The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The other thing I forgot to ask was, if you do know of or have personal experience of resitting A levels and entry into medicine, were extenuating circumstances involved?
vas876

*Grab*

If he doesn't reply, check out his applicants profile/applications. It's all in his profile.
Reply 3
yeah, and by Extenuating Circumstances Only do they mean something that wouldn't enable you to do well over the exam period.
or something that you have had to deal with over the whole A-level period that may have affected your school work and exam outcome. if that makes any sense
Reply 4
RollerBall
If he doesn't reply, check out his applicants profile/applications. It's all in his profile.

Thanks RollerBall, that is encouraging. I'll check out his profile. :smile:
Reply 5
ImWithTheBand
The other thing I forgot to ask was, if you do know of or have personal experience of resitting A levels and entry into medicine, were extenuating circumstances involved?

The attention grab worked!!

100% Worth while! I screwed up 2 exams and ended up with ABB, so after much research i realised that it wasn't the end of the road.

I could still re-sit and apply at select few medical schools, who don't need extenuating circs.

The ones that would accept applications from me were: Keele, BSMS, Soton, Peninsula, UEA (although there are a few others, but my GCSE's ruled me out from them) and of course all the Widening access courses. Kings EMDP, Soton BM6 and UEA Widening Access.

Of course the fact that i vastly improved my UKCAT score almost definately helped as well.

Feel free to ask anything you like.
Reply 6
My mum mentioned this evening that I might like to reapply next year for Drama? Er, where did that come from? She's written me off, perhaps rightly so. Ha.
Reply 7
ImWithTheBand
My mum mentioned this evening that I might like to reapply next year for Drama? Er, where did that come from? She's written me off, perhaps rightly so. Ha.

lol Gutted

I'd get the ones that are closed to A's remarked, then resit - you book this at your old school

I'll wait for Vas to tell you what your chances are as I have no clue, but hey at least you know you interview well!
Reply 8
vas876
I Will reply, but probs tomorro durin da day. Im off out.

Yeah, of course, no rush -- I'm going nowhere, literally. :eek:

I think I might be brave and bold and apply to Oxford, they don't rule out resits. I've spent this evening snuggled-up between my UKCAT book and OXMedSchool's admissions small print. Ox is high risk but probably no more so than other med schools who apparently accept resit applicants; Oxford admissions rules are refreshingly transparent as are UCL's. I loathe the opaque language that some of them use. It might come good if I give good BMAT; 25% of my 2011 application will be dead in the water if I don't. Oxford wouldn't be my first choice but resit beggars can't be choosers. :smile:

Some of my GCSEs are IGCSEs and afaik there was no A* when I sat them - I'm wondering how the GCSE A* med school junkies score those?
Reply 9
ImWithTheBand
Yeah, of course, no rush -- I'm going nowhere, literally. :eek:

I think I might be brave and bold and apply to Oxford, they don't rule out resits. I've spent this evening snuggled-up between my UKCAT book and OXMedSchool's admissions small print. Ox is high risk but probably no more so than other med schools who apparently accept resit applicants; Oxford admissions rules are refreshingly transparent as are UCL's. I loathe the opaque language that some of them use. It might come good if I give good BMAT; 55% of my 2011 application will be dead in the water if I don't. Oxford wouldn't be my first choice but resit beggars can't be choosers. :smile:

Some of my GCSEs are IGCSEs and afaik there was no A* when I sat them - I'm wondering how the GCSE A* med school junkies score those?

With UCL, they can give you specific permission to re-sit and re-apply, as you held an offer from them before. Get a hold of the admission team tutors at UCL see if they will allow you to re-sit and re-apply.

As for Oxford, Id avoid re-sitting and applying there like the plague, while they allow it your chances of getting a place are pretty much non-existent. (especially with BBBB)

From my experience I know that you wont want to do a foundation course, the additional year wont really help.

OK This leaves BSMS, UEA, Keele, Liverpool and Peninsula.

Southampton would rule you out, as you are retaking more than one A2.
Bristol generally have not time of day for re-takers, they allow it, but they wont interview you)

Here is what you nee to do now.

1. Ring UCL and the other Universities who offered you a place, explain your situation and find out of they will allow you to re-sit and re-apply?

2. Then you need to e-mail the unis i listed above and tell them your situation, and ask them if they would accept an application from you, and find out how they treat re-sit candidates.

(I already know lol -
PMS - Only use predictions to compare you to other candidates, so they pretty much ignore the achieved A2's,
Keele - as long as you got BBB or above, just predictions
BSMS - Compare you against the other re-sitters, for stage 1, then stage 2, they compare all applications equally.
Dunno about Liverpool and UEA)

P.S - I cant recommend applying to Peninsula enough, I rate them so much this year, they are actually organised and very gap and re-applicant student friendly
Thanks for all your your advice Vas876.
vas876
With UCL, they can give you specific permission to re-sit and re-apply, as you held an offer from them before. Get a hold of the admission team tutors at UCL see if they will allow you to re-sit and re-apply.

As for Oxford, Id avoid re-sitting and applying there like the plague, while they allow it your chances of getting a place are pretty much non-existent. (especially with BBBB)

From my experience I know that you wont want to do a foundation course, the additional year wont really help.

OK This leaves BSMS, UEA, Keele, Liverpool and Peninsula.

Southampton would rule you out, as you are retaking more than one A2.
Bristol generally have not time of day for re-takers, they allow it, but they wont interview you)

Here is what you nee to do now.

1. Ring UCL and the other Universities who offered you a place, explain your situation and find out of they will allow you to re-sit and re-apply?

2. Then you need to e-mail the unis i listed above and tell them your situation, and ask them if they would accept an application from you, and find out how they treat re-sit candidates.

(I already know lol -
PMS - Only use predictions to compare you to other candidates, so they pretty much ignore the achieved A2's,
Keele - as long as you got BBB or above, just predictions
BSMS - Compare you against the other re-sitters, for stage 1, then stage 2, they compare all applications equally.
Dunno about Liverpool and UEA)

P.S - I cant recommend applying to Peninsula enough, I rate them so much this year, they are actually organised and very gap and re-applicant student friendly

Thanks for that. Good to hear your thoughts. I am def applying to Peninsula, they seem to genuinely behave like human beings as far as resitters go which is encouraging.

I've already emailed UCL to seek express permission to reapply for them in the 2011 cycle, I did get an offer from them so it is possible. I did that a couple of days ago but haven't yet heard back. It's no doubt a frantic time for them. I'm also waiiting to hear back from my firm (Newcastle) but I'm not hopeful having read their small print.

I'm not at all confident re Oxford but they do seem to put more emphasis on GCSEs and BMAT rather than A levels and as any offer would be AAA minimum in any case. Hmmm. Just not sure. They do seem to reject people with low BMATs and plenty of A* and A achieved or predicted A levels -- which clearly means they don't rate the A level as evidence of academic mettle. Perhaps they aren't the obvious choice for resitters because resitters though. Meh. Dunno.

I oscillate between thinking my situation is totally hopeless and feeling energised by the challenge. Today I feel slumped in the former category. :frown:

Today I'm going into my old school to organise priority remarks then a couple of hours UKCAT pract.

And will today look into UEA, Liverpool, BSMS and Keele.
ImWithTheBand
Vas876 Well done on gaining a place. Richly deserved having read your helpful (and often entertaining/droll) posts on these boards. Can I give you my profile and you can tell me what you think, honestly, of my chances?

2010 Medicine Application
GCSEs 5A* 5A
AS Levels were AAAA (no resits) predicted A*AAA (Chem, Bio, Maths, Philosophy)
UKCAT 710
BMAT 5.5, 6.3, 11.5

FF to A2 year and the wheels came off my campaign bus, quite royally, and I got BBBB(two of them by a few marks). Meh. I (arrogantly) thought I was incapable of achieving a B at A2.:p:
Newcastle offer AAA (firm), Barts Offer AAA (Ins), UCL offer AAA (declined), Sheffield interviewed and offered a place on the waiting list (declined)
My parents divorced during my A2 year, is that extenuating? I think I feel happier about applying as a bold resit candidate, rather than a whinger. I blame myself entirely as I took my eye off the ball.

I got an A in General Studies. :smile:

I feel confident of getting AAAA if I resit in Jan. What do you reckon to my chances as a resit applicant? Should I resit all four? D'ya think?

And where would you apply if this was your application (assuming I get a broadly similar UKCAT score)?

I feel not so bleak having discovered your success story. :smile:

Does anyone know how one books GCE A Level exams? Where will I do that? I'm not sure I can face my old head of sixth form.

Your BMAT and UKCAT from last year are now pretty much irrelevant.

If you were to achieve a similar UKCAT Score, that would give your application a boost that it definitely needs as a re-sitter.

Personally I would completely forget about your 4th A2, leave it at a B.
Are any of your results more than 20 marks from the A?

Retaking exams in only three A Levels will maximise your chances of securing AAA.

It is extenuating but as neither your school nor the exam boards were made aware of it during the examination period, i don't think it counts any more.

If this was my application Without hesitation I would apply to Peninsula, Liverpool, Keele and UEA. (and I would substitute Keele and UEA for any of UCL, Newcastle or Barts were they to allow me to re-apply)

But Ideally and 4 from: Peninsula, UCL, Southampton, Newcastle, Barts, Keele and UEA. In that order

As lekky said you need to be entered as a private candidate through your school, id you don not want to re-enroll. (I self taught most of A2, so i did not re-enroll.)
vas876
Your BMAT and UKCAT from last year are now pretty much irrelevant.

If you were to achieve a similar UKCAT Score, that would give your application a boost that it definitely needs as a re-sitter.

Personally I would completely forget about your 4th A2, leave it at a B.
Are any of your results more than 20 marks from the A?

Retaking exams in only three A Levels will maximise your chances of securing AAA.

It is extenuating but as neither your school nor the exam boards were made aware of it during the examination period, i don't think it counts any more.

If this was my application Without hesitation I would apply to Peninsula, Liverpool, Keele and UEA. (and I would substitute Keele and UEA for any of UCL, Newcastle or Barts were they to allow me to re-apply)

But Ideally and 4 from: Peninsula, UCL, Southampton, Newcastle, Barts, Keele and UEA. In that order

As lekky said you need to be entered as a private candidate through your school, id you don not want to re-enroll. (I self taught most of A2, so i did not re-enroll.)

Southampton? I don't think my application qualifies to resit there does it?

None of my exams is more than 20 marks from the A, is that significant?

I understand what you're saying about last year's UKCAT and BMAT, I do intend to pay particular attention to these parts of my application and would hope to perform to a similar standard... if not improve. Gah. There's so much riding on it really.

Yes, I'll resit as a private candidate and self teaching is my plan too. Who does the reference /predicted grades thing in these circumstances?

I've so much to learn and little time to learn it.
ImWithTheBand
Southampton? I don't think my application qualifies to resit there does it?

None of my exams is more than 20 marks from the A, is that significant?

I understand what you're saying about last year's UKCAT and BMAT, I do intend to pay particular attention to these parts of my application and would hope to perform to a similar standard... if not improve. Gah. There's so much riding on it really.

Yes, I'll resit as a private candidate and self teaching is my plan too. Who does the reference /predicted grades thing in these circumstances?

I've so much to learn and little time to learn it.

LOL I meant liverpool

Get the same person who did it last time to do it again. (reference and predicted grades)

Well if there were any more than 20 marks away, id not boather.

How many marks were each from the A?
Oh and Vas876, I meant to say thanks!
vas876
LOL I meant liverpool

Get the same person who did it last time to do it again. (reference and predicted grades)

6, 7, 10, 18

Interestingly, the one that is 18 away is the one that's most likely to move up to an A in my opinion. But we'll see.
I can't get the same person to do my grade predictions and reference this year -- retired.
vas876
LOL I meant liverpool

Hey my chemistry's 50 UMS away from an A, so should I not bother resitting?

My maths is just 18 UMS away, I think I can get that up easily.
Darthdevidem
Hey my chemistry's 50 UMS away from an A, so should I not bother resitting?

My maths is just 18 UMS away, I think I can get that up easily.

50 ums marks is quite a mountain. I think only you know whether it's do-able for YOU. The very best of luck with it, if you do decide to go for it. The very best of luck with it, if you do decide to go for it.

Latest

Trending

Trending