The Student Room Group

Americans applying to university in the UK

Scroll to see replies

lacey521
awwh glad to inspire xD if you have any questions or wanna talk feel free to ask/pm me :smile: i know when i was applying i was dying to talk to someone who'd gone through the same thing haha.

my advice for now: dont get overwhelmed. just take it one day at a time. if i made it, you certainly can :biggrin: (my parents were dead set against me going haha, they've come around now but the whole thing was quite difficult without their support :P very happy i still managed now)

Thank you! I will message you in case i need some information! :smile:
My mom said *OK* JUST OK. hahaha i bet once i get accepted *hopefully* she'll be like *since when did i said yes?* LOL but i dont mind, its my decision.
and it is really hard. :frown: I dont have any support from anyone, my bf is even against it too, but i really want to go. so im gonna do my best to get the best scores and SAT I/II. I didn't do IB programme, i can't do it whilst im working and doing some other stuff. All they told me was, they need my HS Diploma and SAT I/ score and if i don't have the AP i can just give them my SAT II score.

I wonder why they are not asking me much. :s-smilie:
Thats one thing thats worrying me. But how come the UK students they are going crazy about this and it sounds like its hard to get in. :s-smilie: I know its hard but why do they ask a lot from EU/UK citizens students.

And also, whos gonna pay for your fare/accommodation/tuition fees?
Im only depending on loans and i will apply/get more bursaries in the university.
I can't ask anything from my parents. :s-smilie:
xSkyFire
You can if you want :biggrin:

Also I don't think they do biology as a course but they have human sciences.. :dontknow:
It's all about the biomed program though, pick any modules you want in year 2 and 3:woo:

OOh i see!!

Ill do more thorough research about that! :smile:
Thanks! :smile:
Reply 42
kristinaalovesu
what you mean KCL pls? Please tell me KCL is good in biology? If they are, i will definitely consider it.

btw i have a question! If anyone can answer this:

Do we(international students) have to go through clearing too, if we didn't get in or what?

Look into UCL and Imperial if your looking for something science-ish and want London.

Int'l students get to be included in clearing. Arguably they are at an advantage because legally they can only fill a certain quota for UK students. Any left over spots can't go to UK students. Right now, for example, Durham has physics open...but only for int'l students.
Reply 43
kristinaalovesu
My mom said *OK* JUST OK. hahaha i bet once i get accepted *hopefully* she'll be like *since when did i said yes?* LOL but i dont mind, its my decision.
and it is really hard. :frown: I dont have any support from anyone, my bf is even against it too, but i really want to go. so im gonna do my best to get the best scores and SAT I/II. I didn't do IB programme, i can't do it whilst im working and doing some other stuff. All they told me was, they need my HS Diploma and SAT I/ score and if i don't have the AP i can just give them my SAT II score.

Thats one thing thats worrying me. But how come the UK students they are going crazy about this and it sounds like its hard to get in. :s-smilie: I know its hard but why do they ask a lot from EU/UK citizens students.

Im only depending on loans and i will apply/get more bursaries in the university.

It sucks not getting support. My parents push me to a certain school (U of M), but they are willing to support me (mentally and financially)
since its my decision.

They are actually pretty on board with it. Which is pretty cool.

The scores they post are a minimum. Understand most Americans applying will have AP/IB/uni. So if you can take 3+ SAT 2's, and score 1800+ on the SAT I...I'd say you've got a solid shot.
adam0311
Look into UCL and Imperial if your looking for something science-ish and want London.

Int'l students get to be included in clearing. Arguably they are at an advantage because legally they can only fill a certain quota for UK students. Any left over spots can't go to UK students. Right now, for example, Durham has physics open...but only for int'l students.

wow. interesting! but a bit unfair. but its an advantage for me :awesome:
adam0311
It sucks not getting support. My parents push me to a certain school (U of M), but they are willing to support me (mentally and financially)
since its my decision.

They are actually pretty on board with it. Which is pretty cool.

The scores they post are a minimum. Understand most Americans applying will have AP/IB/uni. So if you can take 3+ SAT 2's, and score 1800+ on the SAT I...I'd say you've got a solid shot.

Your parents are so cool! :s-smilie: I envy you!

I will do my best to get at least 1800+ of SAT I and II. The only thing that bothers me is the MATH. Im like really really stupid when it comes to it.

I think in glasgow or aberdeen they told me i should have at least 1600+ for SATs I. im like wow! not much! haha.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 46
kristinaalovesu
wow. interesting! but a bit unfair. but its an advantage for me :awesome:

I'm not complaining! How far are you with UCAS?
Reply 47
kristinaalovesu

that's kinda how my parents were. they were like "ok you can apply but you're not going if you get in you know..." quite discouraging :P but dont let itput you off.

it was sortof like this for me too. all they wanted were my SAT I/II scores and they also accepted ACTs. i'm not even sure they asked for my transcript or GPA :confused: my school sent it anyway of course. dont worry too much though, just give them what they ask for ^_^

I got a loan to pay for some of it, other than that i am fortunate enough that my parents are supporting my decision and helping me out financially. sounds like you may have it a bit more difficult, i mean you dont have to really sort out financial stuff until you're in but it looks like you'll be relying on loans, scholarships and your own funds to get you through. i'll be honest with you, it's going to be a challenge as UK schools arent nearly as generous with scholarships as US universities. definitely give it a try though, you never know, you could figure out funding :smile:

my replies in bold ^^^
Reply 48
kristinaalovesu
You're parents are so cool! :s-smilie: I envy you!

I will do my best to get at least 1800+ of SAT I and II. The only that bothers me is the MATH. Im like really really stupid when it comes to it.

I think in glasgow or aberdeen they told me i should have at least 1600+ for SATs I. im like wow! not much! haha.

I'm suprised glasgow only asks for 1600. Not suprised at aberdeen. Yeah math is a complete disaster for me. Got a 570, but none of the unis I'm applying to take the SAT I.
adam0311
I'm not complaining! How far are you with UCAS?

Im preparing for UCAS, i made an account but haven't started it yet, do i have to start early?
My exams for SAT I/II is gonna be on SEPT/OCT/NOV. so i think its more better if i start it once i get the grades and stuff. Im not completely sure yet about the personal statement. :frown:
Im not sure how to start it. Im still trying to do/practise the British words too.
adam0311
I'm suprised glasgow only asks for 1600. Not suprised at aberdeen. Yeah math is a complete disaster for me. Got a 570, but none of the unis I'm applying to take the SAT I.

You mean they didn't want your SAT I? why? how come?
lacey521
my replies in bold ^^^

Yeah haha.

I wont complain about what they ask and just give it to them! haha :mmm:

I know!!! Im relying everything on my own, well also because i dont want my mom to give me money not unless i really really really sort of need it. :biggrin: but other than that, if she ever help me in the end like what your parents did, i might not take a lot of her money, she needs her money more than i do. im gonna just find a part time job or at least SAVE money from my job right now. Its kinda hard to save but im still trying you know. :-) I think what i know is that UK unis dont offer much scholarships to international students, because they are getting money from us since the UK citizent students dont pay anything at all (Thats what i heard here in TSR)

Thanks lacey! :smile:
Reply 52
adam0311

It's not been put up on the website for this year, but last year Glasgow was 1800 with no score lower than 600 and at 650 in certain areas for certain courses. They also had a GPA requirement of 3.2, and an ACT of 28. I think Edinburgh was exactly the same, Aberdeen a little less strict, and St Andrews wanted 650 in all areas- but it gets proportionally (to the number of available places, not in total number) the most American applicants by a mile. They haven't finalised entry for 2011 yet, all universities usually do that by the end of September.
Hi, everyone!

I'm an American student (Yeah NJ!) looking to study archaeology in Edinburgh, Aberdeen, or Glasgow. Edinburgh's my first choice.

I'm banging my head against the wall over my personal statement. Help!

Everyone who's having trouble with a certain section of the SATs try taking the ACTs. The composite score hides your lower score.

Also, the last of my two bits, I swear, if people are trying to keep you from going to the UK for study, ignore them! My guidance consular doesn't want me to apply to any schools in the UK and the head of the history department is against it even though she is "thrilled" I want to study archaeology focusing on Roman conquest of the Celts.

Hang in there!
jayjaybird33
Hello fellow Americans :biggrin:!!

I'm applying to UCL, KCL, Roehampton and Edinburgh for Language/Lingusitcs.

My family is so agianst me going its riddic. But I'm hoping to get in.

Right now I have 2 AP's one at a 3 and the other at a 5. But I'm taking 5 (FIVE!) AP classes this year that I should do fairly well get 4/5 in at least 4 of them. I have trouble in my English AP's though.

My ACTs are at 32 which is well above what the Uni's are asking for (why are they asking for so low?)

I'm so nervous I have no idea what to do in my personal statement and I'm afriad my family won't pay for it because they don't want me to go o.O. (The US military will pay for my college in the states but I don't want to..)

Where you study is your choice, nobody else's... except the admissions officers. Go where you want.

I'm also doing the 5 AP courses in one year route. Crazy, right? Take the AP tests in the subjects you feel strongest in. If you don't feel that you would do well on the English AP exam then save your money and focus on your other exams. Though, you may surprise yourself. I was debating whether to send my score to Edinburgh because I was sure I would get a 3 or lower. I ended up getting a 5. I'm still not sure how that happened....

You seem to have a very strong application so far. If you don't want to wait for AP tests in the spring, try taking the SAT II sooner. In my experience, they're easier than the APs.

As for money, apply to as many scholarships as possible. Send me a PM and I'll send you the link to the scholarship search service I use. It's free!

If you don't want to study in the US and if you don't want to join the military then don't! If your scores are any indication, then you must be rather bright and will have no trouble winning scholarships.

Good luck!
Reply 55
Hello,
I am in the midst of doing UCAS at this moment. I am really hoping to get into a University in the UK, and if I am lucky enough I will be attending school in the UK or elsewhere in Europe next year! :smile: I'm applying to Edinburgh, Aberdeen, and Queen Mary's, King's College, and Royal Holloway within the University of London. King's is my top choice. Keep you updated on what happens.
Reply 56
kristinaalovesu
OMG! You're chilena!! :smile:
I just find it awesome, im not chilean but my bf is. :-)

Im not making any sense at the topic. :P
Just want to say hi!!!!

Hola! :P
was he not here when the earthquake happened? if he wasn't, that must have been scary! cellphones didn't work correctly for a while. fortunately it was true that most buildings are earthquake-proof here. :yes:
Mysterywriter221
Hi, everyone!

I'm an American student (Yeah NJ!) looking to study archaeology in Edinburgh, Aberdeen, or Glasgow. Edinburgh's my first choice.

I'm banging my head against the wall over my personal statement. Help!

Everyone who's having trouble with a certain section of the SATs try taking the ACTs. The composite score hides your lower score.

Also, the last of my two bits, I swear, if people are trying to keep you from going to the UK for study, ignore them! My guidance consular doesn't want me to apply to any schools in the UK and the head of the history department is against it even though she is "thrilled" I want to study archaeology focusing on Roman conquest of the Celts.

Hang in there!

Hey there! Future archaeologist too, huh? *high five!* I, too, want to focus on Classical Archaeology. :biggrin: Just the thought of it makes me giddy inside. Now, about your personal statement, I'd be happy to help! (Even though, technically, you're competition as Edinburgh is my first choice, as well.... :p: )

Actually, I don't know how to help as I practically whipped up mine out of errant thoughts that seemed to go well together. My advice would be to not want to try and sit down and get it done in one sitting. It didn't work that way for me. Try one paragraph. Then another. And another. Don't worry about order, yet.

Just write one paragraph about each topic (a list of which can be found right here on TSR) and then work on making it flow. I would also suggest submitting it to the PS Helpers on this site. They are ace and without them, my PS would suck. Trust me, it has been beat up, torn down, and reposted quite a few times but the end result is worth it. Refining it and keeping it original is the hardest part, which is why the phenomenal helpers are there. I've had to write multiple drafts and each one is better than the last.

Anyway, hope this helped! :yes:
Ivana_jj
Hola! :P
was he not here when the earthquake happened? if he wasn't, that must have been scary! cellphones didn't work correctly for a while. fortunately it was true that most buildings are earthquake-proof here. :yes:

:biggrin: No he wasn't in chile when it happened, his family live here and maybe sometime he mighr visit chile to see his granpa. :smile:
I know, did you feel the earthquake over there? He doesn't live in santiago though, his hometown is chillan. :biggrin:
lacey521
my replies in bold ^^^

LACEY! i was wondering, what did you submit to the unis? I mean, did you submit you SAT I and II? or did you also do some AP classes? All in all, what are the things you submit to them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending