The Student Room Group

Parents, especially dad are driving me crazy. May do something drastic(Long Post)

Ok well...First of all, most people here would probably not understand the exact situation I'm in because I live in India..and well this is how things work here..I do have a part-time job but it's nowhere near enough for me to move out, part-time jobs in India pay very less and there's no better job I can get at the moment because I'm in university. And since uni is in the same city where I live, I live at home with my parents and sister. (which is common in India).
So yeah...I am at university and am doing a Bachelors in Commerce course..in my final year. I do hope to come to the UK for my Masters next year. I was also, till a month ago, pursuing my Chartered Accountancy(CA) qualification. I never really enjoyed the CA course and since I had a backup at uni, I told my parents that I wanted to leave it. They were very unsupportive at the time and tried to get me to carry on with it. In their eyes, just a B.Com degree isn't enough to get a good job. Well, it isn't, but it's not all I'm going to do. It's just the stepping stone for a Masters and then a good job. I've explained that to my dad loads of times but he just doesn't seem to understand. My parents say that I don't care for them cos I don't 'value their opinion'.
Ever since I've left the course a month ago, there has been absolutely no support from my parents. I mean, I know some of you will say I should have firm belief that I'm doing the right thing and I do, but it does get hard at times. I don't expect my parents to be overjoyed at my decision and to praise me lavishly, but I also don't expect them to tell me on an almost daily basis that I'm not going to do anything worthwhile in life. My dad told me the other day that he can't support me throughout my life. When I told him I didn't expect him to support me, he told me not to back-answer him..wtf?
They've taken away the car(he said when you were doing your CA, you deserved the car, now you don't). I don't earn any more , so I have to literally beg them for money when I want to go out. I told them I want to learn the drums, my dad says " Oh so now you expect me to buy you a ******* drum set, is it? What are you going to be, a ******* drummer?" I have enrolled to volunteer at an NGO(which doesn't pay me anything but it's just to keep myself busy and to help society) ..my dad is unsupportive of that as well. He just told me half an hour ago that he didn't expect me to do anything in life. He asked me why I'd been sitting at home the whole weekend, I said it's cos I wanted to! I mean, am I 15 years old to be asked why I did things? He asked me why I didn't go to the gym..I said I went four times last week when you were away..he says..don't show me that ****** attitude and talk to me properly.
My mum is really scared of my dad. She is worried as well that I'm not doing anything 'worthwhile' in life...though she doesn't say it in as many words. However, her worry for me plus the fear of my dad leads her to say some pretty nasty things to me as well. They both want me to do 'what they want' and not what I want.
It's driving me crazy. Today what my dad said really affeceted me. I'm trying to think of other things and have a bit of self-belief. I don't believe what they say is true, but it's just the way they say it and the things they say that really affect me. I just had 3 sleeping pills which will not kill me I know(I'm too scared to kill myself), I don't know if I'll do anything more drastic tomorrow.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sometimes, I feel like I'm a jew and my dad is hitler. I don't think he's ever been proud of me.
Reply 2
When I told him I didn't expect him to support me, he told me not to back-answer him..wtf?

the indian way of saying 'omg hes got a point, i better shut him up and show authority'
confusedperson
Sometimes, I feel like I'm a jew and my dad is hitler. I don't think he's ever been proud of me.

:lol: you're just gonna have to save up like mad and move out ( get 2 jobs?) or tell them you're really depressed and you can't handle the idiocy anymore.
Reply 4
would really really appreciate a few more replies ..i'm on the edge..
Reply 5
Then.. jump out the car? :ahee:

Spoiler

Reply 6
confusedperson
Ok well...First of all, most people here would probably not understand the exact situation I'm in because I live in India..and well this is how things work here..I do have a part-time job but it's nowhere near enough for me to move out, part-time jobs in India pay very less and there's no better job I can get at the moment because I'm in university. And since uni is in the same city where I live, I live at home with my parents and sister. (which is common in India).
So yeah...I am at university and am doing a Bachelors in Commerce course..in my final year. I do hope to come to the UK for my Masters next year. I was also, till a month ago, pursuing my Chartered Accountancy(CA) qualification. I never really enjoyed the CA course and since I had a backup at uni, I told my parents that I wanted to leave it. They were very unsupportive at the time and tried to get me to carry on with it. In their eyes, just a B.Com degree isn't enough to get a good job. Well, it isn't, but it's not all I'm going to do. It's just the stepping stone for a Masters and then a good job. I've explained that to my dad loads of times but he just doesn't seem to understand. My parents say that I don't care for them cos I don't 'value their opinion'.
Ever since I've left the course a month ago, there has been absolutely no support from my parents. I mean, I know some of you will say I should have firm belief that I'm doing the right thing and I do, but it does get hard at times. I don't expect my parents to be overjoyed at my decision and to praise me lavishly, but I also don't expect them to tell me on an almost daily basis that I'm not going to do anything worthwhile in life. My dad told me the other day that he can't support me throughout my life. When I told him I didn't expect him to support me, he told me not to back-answer him..wtf?
They've taken away the car(he said when you were doing your CA, you deserved the car, now you don't). I don't earn any more , so I have to literally beg them for money when I want to go out. I told them I want to learn the drums, my dad says " Oh so now you expect me to buy you a ******* drum set, is it? What are you going to be, a ******* drummer?" I have enrolled to volunteer at an NGO(which doesn't pay me anything but it's just to keep myself busy and to help society) ..my dad is unsupportive of that as well. He just told me half an hour ago that he didn't expect me to do anything in life. He asked me why I'd been sitting at home the whole weekend, I said it's cos I wanted to! I mean, am I 15 years old to be asked why I did things? He asked me why I didn't go to the gym..I said I went four times last week when you were away..he says..don't show me that ****** attitude and talk to me properly.
My mum is really scared of my dad. She is worried as well that I'm not doing anything 'worthwhile' in life...though she doesn't say it in as many words. However, her worry for me plus the fear of my dad leads her to say some pretty nasty things to me as well. They both want me to do 'what they want' and not what I want.
It's driving me crazy. Today what my dad said really affeceted me. I'm trying to think of other things and have a bit of self-belief. I don't believe what they say is true, but it's just the way they say it and the things they say that really affect me. I just had 3 sleeping pills which will not kill me I know(I'm too scared to kill myself), I don't know if I'll do anything more drastic tomorrow.

