Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Americans applying to university in the UK

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
Join our Forum Game competition to win up to £60 in vouchers! 27-11-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Imperial costs around 22k per year for Internationals. UCL, oxford and cambridge all cost around 14k per year.

any idea why Imperial costs are so high.. higher than UCL for example?

Thoughts?

thanks.
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mpc1)
    Imperial costs around 22k per year for Internationals. UCL, oxford and cambridge all cost around 14k per year.

Thoughts?

thanks.
    Well, compared to Oxbridge it's definitely because Imperial is right in London. However, I can't really account for the difference compared to UCL. It's probably a combination of Imperial wishing to get more money from internationals, and having to pay more for equipment, staff, and such.

Is Imperial and UCL's domestic fee the same? If so, it's probably just Imperial being a bit more greedy.

For what subject are you comparing the unis?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    how many hours of homework do AP classes give generally...? I just wanna hear what you guys say!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gurmeet.Kapoor)
    how many hours of homework do AP classes give generally...? I just wanna hear what you guys say!
    That's really an impossible question to answer- it depends completely on your school and teacher, not to mention the class.

If you just want to hear about my experiences (which are by no means representative), last year I got about 40 min. of AP English Lang. a night, 1-2 hours of APUSH, and maybe 15 min. of AP French at the most. This year, 40 min. of AP English Lit., rarely 10 min. of AP Psych, and none for AB Calc. (my friend and I managed to convince our teacher to stop giving us homework because we're so ahead of the class Not because we're good at math. Because our class is that bad.) But I go to a ****ty public high school that does a terrible job of preparing students for anything, so...all of these classes should probably give a lot more homework than what I just mentioned.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahassociates)
    T
    Have you finalised UCL accommodation? If so, which hall is recommended? catered? Also what is the difference between student house and hall of residence in UCL? http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...sidences/halls Has your accommodation been confirmed?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

Haha this has probably been addressed already on here but I was wondering about meeting requirements before you apply? I don't have many AP's as of now (current junior) , but I know that next year (senior year) I will be taking a lot more. So if I apply to the schools I want to, whilst under the requirements, do I still have a chance of getting in?

Thanks!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punctuation)
    Well, compared to Oxbridge it's definitely because Imperial is right in London. However, I can't really account for the difference compared to UCL. It's probably a combination of Imperial wishing to get more money from internationals, and having to pay more for equipment, staff, and such.

Is Imperial and UCL's domestic fee the same? If so, it's probably just Imperial being a bit more greedy.

For what subject are you comparing the unis?
    Currently all domestic students pay the same for any University and any course (excepting the Open Uni etc). As of the 2012 intake, all domestic students will pay between £7,500 and £9000 per annum. The large majority of Unis are charging the full 9k. This is almost treble the current fees hence the Student riots a few years ago (not to be confused with the London riots of last summer- we riot a lot these days )
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justanotherperson)
    Hey everyone!

Haha this has probably been addressed already on here but I was wondering about meeting requirements before you apply? I don't have many AP's as of now (current junior) , but I know that next year (senior year) I will be taking a lot more. So if I apply to the schools I want to, whilst under the requirements, do I still have a chance of getting in?

Thanks!
    Definitely, but you'll probably get conditional offers instead of unconditionals. In my experience, most unis don't ask you for much more than the minimum requirements anyway(depending on where you apply, of course-but only one of my five choices did).
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bea492)
    Currently all domestic students pay the same for any University and any course (excepting the Open Uni etc). As of the 2012 intake, all domestic students will pay between £7,500 and £9000 per annum. The large majority of Unis are charging the full 9k. This is almost treble the current fees hence the Student riots a few years ago (not to be confused with the London riots of last summer- we riot a lot these days )
    Oh, yes, I know about that. I was referring to the increased tuition fees. Then again, I assume all the top unis will be charging the maximum amount. I wanted a figure to compare to see if one uni charged more domestic tuition, which would explain the increased international tuition. Thank you for your help!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punctuation)
    Oh, yes, I know about that. I was referring to the increased tuition fees. Then again, I assume all the top unis will be charging the maximum amount. I wanted a figure to compare to see if one uni charged more domestic tuition, which would explain the increased international tuition. Thank you for your help!
    Ah no problem yeah all top and actually pretty much everywhere, even polys are charging the max 9k. No idea why Imperial charges so much more for internationals!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If it's any consolation (in the misery-loves-company kind of way), fees for medicine as an international are mind boggling. I'm looking at something just shy of £50,000 pa.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

Thanks!
    How many APs have you taken?

It also depends on the degree you are applying for and how many other tests you have taken (SATs, ACTs, SAT IIs, IB, etc).

Most likely, you will get a conditional offer (if you plan to take APs next year).
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teamnoether)
    If it's any consolation (in the misery-loves-company kind of way), fees for medicine as an international are mind boggling. I'm looking at something just shy of £50,000 pa.
    Per year?!!!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bea492)
    Per year?!!!
    Sadly... yes.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sadly... yes.
    :eek: Wow. That is crazy!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

Thanks!
    You would probably want to have a few under your belt, but Oxbridge, LSE, etc. will want to give you conditions, and in my (limited!) experience it seems to be 3 APs. They aren't expecting you to be done, but need some to see that you are on the right path.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    AP Lang
    AP Lit
    AP Econ
    AP Psychology
    AP Stat
    AP Euro

Those are the APs I plan to take over the next two(Junior and Senior) years...(Psychology is self study)

Right now, I am taking English 10, Algebra II, and Modern World History(pertaining to the APs I wanna take)

Engilsh and History are pretty good grades(B+ range) and Math is a bit...bad(C range)

So what I was planning to do is this:

Junior Year;

AP Lang
    AP Euro
    AP Stat

Senior Year:

AP Lit
    AP Psychology(Self Study)
    AP Econ

I think that is suitable, except the fact that for Junior Year, they offer Data Analysis as well, which is like an intro to Statistics for half a year...

I know you guys wouldn't know about my school as much, but are these APs good enough to apply to (good/great) universities in the UK? Not counting SATs and my general GPA?

Thankss
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mpc1)
    Have you finalised UCL accommodation? If so, which hall is recommended? catered? Also what is the difference between student house and hall of residence in UCL? http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...sidences/halls Has your accommodation been confirmed?
    Are you thinking of the intercollegiate halls? I want to pick my dorm soon, but I can't really tell which one's better online!!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Whoa, which school is that??? I thought most medicine courses are between 20 to 30 thousand pounds? My vet course in London's a little more than 20,000, and that's considered not cheap!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mpc1)

Thoughts?

thanks.
    Science based degrees tend to cost more than arts/humanities (labs, equipment etc). For example Cambridge natural sciences, engineering etc is ~£20k + £4/5k college fee so. Medicine is ~£31K + college fee.
    Imperial only does science based subjects so it'll naturally cost more.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 9, 2014
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.