to go and apply to places where you stand a good chance, you should be okay
    What were your GCSES?
    in terms of the resits wjec still allows resits for January as I did enquire, my gcse results are 8A* and 4A's. I really want to apply for Cardiff do I stand on goodish ground for that????
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nad96)
    in terms of the resits wjec still allows resits for January as I did enquire, my gcse results are 8A* and 4A's. I really want to apply for Cardiff do I stand on goodish ground for that????
    I'd say you do provided you get the required predicted grades. Cardiff put quite a bit of emphasis on GCSEs grades and yours are great so no problem there. Just make sure you have a good personal statement too.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nad96)
    not sure what their resit policy is if you are retaking the year, but you could apply to Liverpool, Lancaster
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedMed12)
    not sure what their resit policy is if you are retaking the year, but you could apply to Liverpool, Lancaster
    Sorry I didn't mean to retake the year but only resit chem exams in jan as im still in year 13
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myyrh)
    Your chances don't look good I'm afraid. You can try and ask the universities if they would consider your extenuating circumstances but it's possible that they will be reluctant since you didn't disclose them beforehand. If your extenuating circumstances are expected you really must be predicted at least AAA if not higher in order to stand a chance. Anything lower will just not be good enough unfortunately.
    If you receive AAA after resitting then you could always take another gap year and apply provided the universities you contact, agree to accept an application from you. It's pretty much next to impossible for you to ring up on results day and ask for an offer.
    If you have your heart still set on medicine you could always go down the graduate entry route.
    Ah I see Thank you, I think i'll opt for the graduate entry route and see if I still want to do it in due time haha.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I need some good honest advice.

Last year I underachieved massively in my AS levels getting BBBC. I was extremely disappointed and although I had a good UKCAT score of 663, decided that applying with AAB predictions would be futile.

Since then I went on to achieve A*AB, with the B in chemistry.
    My plans for this year are to resit one module in chem to get the marks up (i was only about 10 marks off overall), continue my work as a dispenser at Lloyds Pharmacy where I have been for 3 years as well as Bank HCA work which I am waiting for a post after being successful at interview. In the meantime my local GPs have offered me a job doing admin and I volunteer at a care home.

I am applying to Keele because they offer A*AB, BSMS which is where I have always wanted to go, and have changed my other two options to Exeter and Liverpool as they accept resits. My UKCAT is on Thursday.

I have a strong PS due to a cadet background, having achieved an RAF scholarship to study medicine as well as a flying scholarship and high rank etcetc.

I need advice on whether Exeter is the right fourth option, whether I am honestly a strong enough candidate and where my application could be improved.

Thanks!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hello Guys, did my UKCAT today and got a bittersweet score really:

VR: 540
    QR: 750
    AR: 510 (got 620 in this last year )
    DA: 810
    Overall: 652.5

Any advice on where I should apply to? I was going to apply to plymouth or exeter but I doubt the 510 would meet the cut-off

thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ray..)
    To all who completed/ are completing A-levels in 3years..
    I just sent an email to the top 20 medical schools in the UK regarding their resit policie (also mentioning that I have aspergers syndrome ); I got a reply from Manchester saying they would consider a offer from me, so long as I provided a letter from my doctor or school explaining how my condition affected my grade. So all I have to do now is call my psychologist and have her write a letter and it'll pass as 'extenuating circumstances'.
    Note to all : Most medical schools consider resit applicants( even the likes of oxford and Cambridge!) as long as their circumstances are extenuating and they achieve A*AAc
    Hi I was just wondering did you tell the exam board about your extenuating circumstances, because I saw on the website they don't take them into account if the exam board knew and I have applied and told the exam board about my circumstances at the time.
    Thank you!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you have extenuating circumstances and the examination board give you an extra 5%, would you get an extra 5% of the mark you got or 5% of the total marks availiable?...if you get what i mean. basically if you got 50/100, would you get given 5 additional marks, or 2.5? thanks in advance
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah :))
    Okay, I need some good honest advice.

Last year I underachieved massively in my AS levels getting BBBC. I was extremely disappointed and although I had a good UKCAT score of 663, decided that applying with AAB predictions would be futile.

Since then I went on to achieve A*AB, with the B in chemistry.
    My plans for this year are to resit one module in chem to get the marks up (i was only about 10 marks off overall), continue my work as a dispenser at Lloyds Pharmacy where I have been for 3 years as well as Bank HCA work which I am waiting for a post after being successful at interview. In the meantime my local GPs have offered me a job doing admin and I volunteer at a care home.

I am applying to Keele because they offer A*AB, BSMS which is where I have always wanted to go, and have changed my other two options to Exeter and Liverpool as they accept resits. My UKCAT is on Thursday.

I have a strong PS due to a cadet background, having achieved an RAF scholarship to study medicine as well as a flying scholarship and high rank etcetc.

I need advice on whether Exeter is the right fourth option, whether I am honestly a strong enough candidate and where my application could be improved.

Thanks!
    Bumping this to include my more recent UCKAT score of 720 average.

Advice please!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bumping this to include my more recent UCKAT score of 720 average.

Advice please!
    Because you got A*AB, You are eligible to apply to plymouth and Southampton I think.
    Maybe try for those?

I'm applying to exeter too! haha I hope I can get into medicine this year!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    UCAS finally sent, just waiting game now
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Reading through it seems that most people who got in had AAB or ABB first sitting...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, you'll be fine. On the side note, I have a questions for some of the resitters currently at lpool, when did you hear back from them?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Setsuna)
    Don't worry, you'll be fine. On the side note, I have a questions for some of the resitters currently at lpool, when did you hear back from them?
    December 22ndish I got the interview invite.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maryb_101)
    Do the ukcat because what if you dont get into them unis? You need a backup plan.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    congratulations firstly and secondly, Id like to talk to you in private If that's ok regarding medicine
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazratkhan)
    congratulations firstly and secondly, Id like to talk to you in private If that's ok regarding medicine
    Maryb_101 posted that in 2012, if you look at the top of the post it says she's been banned- I doubt you're going to get a reply!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just following up from my previous post I now have a conditional offer AAA for exeter and an unconditional offer from keele. It can be done!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just following up from my previous post I now have a conditional offer AAA for exeter and an unconditional offer from keele. It can be done!
    Congratulations! Well done. Which one will you firm and what were your stats?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bukoba)
    Congratulations! Well done. Which one will you firm and what were your stats?
    Exeter firm keele insurance,
    gcses 1a* 7as 2bs
    as - bbbc
    a2 - a*ab
    ukcat 720 sjt top band

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 12, 2014
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.