I know what you mean- it's nothing to get suicidal about and its really common with Indian and Pakistani parents. They want to assert their authority and get proper pissed when they get proven wrong and try to say stuff like "Don't answer back", "You don't listen to us, that's why you'll fail etc." but you shouldn't get too worried. For the moment if you have the neccesaary finances for your education, do what you wish and when you get a job in a couple of years, you'd be able to move out.
Reply 7
Inzamam99
I know what you mean- it's nothing to get suicidal about and its really common with Indian and Pakistani parents. They want to assert their authority and get proper pissed when they get proven wrong and try to say stuff like "Don't answer back", "You don't listen to us, that's why you'll fail etc." but you shouldn't get too worried. For the moment if you have the neccesaary finances for your education, do what you wish and when you get a job in a couple of years, you'd be able to move out.

do you know how hard it is to live in a house where you're seen as nothing but a failure? where your parents say you're going to be on the streets? where anything you want to do, you need your parents 'permission' and they ridicule everything you want to do?
Oh no don't kill yourself cos otherwise later on you won't have the chance to prove them wrong!! Man up!! :mad:
You're threatening to commit suicide because you're unhappy with your parents? Sheesh, sounds like a tourism advert for Bridgend
TheMeister
You're threatening to commit suicide because you're unhappy with your parents? Sheesh, sounds like a tourism advert for Bridgend

I am not threatening to commit suicide. I am just saying it is getting increasingly hard to live like this everyday and if things don't get better soon, I may end up doing something drastic. it's really getting me down
confusedperson
do you know how hard it is to live in a house where you're seen as nothing but a failure? where your parents say you're going to be on the streets? where anything you want to do, you need your parents 'permission' and they ridicule everything you want to do?

Yes. The first two are present but not THAT present- my parents are OK on that regard in the context of the usual Asian parent. The last question definitely- all the time.
TheMeister

:rofl:

Anyway OP, tl; dr.
I read the sentence in bold though and this told me everything I needed to know. :awesome:

Move out/put up with it until you can move out.
Beat up your dad...then he won't give you anymore ****. :P
I don't know if you guys think I'm joking or whether you just enjoy being inconsiderate. I'm in serious **** here, I'm feeling terrible, I need some genuine advice.
It's a very difficult situation. All you can really do is try and save up to move out or find a way to focus on what you wanna do and block out anything they say. Zone out if they say horrible things to you. Do you have anything like counselling services out there or anything where you could get away from it all and talk to someone about it?

Please don't take sleeping pills like that. You may become addicted to them depending on what's in them and it's not gonna achieve anything by overdosing.
hannah_dru
It's a very difficult situation. All you can really do is try and save up to move out or find a way to focus on what you wanna do and block out anything they say. Zone out if they say horrible things to you. Do you have anything like counselling services out there or anything where you could get away from it all and talk to someone about it?

Please don't take sleeping pills like that. You may become addicted to them depending on what's in them and it's not gonna achieve anything by overdosing.

i think i am becoming addicted to them. Dad wants me to do exactly what he wants in life and if I don't , I'm 'disrespecting him and going to do nothing wortwhile in life'.
Also it's the kind of language he uses. When I said I wanted to learn the drums, he says 'So you want to become a ******* drummer then? I bet you expect me to buy you a ******* drum set now'.
Reply 18
Show him some stats on the jobs you want after your masters.

Then, everytime he talks about how you're a failure in life make sure he knows he'll get nothing from your 'failure' career. No money or care in his old age if he treats you like dirt now.

Also, if you're not all that comfortable in your living conditions, remind your father that he's not had great success in life.

Hmmm, thinking about it, maybe not. I don't really know about asian family dynamics actually. Those sort of things work in my house cus we all vent everything, maybe have a ight then get on fine the next day. Sounds like your problems run deeper than that.

Infact, just ignore this post. :ninja:
confusedperson
i think i am becoming addicted to them. Dad wants me to do exactly what he wants in life and if I don't , I'm 'disrespecting him and going to do nothing wortwhile in life'.

Put them in the bin or somewhere where you can't get to them. Disrespect him then if it's not what you want to do. You can't force yourself to do what he wants and although its very tough with some cultures, you do have your own life to lead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending