The Student Room Group

Americans applying to university in the UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thesmiter
I'm going to ask my counselor about the HAT very soon and see what he thinks. I desperately need to take it at my school. The nearest open testing center is a 6-7 hour drive down to San Diego...

Your school should be able to arrange the test for you, but even if they can't you can take it at a local college or even a library, which is where I took mine admissions test. You just have to phone around and ask if they offer test proctoring services, which most do.
Reply 4121
Wow, that's tiny. I would take a place in History, but I guess my second choice after History and Politics would be History and Economics.

Arielvale and Avash27 have been talking about PPE, which might really suit you. FYI, the Oxford rep on their road show said that it is the most common course for US students to apply to, which obvs. makes it more competitive. BUT, really the first, last and most important thing to remember about Oxford is that (assuming if your numbers are in the right range), what will really matter is demonstrating to the tutors that you have a strong, well developed interest in, and aptitude for, the subject. (Note that it is not an Admissions office- it is your actual future teachers who decide who comes). There are some Oxford podcasts on iTunes, and in one of them a History tutor says that basically, they don't really care if their students are well-rounded, because most of them (the tutors) aren't terribly well rounded- that they love really their subject, and want to teach students who are excited about it.

I will check out the Oxford 2013 forum, but I feel as though I might get lost there, since I'm not actually a British student...

Actually, I think it's pretty accessible, and you get a ton of information - and there are very few of the obnoxious types as on the US version (CC, that is!). Plus, if you are serious about going to the UK to study you might as well get to know them! There were some pretty great people on the 2012 thread.
Original post by sixdaysinthesun
Your school should be able to arrange the test for you, but even if they can't you can take it at a local college or even a library, which is where I took mine admissions test. You just have to phone around and ask if they offer test proctoring services, which most do.

Sweet. I'm pretty sure my school will let me register to take it there though, because we're also a testing site for the SAT and proctor over 3000 AP tests yearly. I just need to talk to my counselor to see if we're registered or if we can register. In the unlikely event that we can't, I'll definitely use that tip about the public library! Thanks!

[QUOTE="DCDude;37009859"]
Wow, that's tiny. I would take a place in History, but I guess my second choice after History and Politics would be History and Economics.

Arielvale and Avash27 have been talking about PPE, which might really suit you. FYI, the Oxford rep on their road show said that it is the most common course for US students to apply to, which obvs. makes it more competitive. BUT, really the first, last and most important thing to remember about Oxford is that (assuming if your numbers are in the right range), what will really matter is demonstrating to the tutors that you have a strong, well developed interest in, and aptitude for, the subject. (Note that it is not an Admissions office- it is your actual future teachers who decide who comes). There are some Oxford podcasts on iTunes, and in one of them a History tutor says that basically, they don't really care if their students are well-rounded, because most of them (the tutors) aren't terribly well rounded- that they love really their subject, and want to teach students who are excited about it.

I will check out the Oxford 2013 forum, but I feel as though I might get lost there, since I'm not actually a British student...

Actually, I think it's pretty accessible, and you get a ton of information - and there are very few of the obnoxious types as on the US version (CC, that is!). Plus, if you are serious about going to the UK to study you might as well get to know them! There were some pretty great people on the 2012 thread.

Should I post my stats? History grades, AP scores, maybe even an essay? My goal for high school was to take and ace ALL of the History APs at my school - World, Euro, US, Econ, Gov/Comp, even Psych. I took Human Geography as a freshman as part of a non-credited school course. Freshmen aren't even allowed to take APs at school.

I've also posted on the Americans going to UK thread on CC, and the people there seem friendly enough, but this is the more active board. I'll pop in to the Oxford 2013 thread sometime this weekend when I have time to pore over messages.
Reply 4123
Ahhh, not to drop in and mess up all the Oxford talk, but I just wanted to see, on the off chance, if anyone here might be attending Queen Mary in the fall?
What do schools mean exactly when they ask for certain scores in "relevant" APs? For example, a couple of the universities i'm looking at applying to want 4s or 5s in at least 3 relevant AP exams. But say I want to study English, my school only offers 2 APs for that subject, so how would I meet the requirement of having taken 3 relevant APs?
Reply 4125
Original post by foiledagain
What do schools mean exactly when they ask for certain scores in "relevant" APs? For example, a couple of the universities i'm looking at applying to want 4s or 5s in at least 3 relevant AP exams. But say I want to study English, my school only offers 2 APs for that subject, so how would I meet the requirement of having taken 3 relevant APs?

They'd just mean not having lots of science/math subjects... You'd want to have APs in softer subjects, like history options, languages, psychology? Not that having science/maths would be bad, either way, but just have at least three essay-based subjects!
Original post by sarahoo
Queen Mary in the fall?

Not Queen Mary but SOAS. Wish I could join you in London, but I might be stuck here in the States for another year. :frown:

How are ya finding Queen Mary?
Reply 4127
Original post by I Kant Spall
Not Queen Mary but SOAS. Wish I could join you in London, but I might be stuck here in the States for another year. :frown:

How are ya finding Queen Mary?

SOAS, that's a great school! Why stuck in the states, though?

I've not actually started yet, but will be starting in the fall. I'm mega excited :] I've been living in London for a year now, though. It's a gorgeous city.
Original post by sarahoo
SOAS, that's a great school! Why stuck in the states, though?

Finances. :frown:

It's an unconditional offer, but I feel like I never should have applied. I'm also more drawn to the sciences and math (quantitative subjects) nowadays, which most certainly is not what I applied for at SOAS, among other unis. I may be an idiot for turning down SOAS/St Andrews/Edinburgh/Leeds/Manchester and going to an American community college, but it appears to be my only option as of now. :shot:

Best of luck with your studies at QMUL. What degree are you pursuing?
Original post by I Kant Spall
Finances. :frown:

It's an unconditional offer, but I feel like I never should have applied. I'm also more drawn to the sciences and math (quantitative subjects) nowadays, which most certainly is not what I applied for at SOAS, among other unis. I may be an idiot for turning down SOAS/St Andrews/Edinburgh/Leeds/Manchester and going to an American community college, but it appears to be my only option as of now. :shot:

Best of luck with your studies at QMUL. What degree are you pursuing?

I hope this isn't too forward, but your posts have made me sad so I'm going to be bold at the risk of being presumptuous. Not that there's anything wrong with community college, but it doesn't seem like it's what you want to do.

I'm actually a graduate from a US university, but I've decided to change trajectory and am going to study in the UK next fall. In the three years since graduating, I started a tutoring business - the running of which is now my full-time job. Among other things, I get paid large sums of money to help people with their applications to American universities. If you're on waiting lists in the US, I'd be happy to take a look at a letter or two (or anything else) by PM.
Reply 4130
For those applying to both US and UK

US deadline is May 1. Most of the US schools say one should pay the deposit and hold the offer ONLY in that school.

So, do people withdraw all the UK offers before May 1 .. As the due date for Firm/insuring in UK is June 7 only for internationals.

Can someone please advise on the CORRECT procedure to go about this?

Thanks and really really want your advice.
Original post by new123
For those applying to both US and UK

US deadline is May 1. Most of the US schools say one should pay the deposit and hold the offer ONLY in that school.

So, do people withdraw all the UK offers before May 1 .. As the due date for Firm/insuring in UK is June 7 only for internationals.

Can someone please advise on the CORRECT procedure to go about this?

Thanks and really really want your advice.

These may help:

http://theuniguide.tumblr.com/post/17041456481
http://theuniguide.tumblr.com/post/16875967115
Sweet. I'm pretty sure my school will let me register to take it there though, because we're also a testing site for the SAT and proctor over 3000 AP tests yearly. I just need to talk to my counselor to see if we're registered or if we can register. In the unlikely event that we can't, I'll definitely use that tip about the public library! Thanks!

Hey, about the test, I took the TSA last autumn. In any case, I took it at a local "test center" - it cost about $100-200, but it was taken with several other applicants. For the TSA, I think 10-20 others were in the room. You may find it off-putting, but I personally found it very enjoyable to meet others with my subject and from my country applying! :smile:

Wow, that's tiny. I would take a place in History, but I guess my second choice after History and Politics would be History and Economics. Of course, frankly, I'd be happy enough getting into Oxford - getting the exact course I want to take would make me cry tears of joy. I'm going to ask my counselor about the HAT very soon and see what he thinks. I desperately need to take it at my school. The nearest open testing center is a 6-7 hour drive down to San Diego...

Also, what's the interview like? How was it conducted?

Well, scratch what I said about the test center. I strongly recommend joining the Oxford 2013 thread! My experience with the thread of 2012 entry was very positive, and I'm sure they are very nice people there again this year. :smile:

Also, it completely depends on your financial situation and willingness to miss a few days of school, but I also recommend flying over there to have the interview in person. Trust me, it is an unsurpassed experience to stay in accommodation, eat in hall, meet other (wonderful, really nice!) applicants, visit the city, etc. It's really worth the money, and it's a great experience, even if your application isn't successful. If you go this route, joining the aforementioned 2013 thread will really bolster your sociability during interviews; you may even choose to meet those friends you make on the thread! :smile:

Best of luck with your application!
Reply 4133
Original post by punctuation
Hey, about the test, I took the TSA last autumn. In any case, I took it at a local "test center" - it cost about $100-200, but it was taken with several other applicants. For the TSA, I think 10-20 others were in the room. You may find it off-putting, but I personally found it very enjoyable to meet others with my subject and from my country applying! :smile:

Well, scratch what I said about the test center. I strongly recommend joining the Oxford 2013 thread! My experience with the thread of 2012 entry was very positive, and I'm sure they are very nice people there again this year. :smile:

Also, it completely depends on your financial situation and willingness to miss a few days of school, but I also recommend flying over there to have the interview in person. Trust me, it is an unsurpassed experience to stay in accommodation, eat in hall, meet other (wonderful, really nice!) applicants, visit the city, etc. It's really worth the money, and it's a great experience, even if your application isn't successful. If you go this route, joining the aforementioned 2013 thread will really bolster your sociability during interviews; you may even choose to meet those friends you make on the thread! :smile:

Best of luck with your application!

Second Punctuation's advice about going over for the interview- start saving now if you need to! Lots of people get in doing Skype interviews, but there really is nothing like the real thing.
Reply 4134
Second Punctuation's advice about going over for the interview- start saving now if you need to! Lots of people get in doing Skype interviews, but there really is nothing like the real thing.
I agree, and I don't. Between myself and my dad we paid about 5,000 each for an international ticket and accommodation. It is worth it - but it's an expensive rejection if you end up rejected. Luckily I was not, but you end up having a lot of free time of unstructured activity, which is nice, but it's expensive socializing.

Your milage will vary.
Original post by DCDude

I agree- Oxbridge takes extremely few Americans as it is, and you don't want to put yourself at a disadvantage to begin with. Also, I have no idea if this is a factor- but logically, flying over to interview is kind of a way of proving that you can afford the school to begin with, since there are basically no financial aid opportunities, and strong US applicants are likely to have applied to big US schools that can offer huge scholarships. And from what I understand, Oxbridge hate getting turned down in favor of other schools.
Reply 4136
Original post by arra
I agree, and I don't. Between myself and my dad we paid about 5,000 each for an international ticket and accommodation. It is worth it - but it's an expensive rejection if you end up rejected. Luckily I was not, but you end up having a lot of free time of unstructured activity, which is nice, but it's expensive socializing.

Your milage will vary.

Yikes! Don't scare people off- we did it for under $2k all in from east coast U.S.. Mom/dad didn't come for a start- they can't be with you anyway- so we had a driver do pick up @ Heathrow and deliver to the college porter, where there was somebody waiting help. Meals and accommodation are provided, so just a bit of spending money was needed. I don't know this as a fact but I would guess that you are more likely to get multiple interviews if you are right there and it is easy for them to organize. You definitely get more of a feel for what you might be signing up for.
(Too many people to post a quote, yikes!)

I can't afford an international trip to England, as much as I'd love to. I'm traveling to China over the summer as part of an exchange program and might be touring East Coast colleges as well, so traveling isn't really a viable option. Money will be tight without financial aid, but we'll manage well enough, especially if I can at least get a part-time job to cover my own personal expenses.

Anyway, I talked to my school's dean, who runs the testing programs at school (SAT logistics, etc.), and he's willing to register the school if I can forward him the instructions and stuff. I'm so excited, I don't think many from my school have even applied to the UK.
Reply 4138
Original post by sarahoo
Ahhh, not to drop in and mess up all the Oxford talk, but I just wanted to see, on the off chance, if anyone here might be attending Queen Mary in the fall?

Not Queen Mary, but I'll be in London. :smile: I got an offer for UCL with fairly easy conditions.
Reply 4139
Original post by DCDude
Yikes! Don't scare people off- we did it for under $2k all in from east coast U.S.. Mom/dad didn't come for a start- they can't be with you anyway- so we had a driver do pick up @ Heathrow and deliver to the college porter, where there was somebody waiting help. Meals and accommodation are provided, so just a bit of spending money was needed. I don't know this as a fact but I would guess that you are more likely to get multiple interviews if you are right there and it is easy for them to organize. You definitely get more of a feel for what you might be signing up for.
Ouch! You're right, I meant to say that between the two of us it was about 4-5k. Not each! You're right, parents don't need to come but my Dad wanted to come check the place out as well - never been. So it depends on what you want, I guess. :smile:

Quick Reply