The Student Room Group

Americans applying to university in the UK

Scroll to see replies

acbi3
International Relations at one of the school and Geography and the Study of Religions at the other

That's one tough personal statement. Three different courses into one. I'm doing all law, and then one of the schools I'm doing criminology..and quite frankly the PS has very little to do with criminology. So I can't even fit in two relatively similar subjects...no way could I fit in 3 seemingly different subjects.
acbi3
Why is it so important you submit your application early? One of my universities told me they don't look at any applications until after Jan 15. I have to wait until I get my October SAT scores before I submit mine.

Most schools do the rolling admission thing. Anyone who applied by November in last year's thread, seemed to have an offer within 2 weeks.
EcstaticMuse
Similar feelings over here. But, I too am waiting on my reference to be finished. Hopefully, I can get it out by the end of this week. If not, I'll just be a wreck this entire weekend.

It's funny we were all waiting patiently to submit our UCAS the second it was available, and now none of us are submitting it for a bit.

I got everything done. I'm just waiting on an email to make sure I'm good to go on my 5th choice. I'll have it out either tomorrow or Thursday. More likely Thursday though.
Reply 143
adam0311
That's one tough personal statement. Three different courses into one. I'm doing all law, and then one of the schools I'm doing criminology..and quite frankly the PS has very little to do with criminology. So I can't even fit in two relatively similar subjects...no way could I fit in 3 seemingly different subjects.

Hey, sorry, I forgot to mention I am applying for (Politics &) International Relations/Studies at four schools and then Geography and Study of Religions at SOAS. I am only focusing my personal statement on international relations.
adam0311
It's funny we were all waiting patiently to submit our UCAS the second it was available, and now none of us are submitting it for a bit.

I got everything done. I'm just waiting on an email to make sure I'm good to go on my 5th choice. I'll have it out either tomorrow or Thursday. More likely Thursday though.

Haha, you're right! Well, I'd been expecting it to open the 15th so by then, for sure I would have sent it the day of but it kind of sprang up on us! I'm just waiting to get my reference and stuff in tomorrow, my final PS draft reviewed, and voila!
Reply 145
I am still deciding on my fourth and fifth universities, but after school tomorrow I will try to make my final decision and send off my application!
I wish the best of luck to all you guys!!!!!!!!
Reply 146
EcstaticMuse
Haha, you're right! Well, I'd been expecting it to open the 15th so by then, for sure I would have sent it the day of but it kind of sprang up on us! I'm just waiting to get my reference and stuff in tomorrow, my final PS draft reviewed, and voila!

Yeah hahaha I can definately say for me the extra time I THOUGHT we had made me re-think my choices!!! So now I am not sure and it has sprung on us! I am still excited though! :banana:
alygoots
Yeah hahaha I can definitely say for me the extra time I THOUGHT we had made me re-think my choices!!! So now I am not sure and it has sprung on us! I am still excited though! :banana:

Thanks, best of luck to you, too!
:eek3: This is me, at the moment, though, because I'm (GASP!) rethinking my course. Not rethinking it, necessarily, but I have other interests (namely Scandinavian Studies- Swedish). And out of the two, I always knew I wanted to do archaeology, I just did. But now, I'm freaking out. This is a deciding factor in my life. And... I know this is awful to say, but there aren't that many job opportunities for archaeologists. And most of the money for this degree is going to come from loans, grants, etc. So it's a lot of money to be paying for a course that perhaps might not land me a job. At the same time, though, I know I'll regret it if I don't at least try. Sorry to flood you with frustration and angst but I'm all AHHHHH right now. I need to get my act together. Don't get me wrong, I am passionate about my subject (archaeology/classical civilisations) but at the same time, I know, deep down, no matter how much I try to deny it, that as wonderful as a degree as that would be, I wouldn't know what to make of my life after graduation. Oh, decisions, decisions. AHHHH.
Momentary weakness, I feel. I'm sure we all have that. Ok. I'm ok now.
Reply 149
EcstaticMuse
Momentary weakness, I feel. I'm sure we all have that. Ok. I'm ok now.

No, that's normal. I've had this about committing to studying one subject as well, but I think deep down you know which subject is right for you to study.

Now I can't decide between my last two choices... Royal Holloway or University of Aberdeen? I am trying to have at least one school I will have an unconditional offer to with my stats.
acbi3
No, that's normal. I've had this about committing to studying one subject as well, but I think deep down you know which subject is right for you to study.

Now I can't decide between my last two choices... Royal Holloway or University of Aberdeen? I am trying to have at least one school I will have an unconditional offer to with my stats.

Personally I would go with Royal Holloway--the place looks likes hogwarts for god sakes and more importantly it's in London. But because the scottish system and the american system are more similar, you are more likely to get an unconditional from Aberdeen. On the other hand, Aberdeen may make a conditional offer dependent on the high school graduation diploma.
Made my final decision, and just sent UCAS. It's a big relief...now comes the waiting games. I ended up picking two courses with Durham (law and criminology), Edinburgh (law and politics), LSE (law), and chose Queen Mary (law) instead of of Bristol.
Reply 152
I've just sent mine!!!
How exciting!
In the end, I decided on Cardiff, SOAS, Exeter, and then took the plunge and did York and Sussex (to have at least one unconditional).
Reply 153
i everyone, i'm new here, my name is diana and i'm from portugal.
there's no thread called 'portuguese applying to university in the uk' xD so i just thought i could get in touch with you guys
di.
i everyone, i'm new here, my name is diana and i'm from portugal.
there's no thread called 'portuguese applying to university in the uk' xD so i just thought i could get in touch with you guys

Oi, Diana! Assumo que voce fala portugues? Desculpa, mas o meu portugues escrito nao e muito bom. Pois, welcome! Qual "course" que voce quer estudar? Isso vai ser muito bom para eu poder praticar. Moro nos Estados Unidos, obviamente, e nao tem muitas oportunidades fora da minha familia para poder falar com pessoas do Brasil ou Portugal. A minha familia e Brasileira mas tenho muitas primas no Portugal!

No problem and welcome to the thread! :yep:
Reply 155
alygoots
I've just sent mine!!!
How exciting!
In the end, I decided on Cardiff, SOAS, Exeter, and then took the plunge and did York and Sussex (to have at least one unconditional).

Hello,
What are you applying for at SOAS? I was thinking of applying there too... but I am not sure, as I would like to have two "safety" schools, and right now I only have one.

What are your qualifications? Mine are satisfactory, but not outstanding Oxford/UCL/LSE qualifications.
I was going to apply for Geography with Comparative Religions at SOAS, while applying for International Relations at 4 other schools. I'm worried about my personal statement being all focused on international relations and not mentioning geography, while applying for that at SOAS.

Anyways, good luck! I won't be sending my application out until the end of October, once I receive my last SAT scores.
Reply 156
acbi3
Hello,
What are you applying for at SOAS? I was thinking of applying there too... but I am not sure, as I would like to have two "safety" schools, and right now I only have one.

What are your qualifications? Mine are satisfactory, but not outstanding Oxford/UCL/LSE qualifications.
I was going to apply for Geography with Comparative Religions at SOAS, while applying for International Relations at 4 other schools. I'm worried about my personal statement being all focused on international relations and not mentioning geography, while applying for that at SOAS.

Anyways, good luck! I won't be sending my application out until the end of October, once I receive my last SAT scores.

hey! I am applying for Law at SOAS.

My qualifications are on the 5th page, and something like the 17th post down! You'll see it! Mine are not that great either, but pretty much on par with all the universities I applied to except Sussex, which is like my definite safety. For a little while I thinking of making a reach for Warwick but I ended up not doing it.

Yeah I think making a personal statement to suit those subjects is rather tricky. I applied for Law at all my universities, though some had minor differences like Law and Politics, or Law with International Relations, but they are still in the same general subject area so I did not have a very hard time.
Reply 157
EcstaticMuse
Oi, Diana! Assumo que voce fala portugues? Desculpa, mas o meu portugues escrito nao e muito bom. Pois, welcome! Qual "course" que voce quer estudar? Isso vai ser muito bom para eu poder praticar. Moro nos Estados Unidos, obviamente, e nao tem muitas oportunidades fora da minha familia para poder falar com pessoas do Brasil ou Portugal. A minha familia e Brasileira mas tenho muitas primas no Portugal!

No problem and welcome to the thread! :yep:

olá estaticmuse, o teu portugues é optimo.
preferes que fale em portugues certo ?
eu estou a tirar medicina dentaria na universidade de coimbra, estou no ano. e quero ir para uk para tirar uma pos graduaçao em cirurgia oral ou implantologia, nao decidi ainda . e gostava de falar com alguem que estivesse dentro do assunto para me poder informar e tomar uma melhor decisao.

if there's anything you dont understand just tell me :smile:
Reply 158
Hey everyone! I looks like most of the people in this thread have already sent off their applications, so I might be a bit late to the party, but I'm from Arizona and I'm looking to study chemical engineering over in the UK. The problem is that I'm having a hard time figuring out where I should be looking since most university websites simply say they consider SAT and AP qualifications on an individual basis. Here's my stats:

SAT I: 2110 total
- 740 Reading
- 700 Math
- 670 Writing
SAT II:
- 780 Literature
- 770 Math Level II
- 720 Physics
APs:
- AP United States History - 4
- AP Physics B - 4
- AP Latin: Vergil - to be taken
- AP Calculus AB - to be taken
- AP Biology - to be taken
- AP Chemistry - to be taken

I'm looking into Edinburgh, but I also want to look at schools in England. Any ideas for where I should start looking?
Question: Do we have to submit all AP's/all sittings of SAT/ACT etc? Or if we got a poor grade on one AP exam (ahem, Statistics... *cough, cough*), could we just not list that under qualifications? I think I remember reading somewhere that it would be considered withholding of information and that they could completely withdraw your application. Any ideas?

Quick Reply

Latest