Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Americans applying to university in the UK

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayjaybird33)
    Ahh waiting on my reference and new ACT scores are giving me too much time to think!!! I'm starting to doubt my choices...

I've got
    UCL
    Edinburgh
    Queen Mary
    Essex
    York
    all for linguistics. Are there any schools that I might have over looked? Esp. in the London area.
    King's College London? :p: Mauahahaha.
    Although, they don't have a course that's called 'linguistics' - as far as I'm aware they have English Language and Communications which seems to revolve around linguistics :o:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    King's College London? :p: Mauahahaha.
    Although, they don't have a course that's called 'linguistics' - as far as I'm aware they have English Language and Communications which seems to revolve around linguistics :o:

Ahhh! You're right it is a linguistics course(basically) ! :woo: Sneaky KCL really sneaky.

Edit : took out Edinburgh.. Wasn't to sold on Scotland tbh.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh! You're right it is a linguistics course(basically) ! :woo: Sneaky KCL really sneaky.

hmm now which school to boot out in its favor?? York? Queen Mary?
    Essex has to stay though.
    Hmmm on what basis would you boot it out? Whether it has a good UK reputation, international reputation? First decide which (two) are your least favourite, maybe? Then look at the course at each one and decide which you like least :p: and then look at the other factors surrounding it..

EDIT: I see you took out Edinburgh :p: Fair enough!
    • 45 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam0311)
    Are you applying for the foundation course at Durham? They pretty much have the best deal. Unlike most schools offering the foundation year, Durham guarantees entry into a degree simply by passing the foudnation year. It isn't like King's college, or basically any other uni for that matter, where you have to get an A in everything to move on. The foundation year at Durham is simply added onto the degree. So you apply to Biology with foundation year. If you get an offer, you are already into the degree, all you have to do is pass. There are a couple people in the Durham University subforum that are doing biology with foundation year for 2010.
    I know, i emailed them and they want me to apply to the Foundation course, however, i still kinda dont get it. They didnt tell me what their requirements for the foundation year and what to choose on my UCAS?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ahh hihi everyone, I'm an American as well.
    Except I'm obviously not nearly as prepared as most of you- I haven't written my personal statement yet. But I plan on working on it this week, and hopefully finishing it this weekend. Then hm. Yes! And I still need recs.

Ah well.
    I'm looking to apply to Edinburgh and UCL for Scandinavian Studies - Norwegian (:heart:), and maybe Scandi/Linguistics for Edinburgh. I'm not quite sure yet, and I will also be applying to a handful of US schools that offer SS.

Buuut, I'm a bit worried. Should I apply for the foundation year for UCL? I have a 2170 (740 CR/710 M/710 W) in the SAT (retaking it soon, hoping to make closer to a 2300) and a 5/5/5 (Euro History, US history, Eng Lang) for AP exams last year. But don't they prefer 4 AP's? I'm taking like 4 or 5 more AP tests this may, but AGH. Yea. Maybe I should do Scandinavian Studies and History.
    Oh right.
    Also, do you guys think I should submit a Subject test for French?
    Not sure.
    Agh.
    Alright.
    Nice to know I'm not alone! :lazy:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catsss)
    Except I'm obviously not nearly as prepared as most of you- I haven't written my personal statement yet. But I plan on working on it this week, and hopefully finishing it this weekend. Then hm. Yes! And I still need recs.

Ah well.
    I'm looking to apply to Edinburgh and UCL for Scandinavian Studies - Norwegian (:heart:), and maybe Scandi/Linguistics for Edinburgh. I'm not quite sure yet, and I will also be applying to a handful of US schools that offer SS.

Buuut, I'm a bit worried. Should I apply for the foundation year for UCL? I have a 2170 (740 CR/710 M/710 W) in the SAT (retaking it soon, hoping to make closer to a 2300) and a 5/5/5 (Euro History, US history, Eng Lang) for AP exams last year. But don't they prefer 4 AP's? I'm taking like 4 or 5 more AP tests this may, but AGH. Yea. Maybe I should do Scandinavian Studies and History.
    Oh right.
    Not sure.
    Agh.
    Alright.
    I should probably go to sleep but I've been lurking around here all day trying to see if my presence made them look at my Personal Statment anyfaster (its been ONE WEEK!) ughh.. Good thing though.

I wouldn't apply for a foundation course UCL only wants you to do that if you don't have any AP's, SAT's or ACT's.
    You should get in for sure if you're taking 4/5 APs this year.

How the H.E double hockey sticks did you get a 5 in Lang and US history!?! You wanna know how many people at my school got a 5 in US? Zero. Yup 0 out of 120. And on Lang only 2 out of 80 got it. (This is probably because we have block scheduling, so you only have the class for one semester.)

Also. I would submitt every qualification that you have.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kristinaalovesu)
    I know, i emailed them and they want me to apply to the Foundation course, however, i still kinda dont get it. They didnt tell me what their requirements for the foundation year and what to choose on my UCAS?
    That's the point of foundation. There really isn't much involved with requirements. Because the whole point of foundation is for people who don't have the requirements. A solid PS and a high school diploma, alone, would put you in.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Edit : took out Edinburgh.. Wasn't to sold on Scotland tbh.
    But your sold on essex?:confused:
    • 45 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's the point of foundation. There really isn't much involved with requirements. Because the whole point of foundation is for people who don't have the requirements. A solid PS and a high school diploma, alone, would put you in.
    Holy coooooooooooow. Wow! i did not know that until now! What if i have the SAT and ACT scores?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catsss)

Ah well.

