The Student Room Group

Geography Applicants for Entry 2011!

I thought I would start this thread for everyone who wants to study geograpy next year !

So here goes

1) what subjects are you currently studying?
2) what degree are you considering? (human, physical , both Bsc/Ba/Msci)
3) where are you applying?

Hopefully we can all help eachother out ...
personal statements, what we thought of the unis and courses etc..

Here are my answers :smile:

Biology, Geograpy, Philosophy and Ethics (also have Chemistry at AS)
I would love to do a human geography degree but would be happy with just geography!
Thinking about Bristol, Exeter, Reading, Southampton and UWE or Bath Spa or Swansea aswell haha so I will have to lower it down !

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good luck!
I applied to Edinburgh, KCL, Bristol, Manchester and Sheffield and got offers from all (ex Bristol) with AS Grades ABBBC.
Everyone at my college had an offer from Manc and Sheff a week after applying, safe back up options if you need one :smile:
Reply 2
1) Goegraphy, Environmental Studies, Biology(A level) + PE AS, dropping PE to take up World Development :smile:

Got ABBC at AS

2) Want to do human geography, but may apply for International Development at UEA

3) not sure yet :s-smilie: UEA, Aber? going to look around a few October half term :smile:
Reply 3

1) im doing geography, maths and french at advanced higher. I did Maths, english, french, geography and history for higher, got AABBB (although my appeal to get another A looks hopeful).
2) physical :-)
3) thinking about edinburgh, glasgow, dundee, exeter and southampton. (obv, need to cut it down a bit :-P).

im also not 100% sure whether to go for geography yet or not.
Reply 4
1) For 6th year I've taken Advanced Geography and Maths and crashed Higher Physics.
2) Physical Geography, maybe meteorology or something. Technically wanting to do an Earth Science degree but y'know, it's geography related.
3) Applying in Scotland only I think, Edinburgh or Glasgow probs.
Cole92
I thought I would start this thread for everyone who wants to study geograpy next year !

So here goes

Hopefully we can all help eachother out ...
personal statements, what we thought of the unis and courses etc..

Here are my answers :smile:

Biology, Geograpy, Philosophy and Ethics (also have Chemistry at AS)
I would love to do a human geography degree but would be happy with just geography!
Thinking about Bristol, Exeter, Reading, Southampton and UWE or Bath Spa or Swansea aswell haha so I will have to lower it down !

any info about southampton ild be happy to help im doing the BA now- will be starting my final year soon :smile:
Reply 6
I'm studying biology, geography, chemistry and history as - got AAAC, dropping history or environmental studies probs
physical, or Msci
southampton, sussex, oxford, bristol, keele

having some reservations lately though, to apply for medicine or geography. (big differnece I know! and now there's no time left:frown:)
Reply 7
Geography, ICT, Maths and Economics
I got AAABB at AS and I'm going to be dropping economics this year

Geography BA

I like the look of Durham, Leicester, Lancaster, Edinburgh and maybe Sheffield /Birmingham/ Nottingham not sure yet!
Reply 8
International Baccalaureate

HL - Geography, Chemistry, Biology
SL - Maths, German, English

Not sure whether to go for BA or BSc

Durham, Southampton, UCL, Bristol, Leicester, Nottingham and Birmingham all look pretty good to me right now :smile:

and Gemma2010 you are in exactly my shoes. I like medicine and I think i'd do well in it but at the same time I feel like it'd really excel in Geography and its something i've always wanted to do...have to make a choice real quick :/
Reply 9
1) Studying Geography, Chemistry, Physics and Gen. Studies (dropped maths this summer)
2) Physical geography (also applied for one Geo/Gel)
3) Sheffield, Manchester (geo/gel and bsc) Leeds and (York?)
Reply 10
1) I am doing the European Baccalaureate, so I am studying a range of subjects.
2) Geography BA
3) Realistically UCL, Leeds, King`s, Nottingham and Newcastle, but my dream would be LSE.
1) geography, psychology and english combined :smile: and I dropped sociology yesterday
AS results: AABB
2) still undecided between BA and BSC
3) been looking at Nottingham, Birmingham, Liverpool, Leeds, Aber, Exeter, Manchester :smile:
Reply 12
anyone considering doing a joint honours degree with Geography? i.e. Geography with Business? Geography with Management?
I've just been accepted into the University of Southampton for 2011 to do a Geography BA :smile: At AS I did geography, history, french and maths, and got AAAC, then dropped maths and got AAB in my A2's :biggrin:
When I applied I was rejected by Bristol and Sheffield but got offers from Reading, Soton and Exeter. Just so everyone who is applying this year knows, it is much better if you apply earlier so that is definitely what I recommend. Also, make sure you have a good personal statement. There are hundreds of help sheets and stuff, but the advice I got from my teacher was pretty useless and I made sure I got people who had experience with personal statements to look through it with me instead.
Good luck to you all!
@HOWELLDAVIES
I've just been accepted into the University of Southampton for 2011 to do a Geography BA :smile: At AS I did geography, history, french and maths, and got AAAC, then dropped maths and got AAB in my A2's :biggrin:
When I applied I was rejected by Bristol and Sheffield but got offers from Reading, Soton and Exeter. Just so everyone who is applying this year knows, it is much better if you apply earlier so that is definitely what I recommend. Also, make sure you have a good personal statement. There are hundreds of help sheets and stuff, but the advice I got from my teacher was pretty useless and I made sure I got people who had experience with personal statements to look through it with me instead.
Good luck to you all!

yay welcome to southampton even if you wont be here until next year, your have a great time, and sound advice :smile:
nikki_louise
yay welcome to southampton even if you wont be here until next year, your have a great time, and sound advice :smile:

Oooh okay :biggrin:
It seems really nice there so it should be good!
Thanks
Reply 16
Currently studying Geography, Biology, French. Just dropped Physics after AS.
I'm considering a Geography/Earth Science/Environmental Science degree.. Leaning towards the Physical side of Geography..

And I'm not too sure on where I will be applying, want to go towards London, but so far have looked at Kingston, Northampton, Oxford Brookes, Keele, Brighton.

Anybody similar?
Reply 17
Bee0076
Currently studying Geography, Biology, French. Just dropped Physics after AS.
I'm considering a Geography/Earth Science/Environmental Science degree.. Leaning towards the Physical side of Geography..

And I'm not too sure on where I will be applying, want to go towards London, but so far have looked at Kingston, Northampton, Oxford Brookes, Keele, Brighton.

Anybody similar?

Yep, I did Geog, Physics, Biology and Chemistry at AS, just dropped Chemistry.
Want to do Earth Science/Envn Earth Science :smile:
I'm looking at UEA, Durham, Aber... Would like some other places too though :o:
I'm studying Geography, English Lang/Lit and Business Studies. Was doing Maths but I've dropped it, as you'll see from my grades :wink:
AS: A,B,C,E :/
Hoping to do Geography BA, but a bit concerned about the competition, as at almost all the open days I've gone to, and from what people have written above, I'm at the lower end, grades-wise,
Looking at Birmingham, Keele, Leicster, Coventry and probably Lancaster. But having a major dilemma over whether to put Lancaster or Sheffield.
Any advice? Or anyone similar?
Good Luck to everyone :smile:
Reply 19
GeorgieGee
I'm studying Geography, English Lang/Lit and Business Studies. Was doing Maths but I've dropped it, as you'll see from my grades :wink:
AS: A,B,C,E :/
Hoping to do Geography BA, but a bit concerned about the competition, as at almost all the open days I've gone to, and from what people have written above, I'm at the lower end, grades-wise,
Looking at Birmingham, Keele, Leicster, Coventry and probably Lancaster. But having a major dilemma over whether to put Lancaster or Sheffield.
Any advice? Or anyone similar?
Good Luck to everyone :smile:

Guess it depends what you want from your Uni experience really. Lancaster and Sheffield are both quite good, but from what I hear Sheffield has the livelier nightlife etc. if that's something you're into. However most of the Uni's you've got down there are really respectable good ones, don't know much about Coventry, but that's just me, i have no idea whether it is actually a great uni or a bad one.

Decisions! Decisions! :eek3: :woo:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending