The Student Room Group

Americans applying to university in the UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gurmeet.Kapoor
Kind of related to what cricket123 said...

Do Unis want you to take AP Language...or like can we take 2 years of both( I need two to graduate)...

Like I am taking Spanish II now(sophomore), and I probably can take AP Spanish in Senior year...or shud I take French 1 and 2 for the next two years(shud make the work load a bit low)

Any suggestions?

Just take subjects you're geniunely interested in. Seriously, that's what I did and I had offers from the two unis I'd only dreamed of going to. If you're not interested in Spanish or French, just take the lower language courses and don't kill yourself with the extra work.
Original post by Gurmeet.Kapoor
Kind of related to what cricket123 said...

Do Unis want you to take AP Language...or like can we take 2 years of both( I need two to graduate)...

Like I am taking Spanish II now(sophomore), and I probably can take AP Spanish in Senior year...or shud I take French 1 and 2 for the next two years(shud make the work load a bit low)

Any suggestions?

For Econ in the UK, I don't think it matters very much...... unless you can make an argument in your personal statement about how Spanish (or French) has helped you understand a greater deal of economics. But since that's probably not the case, do what you like.

For the US, however, I would suggest you to take AP Spanish. In a bigger picture, one more AP might not matter much, but it's these individual APs that you collect to improve your application. Plus, to over-analyze things, they might question why you have stopped Spanish midway. You're still young and high school is the time to be frivolous and everything, but it will show greater dedication if stick with AP Spanish than if you start French as a junior. :tongue:

And personally, it's much more useful being able to stutter in Spanish, than being able to count till 10 in both Spanish and French. :wink:
Reply 3962
I'm most likely asking really stupid questions, but to be honest, I have no idea about how the unis in the UK work. I'm not even sure if I even want to study in the UK or go to Canada or Australia, etc. But I think it's always great to have all of the options out there, especially since I'm strongly considering the UK (the woes of wanting to major in the medical field; I don't think I'm ready to relearn all of the scientific terminology in Spanish!).

Does it matter if you haven't taken any Honors courses or APs until junior year, i.e. Does the school take into account that you simply haven't had the option to takes Honors/APs until junior year? My school doesn't offer Honors, period. They also don't allow you to take APs until you're a junior, and steer you away from taking more than two/three per year.

Which school has a strong medical program? I know that Oxford and Cambridge are two extremely prestigious unis, but honestly, I don't think I have a very big chance of getting in.

Do unis in the UK have a preference for SAT over ACT or vice versa?

Which APs or courses would you recommend for someone wanting to study in the medical field in the UK?

I should just apologise for all of the questions here. XD I'm brimming with questions (so I could really pester you guys with more), but at this point, these are the only ones I can think of. I just did my scheduling for classes a few days ago, but we have Add-Drop days where you can switch your schedule around if need be.
Original post by Veneta
I'm most likely asking really stupid questions, but to be honest, I have no idea about how the unis in the UK work. I'm not even sure if I even want to study in the UK or go to Canada or Australia, etc. But I think it's always great to have all of the options out there, especially since I'm strongly considering the UK (the woes of wanting to major in the medical field; I don't think I'm ready to relearn all of the scientific terminology in Spanish!).

Does it matter if you haven't taken any Honors courses or APs until junior year, i.e. Does the school take into account that you simply haven't had the option to takes Honors/APs until junior year? My school doesn't offer Honors, period. They also don't allow you to take APs until you're a junior, and steer you away from taking more than two/three per year.

Which school has a strong medical program? I know that Oxford and Cambridge are two extremely prestigious unis, but honestly, I don't think I have a very big chance of getting in.

Which APs or courses would you recommend for someone wanting to study in the medical field in the UK?

I should just apologise for all of the questions here. XD I'm brimming with questions (so I could really pester you guys with more), but at this point, these are the only ones I can think of. I just did my scheduling for classes a few days ago, but we have Add-Drop days where you can switch your schedule around if need be.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think some UK universities do not consider applicants straight out of high school for medicine. I know the University of Edinburgh doesn't, as seen here. I suggest looking up entry requirements for universities you are interested in, and if there are none specific to medicine, you should contact the undergraduate admissions office to see what they have to say.
Original post by Veneta

I will try to answer to the best of my ability:

I believe the school will only take that into account if it is mentioned in your personal statement. I think your performance on APs, the amount you take, and their relevance to your degree matter more than when you took them.

I wouldn't know specifically but you can always do a little research.
According to http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/universityguide the top 10 this year for medicine are:
1 Oxford
2 Cambridge
3 Edinburgh
4 Dundee
5 UCL
6 Imperial College
7 Leicester
8 Newcastle
8 Peninsula Medical School
10 Nottingham

According to http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Medicine the top 10 this year for medicine are:

1 Oxford
2 Edinburgh
3 University College London
4 Cambridge
5 Imperial College London
6 Queen Mary
7 Birmingham
8 Newcastle
9 Hull-York
10 Dundee

I don't think there is really a preference although some do not accept the ACT...
What you need to do is research the entry requirements for the unis you are interested in. Find the entry requirements by country, pick the US and you will see what standardized test scores they are looking for.

I hope I helped! :smile: Feel free to ask more questions.
Reply 3965
@avash; Ah, that's great that you told me this before I had to find out the hard way. I was thinking that I'd have to do a sort of premed program anyway (or maybe they don't have those in the UK? This just shows how clueless I am, hah).

@cricket; Thank you so much for all the information! And that's actually a great thing about the ACT, that is. I didn't like it much when I took PLAN (practice ACT test) and am aiming towards the SAT anyway. And yes, you were a great help. Thank you to both of you really for responding so quickly. I still have a bit to go before I actually need to start applying anywhere, but it's always helpful to know this stuff beforehand.
Original post by Veneta
@avash; Ah, that's great that you told me this before I had to find out the hard way. I was thinking that I'd have to do a sort of premed program anyway (or maybe they don't have those in the UK? This just shows how clueless I am, hah).

@cricket; Thank you so much for all the information! And that's actually a great thing about the ACT, that is. I didn't like it much when I took PLAN (practice ACT test) and am aiming towards the SAT anyway. And yes, you were a great help. Thank you to both of you really for responding so quickly. I still have a bit to go before I actually need to start applying anywhere, but it's always helpful to know this stuff beforehand.

Although a few medical schools won't accept high school graduates, there are plenty of others that do. When you browse through the university websites, make sure you check the minimum requirements for North American apppicants. Those that don't accept high school diplomas (like University of Edinburgh, as avash21 has mentioned) will state there.

As cricket123 has said, it doesn't matter when you take the AP exams. However, unlike colleges in the States, British universities will not look favourably upon applicants with few AP scores regardless of how many are actually offered in their high schools... it's not that they're less considerate (although I did find the UK application system a little less forgiving) but some schools will simply not have your transcript and your school facts sheet when they consider you as a candidate. This is certainly not the case for universities like Cambridge (they require you to send them a copy of your transcript and a cover sheet), but the other three schools I'd applied to didn't request for a cover sheet... meaning they didn't know how many APs are offered at my high school, how many students take as many (or as few) APs as I did, or what are the average school scores for my AP subjects. Hence, if you truly wish to keep the UK as an option, ignore your school's advice (or tradition, trend, or whatever you might call it) and opt to take as many APs as you think you can handle (in relevant subjects, of course :redface:)

It's great that you're looking at the top of the chart, but you have to be more specific as you get closer to your application. Do you want to live in a city or the countryside? Do you wish to practise medicine, or is a career in research an option? Similarly, do you put much emphasis on the school's current research programs? What would you like to specialize within the field of medicine? All these, along with a billion others, are questions you should consider when you want to narrow down your list of universities. Do note that medicine is very competitive in the UK, even more so for international applicants because the number of places is capped by the British government. You can also only select 4 for your UCAS application, so choose wisely! :wink:

SATs are more commonly accepted.

You will first want to do all the science ones... specifically AP Biology, AP Chemistry and AP Physics. Chemistry is a MUST, and Biology and Physics are often required/suggested. Calculus is a must as well... or at least HIGHLY recommended. Others are what you make of in your personal statement / interview. I've read one that related AP Lit with medicine, although Psych and stats are a lot more common.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3967
Original post by Veneta

To add to all the good advice you've already gotten: medical places in the UK are extremely limited for international students. At the Oxford / Edinburgh road show the Oxford rep said that they they have a government imposed cap of 5, but would take at most 1-2 international students for medicine. The government cap relates to spaces for the clinical part of the training. So, although Oxford may be at the most restrictive end, all of the UK universities will have limits on their international students. You might consider looking at College of Physicians and Surgeons in Ireland, which is very open to international students.

As for tests, they don't care at all about honours courses: what will matter are: 1) national-level tests (for a US student: SAT (some will take ACT), SAT subject tests, and APs); 2) for medicine, experience in medical environments (as a volunteer, junior worker, whatever); 3) personal statement. Other e/c's will matter only to the extent that they demonstrate interest/ability in the subject area. Imo, you will want to have at least 3 APs or SAT subject tests in relevant areas when you apply (so by end of Jr year), and any offer you get will probably be conditional on several more, so you will want to consider what you put down in the way of planned testing for Sr year). Doubling up on an AP / SAT subject test is fine, but be prepared to have a strong range of science / math subjects by the end of Sr year. I would imagine Chem, Bio, and Calc would be essential, but you can look at the various college sites for specifics (they post requirements for A levels; I assume that you've worked out that a 5 on an AP is considered in the neighborhood of an A on an A-level).

Imo, you don't need to worry about the relative rankings of the medical program. They are all approved courses, and the differences between them won't be enough to jeopardize your passing the medical exams.

However, I would also ask why you want to study medicine in the UK. Is it b/c you think you have a better chance of being accepted? (may not be true) b/c you don't want to do 4 years of uni + 4 years of med school? (if so, you might check out 6 year programs in the US & Canada) b/c you want the abroad experience? (if so, have you checked out the requirements for getting licensed to practice medicine in the US if you have a foreign medical degree and/or have you checked out the requirements for getting a work permit if you are a non-national in Europe?). A lot of questions back to you!
Medicine is very competitive for internationals, especially because of the government cap on number of int'l students - I think it's 10% of the home student body can be int'l's at maximum. So if the school take 200, they can take 20 int'l students. But in reality, schools don't always take even that many, like DCDude said.

It's very important to ring and check what qualifications are needed. Many schools will consider American students BUT they may not accept AP chem or AP bio as rigorous enough for entry. This is because the AP's aren't as difficult as a full A-level, and A's are needed on the full A-Level. So you may be required to take IB HL chem and bio (or just one of them. And it must be HL. SL chem/bio also aren't enough). You don't have to take the full IB, but I've seen other North American potential applicants saying they were told AP's weren't enough. It just depends on the individual med school. So absolutely check! But chemistry in some form will be absolutely essential, and biology for many med schools.

As for which med school is the best - if you intend to stay and practice in the UK afterwards, don't worry about prestige. All the med schools are fully accredited and approved, and all of them are good. HOWEVER, they teach in different ways. So you need to know what you're looking for as well as exactly what the requirements are. Do you prefer a really traditional course, or an integrated one, or a mainly PBL one? Early patient contact? Full body dissection? And so on. Read the prospectus's carefully. If you want to go back to the US afterwards, you may be looking for a well known school which is fine, but don't worry about prestige - getting into any medical school is a great achievement

Lastly, remember you also NEED work experience/voluntary work that is medically related wherever possible. I'm not sure how easy it is for US teens to get shadowing placements in hospitals or general practices but try as hard as you can. Nursing homes are a good bet for volunteer work though, as are community projects and charities
Reply 3969
Original post by ofssinfoxes
Although a few medical schools won't accept high school graduates, there are plenty of others that do. When you browse through the university websites, make sure you check the minimum requirements for North American apppicants. Those that don't accept high school diplomas (like University of Edinburgh, as avash21 has mentioned) will state there.

As cricket123 has said, it doesn't matter when you take the AP exams. However, unlike colleges in the States, British universities will not look favourably upon applicants with few AP scores regardless of how many are actually offered in their high schools... it's not that they're less considerate (although I did find the UK application system a little less forgiving) but some schools will simply not have your transcript and your school facts sheet when they consider you as a candidate. This is certainly not the case for universities like Cambridge (they require you to send them a copy of your transcript and a cover sheet), but the other three schools I'd applied to didn't request for a cover sheet... meaning they didn't know how many APs are offered at my high school, how many students take as many (or as few) APs as I did, or what are the average school scores for my AP subjects. Hence, if you truly wish to keep the UK as an option, ignore your school's advice (or tradition, trend, or whatever you might call it) and opt to take as many APs as you think you can handle (in relevant subjects, of course :redface:)

It's great that you're looking at the top of the chart, but you have to be more specific as you get closer to your application. Do you want to live in a city or the countryside? Do you wish to practise medicine, or is a career in research an option? Similarly, do you put much emphasis on the school's current research programs? What would you like to specialize within the field of medicine? All these, along with a billion others, are questions you should consider when you want to narrow down your list of universities. Do note that medicine is very competitive in the UK, even more so for international applicants because the number of places is capped by the British government. You can also only select 4 for your UCAS application, so choose wisely! :wink:

SATs are more commonly accepted.

You will first want to do all the science ones... specifically AP Biology, AP Chemistry and AP Physics. Chemistry is a MUST, and Biology and Physics are often required/suggested. Calculus is a must as well... or at least HIGHLY recommended. Others are what you make of in your personal statement / interview. I've read one that related AP Lit with medicine, although Psych and stats are a lot more common.

Thanks for all of your great help! I almost want to type a whole paragraph about how helpful this information is back at you (I feel like I'm writing so little, heh). Again, thank you. And yeah, I'm doing AP Bio and AP Chem this year I tried to fit in AP Gov, but if everything goes the way I want it, I'm not even going to have a free block. XD And AP Calc is for next year, and if I think I can handle it, I'll try for AP Physics. I despise Physics with a passion, but I've known for a while that if I want to get into a reputable pre-med school in America, I'll have to do at least a year of Physics (or are these just lies?).

And also, thank you for the list of things to consider. I know it's not a full list, but if I do end up staying in America, I'm planning on study abroad anyway. There's a lot to consider, but still, better to consider it now than to panic at the end of my junior year!

Original post by DCDude
To add to all the good advice you've already gotten: medical places in the UK are extremely limited for international students. At the Oxford / Edinburgh road show the Oxford rep said that they they have a government imposed cap of 5, but would take at most 1-2 international students for medicine. The government cap relates to spaces for the clinical part of the training. So, although Oxford may be at the most restrictive end, all of the UK universities will have limits on their international students. You might consider looking at College of Physicians and Surgeons in Ireland, which is very open to international students.

As for tests, they don't care at all about honours courses: what will matter are: 1) national-level tests (for a US student: SAT (some will take ACT), SAT subject tests, and APs); 2) for medicine, experience in medical environments (as a volunteer, junior worker, whatever); 3) personal statement. Other e/c's will matter only to the extent that they demonstrate interest/ability in the subject area. Imo, you will want to have at least 3 APs or SAT subject tests in relevant areas when you apply (so by end of Jr year), and any offer you get will probably be conditional on several more, so you will want to consider what you put down in the way of planned testing for Sr year). Doubling up on an AP / SAT subject test is fine, but be prepared to have a strong range of science / math subjects by the end of Sr year. I would imagine Chem, Bio, and Calc would be essential, but you can look at the various college sites for specifics (they post requirements for A levels; I assume that you've worked out that a 5 on an AP is considered in the neighborhood of an A on an A-level).

Imo, you don't need to worry about the relative rankings of the medical program. They are all approved courses, and the differences between them won't be enough to jeopardize your passing the medical exams.

However, I would also ask why you want to study medicine in the UK. Is it b/c you think you have a better chance of being accepted? (may not be true) b/c you don't want to do 4 years of uni + 4 years of med school? (if so, you might check out 6 year programs in the US & Canada) b/c you want the abroad experience? (if so, have you checked out the requirements for getting licensed to practice medicine in the US if you have a foreign medical degree and/or have you checked out the requirements for getting a work permit if you are a non-national in Europe?). A lot of questions back to you!

Thank you for your help too! (I feel like a parrot here, but really, I'm trying to sound/be sincere even if it's not working very well) And hmm, to be honest, I'm not sure exactly. I have five countries in mind (including America). I'm looking into the UK, Australia, Canada, and NZ (I think I said this before, but even though I could technically go to Spain/China, I'm really not interested in re-learning all of the scientific terminology). However, I'd rather go to the UK or Canada than to Australia or New Zealand. The latter are both gorgeous places and have great people, I have no doubt about it, but that is honestly much too far for me considering I don't even have any roots there. I live on the East Coast and I'm near enough the Canadian border that I could go to Canada without feeling too far from home, yet I'm also far enough away that I won't feel suffocated. The UK would also be doable, since even though it is definitely far away, it's not Australia/NZ far away. I really don't know why, but "only" having the Atlantic in-between the UK and my home is comforting to me. It's easier for me to think about than the fact that if I went to Australia, I'd have the Pacific and the whole of the United States in-between there to my home.

These are all options for now, but I want to be as informed for this as I possibly can. :cool: There's an accelerated med program at this college/uni (I forget what the college is called), except I really don't know. Heh. I definitely sound really clueless here. XD But to sum it all up, this is just information gathering for me. I'm not set on anything yet, except that I have a rough idea of what I want to do when I'm older.
Reply 3970
fyi, here is the info for Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, which is a 6 year program (straight from high school):

United States:
Applicants must present the High School Graduation Diploma with competitive marks in (i) biology, (ii) chemistry and (iii) either physics or mathematics.
It is strongly recommended that candidates present competitive scores from one of the following standardised tests, APs, IB, SAT, SAT II or ACT.
For candidates presenting the APs:
Applicants must present a minimum of 3 AP’s with minimum score of 4 points in each from the subjects Calculus, Chemistry, Physics and Biology and achieve a competitive High School Diploma cumulative GPA. Please note all requirements stated above are minimum academic criteria and do not guarantee admission to RCSI.

Mind you, tuition is high: €50k pa!
Reply 3971
Any applicants/offer-holders for ESPS at UCL?
Original post by Veneta

These are all options for now, but I want to be as informed for this as I possibly can. :cool: There's an accelerated med program at this college/uni (I forget what the college is called), except I really don't know. Heh. I definitely sound really clueless here. XD But to sum it all up, this is just information gathering for me. I'm not set on anything yet, except that I have a rough idea of what I want to do when I'm older.

I don't know if this is helpful at all, but I've just been through the medicine application process for 2012 entry. Other people have done a much, much better job of answering your questions than I ever could, but if you have any questions for an American who's fought the dragon and lived to tell the tale I'd be more than happy to give them a go.

I'm not sure how the application process turned into a dragon. It seemed totally reasonable when I was writing that sentence, and then became weird upon rereading.
Original post by c1k1449
Any applicants/offer-holders for ESPS at UCL?

Yep, I have a conditional offer for ESPS that I firmed a while back. :smile:

Edit: really? I get negged for that? I think someone's been stalking me around TSR and negging all of my posts lately...
(edited 12 years ago)
Finally heard back from all of my choices :smile: Does anyone have any input as to which unis are strongest for politics/IR? I have offers from St Andrews, Edinburgh, Durham, Bath, and York and am unsure which to firm (its may be worth noting that Bath is the only uni that has any significant conditions attached to the offer).
Reply 3975
Original post by sierrag95
Finally heard back from all of my choices :smile: Does anyone have any input as to which unis are strongest for politics/IR? I have offers from St Andrews, Edinburgh, Durham, Bath, and York and am unsure which to firm (its may be worth noting that Bath is the only uni that has any significant conditions attached to the offer).

partly depends where you want to be after uni...English people seem to rate Durham as just behind Oxbridge & LSE in prestige, but outside the UK it isn't as well known. Americans tend to know Edinburgh and St. Andrews better. Suggest reviewing the course details, consider what the living arrangements are like, consider what the place is like (Edinburgh is a great uni town, some of the others are, well, less urban).
Original post by sierrag95

Durham. But I'm inherently biased.

-I'd certainly pick Durham over the scottish unis, if only to save the extra yr (3 yr degree vs. 4 yr degree). You could have a masters+BA from Durham in the same amount of time as an undergrad degree from a Scottish uni. Not only do you save time, but you'll save money.
I just got my first "UCAS Application Status Notification‏" email and I am hyperventilating. I'm scared to check :/

:afraid::afraid::afraid::afraid::afraid::afraid:

EDIT: It's a conditional offer to Durham!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DCDude
partly depends where you want to be after uni...English people seem to rate Durham as just behind Oxbridge & LSE in prestige, but outside the UK it isn't as well known. Americans tend to know Edinburgh and St. Andrews better. Suggest reviewing the course details, consider what the living arrangements are like, consider what the place is like (Edinburgh is a great uni town, some of the others are, well, less urban).

Original post by adam0311
Durham. But I'm inherently biased.

-I'd certainly pick Durham over the scottish unis, if only to save the extra yr (3 yr degree vs. 4 yr degree). You could have a masters+BA from Durham in the same amount of time as an undergrad degree from a Scottish uni. Not only do you save time, but you'll save money.

I do plan on staying in the UK if possible, so, taking everything into consideration, I'm thinking Durham is my best bet- I've lived in a small town all my life, so I don't really mind the size of the city.
Original post by cricket123
I just got my first "UCAS Application Status Notification‏" email and I am hyperventilating. I'm scared to check :/

:afraid::afraid::afraid::afraid::afraid::afraid:

EDIT: It's a conditional offer to Durham!

Congrats! I can definitely relate to the feeling you get after seeing the UCAS email, haha. What course did you apply to and what are your conditions?

Quick Reply

Latest