Oh right.
    Not sure.
    Agh.
    Alright.
    Ahhh! Another Scand Studies person!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kristinaalovesu)
    Holy coooooooooooow. Wow! i did not know that until now! What if i have the SAT and ACT scores?
    Then you have them. But foundation programs in general are meant for those who don't have anything. So I guess if they had any question about admitting you, having the ACT/SAT would seal the deal.

Write a solid PS and you should be good to go.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    But your sold on essex?:confused:

I know I know! But hey, their linguistics program is actually pretty good and I know I can get an unconditional from them where as in all the others I'm gonna get conditional based on my APs this year. And lets say come test day I crack under all the pressure, go crazy and bomb the tests, I'll atleast have a back up plan! :o:

It's my saftey school
    • 45 followers

ReputationRep:
    Then you have them. But foundation programs in general are meant for those who don't have anything. So I guess if they had any question about admitting you, having the ACT/SAT would seal the deal.

Write a solid PS and you should be good to go.
    Great! Thank you very much for the info.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I should probably go to sleep but I've been lurking around here all day trying to see if my presence made them look at my Personal Statment anyfaster (its been ONE WEEK!) ughh.. Good thing though.

I wouldn't apply for a foundation course UCL only wants you to do that if you don't have any AP's, SAT's or ACT's.
    You should get in for sure if you're taking 4/5 APs this year.

How the H.E double hockey sticks did you get a 5 in Lang and US history!?! You wanna know how many people at my school got a 5 in US? Zero. Yup 0 out of 120. And on Lang only 2 out of 80 got it. (This is probably because we have block scheduling, so you only have the class for one semester.)

Also. I would submitt every qualification that you have.
    Alriight, thanks for the advice!

And loool, I was very well prepared? I'm not sure how to respond, my teachers were both excellent and I had kept up with the reading and tests all year in APUSH, so when studying time came around it was just a question of reviewing and making sure I was familiar with all the time periods and specific cases, and hm. Was fairly easy after that. And oh dear, we do block scheduling, but we get them year round. I can imagine it being much harder if you only have it for half the year. I don't think I could have if that that had been the case.

And oh my jesus i am so excited to submit everything :eek3:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How long is you guy's references. My teacher whipped it up in 15 minutes today during class and I think its too short. It's like 3/4's a page double spaced... O.o
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    How long is you guy's references. My teacher whipped it up in 15 minutes today during class and I think its too short. It's like 3/4's a page double spaced... O.o
    3/4 of a page DOUBLE SPACED?? That does sound a bit short I was never shown mine, apparently a lot of colleges have a policy not to show you your personal statement, and I'm not aware of how I can have a look at it, though my teacher did scroll through slightly whilst I was sat there, which is why I think I can give you some input :p: - It wasn't double spaced and it was just under a page long.. I think they're usually about 3/4 of a page (normal spaced), I saw one of my mate's from another college/school and theirs was of around that length hope this helps
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    3/4 of a page DOUBLE SPACED?? That does sound a bit short I was never shown mine, apparently a lot of colleges have a policy not to show you your personal statement, and I'm not aware of how I can have a look at it, though my teacher did scroll through slightly whilst I was sat there, which is why I think I can give you some input :p: - It wasn't double spaced and it was just under a page long.. I think they're usually about 3/4 of a page (normal spaced), I saw one of my mate's from another college/school and theirs was of around that length hope this helps
    Can't you go on UCAS and look at it? I'm applying as an indivdual so I'm typing it in myself..

Seeing as I had to re-write half of it for her and then hand it back to her so she could fix her mistakes/redudancies. Maybe I should add too it (all she talked about was how I am a good student.) and give it back to her to proof?

I really didn't want this person to write it but my top reference choice might not have it done by the 27th (that's when UCAS changes the policy for people applying as indivduals.)
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can't you go on UCAS and look at it? I'm applying as an indivdual so I'm typing it in myself..

Seeing as I had to re-write half of it for her and then hand it back to her so she could fix her mistakes/redudancies. Maybe I should add too it (all she talked about was how I am a good student.) and give it back to her to proof?

I really didn't want this person to write it but my top reference choice might not have it done by the 27th (that's when UCAS changes the policy for people applying as indivduals.)
    Isn't it your personal statement you type in yourself?? When I completed my UCAS section there was no section for me to access my reference! And that's a bit odd, if you're typing it in yourself (your reference) and making changes then it's hardly your teacher's opinion :p: maybe the international application thing works slightly differently..
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    Isn't it your personal statement you type in yourself?? When I completed my UCAS section there was no section for me to access my reference! And that's a bit odd, if you're typing it in yourself (your reference) and making changes then it's hardly your teacher's opinion :p: maybe the international application thing works slightly differently..
    I think it's different for international students. Like, I can see everything from the reference to my predicted scores. But I haven't changed anything. Mainly because she has yet to put it in! And I'm slightly anxious as I gave her my password and login and don't want her snooping around.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)

Probably so..

haha I'm not going to change what she said.. I just hope my other reference gets to me in time so I don't have to use this one..

She typed it up on a piece of paper and I'm just going to copy what she said into the box. I didn't want her to have access to my UCAS app. :p:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 9, 2014
New on TSR

GCSE English mock revision

Revise together & check out past papers

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.