The Student Room Group

Americans applying to university in the UK

Scroll to see replies

So all I need before I submit is my new ACT scores...
I don't think I can wait!!!
I know you're all probably tired of hearing this but I am extremely fed up with the teacher I asked to do my recommendation. I was supposed to have sent everything by the 13th and now, it's likely that won't happen. We have September Break this next week so I can't another teacher to do it for me before it's over. I'm so frustrated right now. I wish she would have just said, "hey, I don't want to do it" rather than promising me and telling me everyday that she would and then not doing it. It's just unprofessional and I'm really disappointed, especially since she had about 4 weeks' notice by now. :frown:
EcstaticMuse
I know you're all probably tired of hearing this but I am extremely fed up with the teacher I asked to do my recommendation. I was supposed to have sent everything by the 13th and now, it's likely that won't happen. We have September Break this next week so I can't another teacher to do it for me before it's over. I'm so frustrated right now. I wish she would have just said, "hey, I don't want to do it" rather than promising me and telling me everyday that she would and then not doing it. It's just unprofessional and I'm really disappointed, especially since she had about 4 weeks' notice by now. :frown:

Yeah that's a huge hassle. Tell her you have a time limit. Send her flowers, thanking her for writing the recommendation. Then she'll be obliged to do it.:biggrin:
adam0311
Yeah that's a huge hassle. Tell her you have a time limit. Send her flowers, thanking her for writing the recommendation. Then she'll be obliged to do it.:biggrin:

It is! I've done everything I can. I feel like I made a mistake in choosing her. I'm much better friends with my AP U.S. History teacher from last year- why didn't I choose him? Never too late, though, I suppose. I was honest with her today and it seemed like she didn't even care, which is weird because I'm always contributing in her class and get good grades on work (It's H. Latin IV) and she's always been so nice to me. I've known her for two years now! Oh well. It's more frustrating than anything. I'll try that, a thank you card, or something. I was hoping to send that after the letter was in but maybe it'll push her to actually do it!
Reply 264
Maybe you should try to get your APUSH teacher to do it, then? You might have to wait longer, but it's better to have to wait a couple more weeks than another month with that teacher. That's extremely unprofessional, especially given the amount of time you've given her. However, she might have a lot of work/grading/etc. that's bogging her down, or outside circumstances that are cutting into her time (personal problems?). Buuut, more likely than not, she's just being lazy and irresponsible. I'm sorry you have to go through with that, that really sucks, especially since everything else is good to go.
catsss
Maybe you should try to get your APUSH teacher to do it, then? You might have to wait longer, but it's better to have to wait a couple more weeks than another month with that teacher. That's extremely unprofessional, especially given the amount of time you've given her. However, she might have a lot of work/grading/etc. that's bogging her down, or outside circumstances that are cutting into her time (personal problems?). Buuut, more likely than not, she's just being lazy and irresponsible. I'm sorry you have to go through with that, that really sucks, especially since everything else is good to go.

I completely agree. And I actually did think about that, her having to grade things until I realised that we keep all of our work and get checkmarks, so she never really has to grade anything except tests, which are run through the scantron machine. It's ok and I appreciate everyone putting up with my frustrated self! I sent my APUSH teacher an email and he said he would do it before Break and have it in for me by the weekend.

It's a completely different situation with him because he knows how important this is to me and I'm guessing she just doesn't. I'll have a talk with her tomorrow and explain everything. I'm sure she'll be relieved she doesn't have to worry about it anymore! :p:
Reply 266
I think having an AP teacher write your reference is the best thing to do, since that is what UK universities care most about your performance in.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 267
Any people applying for postgraduate studies?
I'm applying to Bristol, York, Aberdeen, UKC, and maybe Nottingham for an MA in Medieval Studies.

I just have no idea what the admission rates are like for postgraduate students and my GPA isn't too stellar.

It's so hard not being over there to tour! I only toured one, UKC. I like the school itself but the campus was ehh. To be honest, if I am going to spend that much money on grad school in the UK I want some hallowed halls.
I'm just afraid I am going to choose a uni and be miserable because it isn't what I expected.
EcstaticMuse
It is! I've done everything I can. I feel like I made a mistake in choosing her. I'm much better friends with my AP U.S. History teacher from last year- why didn't I choose him? Never too late, though, I suppose. I was honest with her today and it seemed like she didn't even care, which is weird because I'm always contributing in her class and get good grades on work (It's H. Latin IV) and she's always been so nice to me. I've known her for two years now! Oh well. It's more frustrating than anything. I'll try that, a thank you card, or something. I was hoping to send that after the letter was in but maybe it'll push her to actually do it!

Maybe just ask the APUSH teacher?

From what I've seen in last year's threads, it seems as if offers won't even start to come out until mid-october at the earliest. So while there is a time constraint, it's not a huge rush.
Just got an offer from Australian National University. Super quick response. I wish the UK schools were that quick. This wait is terrible.
For students applying as an indivdual you might want to have your reference in by the 27th though because they are going to change the system.
Can't remember what it entails but its on the UCAS website.
adam0311
Just got an offer from Australian National University. Super quick response. I wish the UK schools were that quick. This wait is terrible.

Congrats!!! :biggrin:
Reply 272
Writing my personal statement, agh. And congrats about the offer! (:
(edited 13 years ago)
jayjaybird33
For students applying as an indivdual you might want to have your reference in by the 27th though because they are going to change the system.
Can't remember what it entails but its on the UCAS website.

Yes definetly! Otherwise it is a complete hassle because if you don't get it in by the 27th, then they send an email to the teacher. The teacher then fills out the reference.
EcstaticMuse
Congrats!!! :biggrin:

Thanks!

catsss
And congrats about the offer! (:

Thanks!
Reply 275
adam0311

Do international students get replies earlier than home applicants?? We have to wait till after January ourselves, and it's understandable considering they have so many applications to get through!!
mel0n
Do international students get replies earlier than home applicants?? We have to wait till after January ourselves, and it's understandable considering they have so many applications to get through!!

Yeah pretty much. Internationals are on rolling admissions. They give out responses as soon as they come in. Did you apply to ANU last year?
adam0311
Yeah pretty much. Internationals are on rolling admissions. They give out responses as soon as they come in. Did you apply to ANU last year?

Do Australian unis accept AP's, as well?
EcstaticMuse
Do Australian unis accept AP's, as well?

Mainly the SAT. Melbourne and Sydney, I think, need just one AP plus the SAT. Most of it is based on the SAT since they have a 12 year system, much like the US. I know ANU takes the ACT, but if you use the ACT you need two APs.
(edited 13 years ago)
adam0311
Mainly the SAT. Melbourne and Sydney, I think, need just one AP plus the SAT. Most of it is based on the SAT since they have a 12 year system, much like the US. I know ANU takes the ACT, but if you use the ACT you need two APs.

Oh ok! That's pretty neat. I'm sorry, I know absolutely nothing about Australian education. Probably should, as it'd be smart to apply there.

EDIT: meant to ask, do they have gen ed?
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest