The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

The East Slope Car Park Party III

Oh yes people, oh yes!

Once again we will turn the new East Slope Car Park into party central! If any of you have seen the pictures of the last one, you'll know what to expect (500+ people, music, alcohol and fun). You really won't have experienced anything quite like it before and I think it'll be a good way to throw people into the Sussex spirit :biggrin:

We'll be advertising it all week, at some point we'll actually decide what day it's going to be on (we're talking with Roger, the president of USSU to arrange something), but it'll probably be before the Freshers' Ball (possibly Tuesday).

You'll see the chalking around campus, there'll be posters and stuff around, BUT....It's going to happen :smile: At the moment, we have 2 seperate sound systems, one will probably be DnB/hip-hop and the other will probably be indie/cheese. There'll be cheap drinks on sale (pound for a can, pound for a shot and mixer), a BBQ and a few other surprised :biggrin:

Oh, oh, oh. I wish I could tell you lot more!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
We love you...
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
sounds cool i can't wait, cheap booze, just gotta work out what time i have to be in on weds lol
Reply 3
:biggrin: should be fun! i'm deffo gonna go!!
Reply 4
ahhhhhhhhhhhhh anderson my friend you are a legend. seriously there is no question of a doubt that anyone who is anyone will be there. YOU HAVE TO GO!!!!! it'll be amazing. who cares about the next day, i've been to a seminar at 9 in the morning in the same clothes i went out in the night before and without any sleep. this is the sort of stuff uni is about :biggrin:
Reply 5
very true lol
Reply 6
oooh i cant wait i'm all excited now.
Reply 7
the last ones were amazing, definitely the thing needed to welcome all those freshers to their lives for the next 3 years!!
Reply 8
I wanted to ask u guys, Do u think its gonna be hard coming to the uni for the second year? for Computer science
Planning to have a wicked time during freshers week :biggrin:
and staying at park village 16H Any neighbours????
Reply 9
Yianni-D
I wanted to ask u guys, Do u think its gonna be hard coming to the uni for the second year?

...what exactly do you mean by that?
In what way would it be hard?
Elementalism
At the moment, we have 2 seperate sound systems, one will probably be DnB/hip-hop and the other will probably be indie/cheese.

Thank God (& you) for catering to both tastes.

I've been so dreading that I'll be nervously smiling to indie/cheese all of Fresher's week.
But there is some salvation in sight. :smile:
The freshers ball bit of the USSU site does suggest that people try everything, "even indie!", suggesting to me that indiepopkids like me are in a suprising minority...

Though I suspect that it's all just a general mish mash really.
Reply 12
The last one was purely DnB and some bloke put on funky house and got passively kicked off.
Reply 13
dogtanian
The freshers ball bit of the USSU site does suggest that people try everything, "even indie!", suggesting to me that indiepopkids like me are in a suprising minority...

Though I suspect that it's all just a general mish mash really.

i wouldnt say indie is a minority at all, its just some people in the indie crowd (not pointing fingers at you) put themselves above other genres, like everything else is *****, when really indie really isn't that AMAZING or different at all. Loads of people get into indie when they start uni, or thats what i found last year, but quite a few, me included, just fell out of it quite quickly. Like I like the music and everything, but the indie scene, like some of the people are like 'oh i heard that aaaages ago, thats old news'. Its music for f***s sake, who cares when you heard it! I think that justifies the 'even indie' comment - accompany it with a sort of eye-rolling gesture towards the indie-ites!
I do like quite a lot of indie but i'm not one of those types you were mentioning. I listen to all sorts of genres rock/punk/metal/reggae/ska/cheese/classical if i'm in the mood... I could never assign myself to just one genre. I don't understand music snobbery, just listen to what you like and if anyone else has got a problem with it, let them deal with it! Its not just the indie scene where you get people like that though, it happens for other types of music too.

By the way, party sounds great! :biggrin:
Ah, I get you. Yeah, there are a lot of idiots. But they tend not to like very indie stuff anyway... I know that's now me being snobby, but they'd at least have an excuse if they didn't let the NME dictate their CD collection. Maybe they sneer at everyone else because they're terrified of being thought of as mainstream? Hopefully they'll grow up and not limit themselves to one style of music and embrace it all. Even stuff, oh no, in the top twenty! Or that doesn't have a guitar in it!

Indie is my first love, but I'll listen to most things. And there is some amazine, diverse and just completely different indie out there. But there is a heck of a lot of average stuff too.

Ah, it ain't about good genres. It's about good songs. :smile:
purple_haze
Its not just the indie scene where you get people like that though, it happens for other types of music too.

Emo/hxc kids ::shudders:: are the absolute worst for that I think...Moaning that their bands are under-appreciated and then mysteriously going off them the second they appear on Kerrang...
Elementalism
The last one was purely DnB and some bloke put on funky house and got passively kicked off.

Nice! :yy:

I was at a D&B night in Brixton the saturday before last, properly mentalist.
Technically a 'Jungle' rave, which is the same besides some Jamaican emcees.

Funky house is probably what I end up imagining when someone says "clubbing"... very blah.
Better than Hard House, Deep House, Tech House and every kind of Trance, though I have to
admit to a certain penchant for Soulful house. Brazil's output especially is top-class.
Reply 18
i just realized something! if it's on tuesday, i won't be able to go to the school daze thing that's happening at the creation nightclub! call me sad, but i was kinda looking forward to that. if it came down to it, i'd come to the east slope car park party, cause it sounds like there's gonna be better music there. at the school daze thing, it's "70's, 80's, 90's, best of old skool anthems" and as good as that would be, i'm sure the east slope party would be better.
^^^ So does that mean that if we're doing the East Slope party,
we don't have to worry about bringing our crappy old school ties? :smile:

I can't find the sheets nearby, but I thought the Creation / school dealy
was on the Wednesday nite after the official Pub Crawl event. I forget.

Latest